PDA

View Full Version : I am retarded... (05 Suz DR-Z400SM)

AlphaFire X5
11-16-2006, 09:53 PM
...errr, I mean MOTARDED!!!

I am now the proud owner of a practically new 2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM. I love it already.

To those of you who don't know, a supermoto is essentially a dirt bike with bigger brakes and sticky tires on wider rims. They weigh in between 250 and 300lbs, typically, and have an AMA race class all their own.

I have only ridden the thing 30 miles or so, mostly highway, but I am in love already. It has comparable power to the GS, but weighs about a hundred pounds less. It only has a 5 speed gearbox, but the gears are tall and the powerband is as wide as the RPM range. The thing is very light and very tossable. It has a practical top speed of about 80, but it can go higher if you give it the room. But below that... and look out.

I can honestly say that I have never laughed as much as I did when I rode home on the DR-Z than I ever have in my life. I was laughing so much and so loud that my friends could hear me; inside the truck; with the windows up; and the engine on. It's not exactly the quietest engine, either. It's a 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel (F-250). I am still laughing and giggling about it now.

The suspension is fantastic for my weight. The front springs are perfectly matched for a 130 lb rider, and they are fully adjustable inverted forks. The rear is a bit stiff for my weight according to RaceTech, but I didn't notice a problem with it yet.

But seriously. It's an absolute blast to ride.

Pictures later.

Thanks Chirpy!!

Squeaky
11-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Congrats!
How soon will you have that bad boy out on the track? I'll take the pics if you loan me the digicam!

wonder91178
11-16-2006, 10:01 PM
I am retarded...

Well, we didn't want to say anything :nana:

Congrats!

AlphaFire X5
11-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Congrats!
How soon will you have that bad boy out on the track? I'll take the pics if you loan me the digicam!

I'll be going to MSR (Not sure whether Houston or Cresson) next year, early if possible. Gotta use that track day credit!

Chirpy
11-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Glad you made it home without freezing...I was a little worried.

If you had fun on 35, wait'll you cut through downtown tomorrow...your mouth will ache from all the laughing. It's a silly, silly fun bike. Kinda miss it already. My son was crushed.

I'm glad it found a good home. I expect to see some pictures soon.

makenzie71
11-16-2006, 10:41 PM
you heard me, foo!

I didn't know there was a track in Houston...

Thermalser
11-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I got to toss around a friends DRZ out in the Hill Country last year. Fun bike!

Good luck with it!:rider:

AlphaFire X5
11-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Glad you made it home without freezing...I was a little worried.

If you had fun on 35, wait'll you cut through downtown tomorrow...your mouth will ache from all the laughing. It's a silly, silly fun bike. Kinda miss it already. My son was crushed.

I'm glad it found a good home. I expect to see some pictures soon.

Yeah, I thought I'd be out there earlier so I had my warmer weather gloves. My hands were actually warmer than my legs thanks to those hand guards though. Never lost feeling, as it only got down to 50 or so.

I can't wait to take it out tomorrow. I'm going to have to find a place to park it though since I lost my parking sticker on my other bike and, well, it's a sticker so it stays where it is. I get to talk to the transportation people tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks Daryl, I absolutely love this thing already.

Hotboot
11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
That's great news bud, was hoping you could make the deal with Chirpy. We'll never catch you in the corners now.
So....you riding up with Pops tomorrow to offer me a test ride ?

AlphaFire X5
11-16-2006, 11:40 PM
That's great news bud, was hoping you could make the deal with Chirpy. We'll never catch you in the corners now.
So....you riding up with Pops tomorrow to offer me a test ride ?

On the contrary, I'll be headed down to San Antonio to spend some time iwth the girlfriend and maybe go to Cycle Ranch to take some motocross shots for my photography project.

My dad says he wants to test ride it though. I can't blame him. :mrgreen:

Squeaky
11-16-2006, 11:48 PM
...and maybe go to Cycle Ranch to take some motocross shots for my photography project.

So who takes the pics when you're the one riding?
There's no way Alyssa can ride with you now - she'll have to get her own! :rider:

Hotboot
11-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Be sure to share some good photos and of course get the new SM sideways while there. :trust: Can the g/f get some shots while you ride ?

AlphaFire X5
11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
So who takes the pics when you're the one riding?
There's no way Alyssa can ride with you now - she'll have to get her own! :rider:

Naw, I'll be photoing, not riding :(

And if I get some spare body work for this one, I might let her ride it around :mrgreen:

Be sure to share some good photos and of course get the new SM sideways while there. Can the g/f get some shots while you ride ?

I don't think I trust myself in the dirt just yet. It's been a long time since I was, so I want to take it easy when I do go. Not sure I want to do it on street tires either. I'm ballsy, but not that ballsy yet.

1TallTXn
11-17-2006, 12:11 AM
maybe I'm weird, but I'm more comfortable in the dirt and more willing to try stuff there then I am on the street. Course it could be that I spent $500 on my XR and $6000 on the VFR :eek:

oh yeah, I'm really jealous, I mean, Congrats! :thpt:

DancesWithCurves
11-17-2006, 11:06 AM
That there's a sweet ride IMO. ('Course, I'm a bit biased...)

AlphaFire X5
11-19-2006, 10:55 PM
maybe I'm weird, but I'm more comfortable in the dirt and more willing to try stuff there then I am on the street. Course it could be that I spent $500 on my XR and $6000 on the VFR :eek:

oh yeah, I'm really jealous, I mean, Congrats! :thpt:

I wouldn't mind getting a little dirtbike (with better suspension than the 1980 Yamaha XT250 or the 1981 SuzukiTS250 my father has) to learn how to properly control the thing in a slide. Maybe I'll buy a spare set of plastics for dirt use that I don't mind tearing up.

Chirpy
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
XR100! Can't beat 'em in the backyard...

I'll be mailing your BoS tomorrow, I drove around with it in the truck all day Satruday and forgot to mail it :doh:

chiricahua
11-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey Congrats, you gotta hit up lime creek road. May be there tomorrow around 10ish!

AlphaFire X5
11-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Hey Congrats, you gotta hit up lime creek road. May be there tomorrow around 10ish!

Still gettin' used to the DR-Z and want to get my boots in before I deal with LCR... but maybe sometime soon!

Think we can go to a big lot and slide around? Maybe you can show me some tricks to help me get comfortable with foot out.

chiricahua
11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Sure. Let me know when you have time. Dirt is really great for learning or starting to slide. You'll like the boots. :rider:

AlphaFire X5
11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Sure. Let me know when you have time. Dirt is really great for learning or starting to slide. You'll like the boots. :rider:

Yeah, but going to the dirt would require some dirt wheels and tires, right? I tried some dirt riding when I was at Cycle Ranch in Floresville, but even the slightest touch of the front brake caused the wheel to lose traction. It was soft dirt though. Street wheels with street tires on a street bike ridden by a street rider in a whole lot of dirt... let's just say it doesn't mix. :mrgreen:

I can't fork over cash for dirt wheels, which is why I figured taking it slow in a big empty lot would suffice for a while too. Maybe I'll try and get my dad out to a dirt park with our dirt bikes (1980s 250cc dual sports) and try that.

chiricahua
11-28-2006, 06:49 AM
There is a paved lot by my house, but pavement hurts.:eek2: And I did mean dirt with the street tires not dirt tires. :trust:

There are a few basic principles when riding on the dirt with street tires.

Like don't use the front brake unless you are going straight.:mrgreen:

And if you are going to turn while carrying any type of speed, well then you are going to slide.:mrgreen:

You'd be surprised what the DRZ can do in the dirt.:clap:

Once you get your boots and feel comfortable on the bike let me know. We'll take it easy and just cruise.:clap: Maybe RearViewMirror can join us for a ride.:rider:

AlphaFire X5
12-02-2006, 02:04 AM
My SM picked up a nail in the rear tire on Tuesday night, so it's been stuck at my parents' place for the past couple of days. I have a lot of stuff planned for it this weekend including:

tube patch/replacement
valve check
radiator flush
oil change
CFC Case Guards
Kick start kit
Acerbis Supermoto front fender

Stay tuned for pictures...

chiricahua
12-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Bummer bout the nail. I'd put a new tube in and patch the old for a spare. Sounds like you have a good list of stuff to do.
First Valve service shouldn't be till bout 14, 500. But it's always fun to check.
Take a picture of your camera also. I'd like to see what you took those MX pictures with.

AlphaFire X5
12-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Bummer bout the nail. I'd put a new tube in and patch the old for a spare. Sounds like you have a good list of stuff to do.
First Valve service shouldn't be till bout 14, 500. But it's always fun to check.
Take a picture of your camera also. I'd like to see what you took those MX pictures with.

My first valve check is for the 600 mile service, which I kinda forgot (didn't have time) to do.

I ran into some complications though... My valve check turned into a valve adjustment, because I had to replace an exhaust shim. So after replacing the shim (had to go to the dealer to trade out the shim) and reinstalling the camshaft etc and finishing up... things got worse.

While my father was trading out the shim at the dealer I started the kick start kit install. When he got back I finished the valve adjustment I got back to work on the kick start kit. However, when I got to reinstalling the clutch assembly after finishing the kick start kit my father advised me to tighten down the clutch springs pretty tight, which resulted in destroying part of the clutch basket. He felt bad, I felt bad, I need a new clutch basket. :lol2:

When I get the new clutch basket, all I have to do is pull the side case off, replace the basket and reinstall all the clutch plates, then put on the tank and all the bodywork and I'm good.

So, maybe a week? Ehhh, I have schoolwork to do anyways.

ppar
01-19-2007, 10:38 PM
any updates of the SM? or any pics?

AlphaFire X5
01-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Updates - I got the kickstarter installed, and it works great! I actually enjoying kicking the thing over more than e-starting it a lot of the time.

The front fender cured my high speed twitchiness issue, and it looks a heck of a lot better than stock. Personally, I have only added two things to the bike, because Daryl already had so many fantastic upgrades already installed. My mod priority at the moment is to get a new rear shock spring (matched to my weight) and get that installed, and then have the suspension set up to my weight. It might take me a while to do that though, as I am a broke college student :lol:!

With all the nasty crap on the roads, the bike is pretty dirty right now. The moisture combining with the dust on the gravel and sand creates a really dirty water that gets kicked up by cars all over the bike. I'll take some more pictures sometime today if I can and post them up. :)

ppar
01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
excellent!!!

Where do you go to school?

AlphaFire X5
01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Where do you go to school?

UT Austin. Mechanical Engineering undergrad.

Pics later. I got lazy after work today and didn't get pictures of the bike. Oh well. Soon, though.

ppar
01-21-2007, 08:50 PM
You ever ride the bike to school?

AlphaFire X5
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
You ever ride the bike to school?

All the time, no matter the weather condition. I'm crazy like that, but it beats having to ride the sauna bus filled with tons of people. Plus, the parking is awesome.

ppar
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
well, I go to UT Austin as well and walk my *** to school... at least until I find my motard.

Where do you park this baby at? I would love to take a swing by and see her in person.

AlphaFire X5
01-22-2007, 01:15 AM
well, I go to UT Austin as well and walk my *** to school... at least until I find my motard.

Where do you park this baby at? I would love to take a swing by and see her in person.

Typically right in front of the engineering buildings. I got it in November, so when I had it last semester it spent its time divided between the Engineering buildings, and in along 21st street in front of the Littlefield Fountain. Now essentially all my classes are in the engineering buildings, so it is going to stay there most of the time. Mon/Wed it'll be by the stadium, as I have a fencing class in the morning. :) But after that it'll be back to the engineering buildings.

ppar
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
don't be alarmed if you come back to your bike to find drool all over the seat:-P

Chirpy
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I can't say what I want here. :-(

AlphaFire X5
01-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't say what I want here. :-(

???

Why not?

Chirpy
01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Well if you'd clear some PMs I'd let you know...let's just say I decided to save the mods the trouble of editing the post.

AlphaFire X5
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Well if you'd clear some PMs I'd let you know...let's just say I decided to save the mods the trouble of editing the post.

Try now. I never realized it was full.

AlphaFire X5
03-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Update on the DR-Z:

I bit the bullet today to buy a new tail light for the bike. It's a DRC Edge taillight, the same one that jsb22 posted pictures of on his in the Mods section. For $50 shipped (from Langston Racing) rather than $60 + shipping (from Wheeling Cycle Supply) it was hard to resist.

I also bit the bullet on tires. I've been debating over the past week or so whether or not to spend $140 on an OEM replacement rear tire, a Dunlop D208SM, or to spend $200 on a brand new set of Continental ContiForce Supermotard tires. I decided on the Contis in a 150/60 rear and a 120/70 front. I plan on pulling of my front D208SM and selling it to help offset the cost of the Contis.

Apparently I'm rough on tires, according to some. After 3000 miles my rear tire is hitting wear bars and cupping pretty badly, essentially entirely from commuting. Either that, or the OEM tires are REAL soft.

Pics and stuff when everything comes in.

ppar
03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
good call on the Edge tail light... let me know if you have any questions about installing it... the directions are in Chinese :eek2:

also... where did you buy your new set of tires at?

Hotboot
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
New shoes are good for your health.

Chirpy
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
After 3000 miles my rear tire is hitting wear bars and cupping pretty badly, essentially entirely from commuting. Either that, or the OEM tires are REAL soft.

The 208s continue the tradition of the 207s, they are real soft and 3000 or so is all you can expect.

chiricahua
03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
+1

3000 is a lot. I got 1800 off of the 208SM rear.

You'll like that DRC tail light.:clap:

AlphaFire X5
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
good call on the Edge tail light... let me know if you have any questions about installing it... the directions are in Chinese :eek2:

I got a call from Langston Racing this morning, informing me that my order was going to be delayed about 5 days while they waited on getting the Edge tail lights in since they were out. Apparently someone hacked into their system and created a coupon code that didn't exist, then posted it up on ThumperTalk. They had to cancel a bunch of orders, but thankfully mine is still in, and they are still giving it to me for $50 shipped! There's a company that goes on my Highly Recommended List now.

I'll let you know if I have any questions, but I should hopefully be able to figure it out. Let's see if all this engineering education pays off.

also... where did you buy your new set of tires at?

http://www.americanmototire.com/

The 208s continue the tradition of the 207s, they are real soft and 3000 or so is all you can expect.

Whew! I did some reading on ThumperTalk and some people were getting 3 to 4k out of their 208SMs, and about 6k from the standard 208Zs. So apparently the rubber compounds ARE a bit different.

3000 is a lot. I got 1800 off of the 208SM rear.

Yeah, but you are crazier than I am! :lol2:

I hear some people only getting 1200-2000 out of the Contis. If that is the case, I might have to go with something different when they wear down. We'll see.

chiricahua
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Langston Racing! :clap: Super Nice guy. Great store. It sits near the entrance of Lake Elsinoreís MX track. Which was 28 miles from my last house in Cali. There was a trail you could take on a Dual Sport all the way to the track. Awesome track. I still have a membership. The Vet track is one funfest and one of the safest tracks Iíve ever ridden on. The main track is pure insanity. They have an 80-90 foot table top that I did once. Scary stuff. I like to say Iím to old for that stuff but the truth is Iím skurdÖ..:eek2:

Anywho, the 208Z tire is pure crap.:doh: I was concerned when I got the DRZ with the 208SM tires on it. But itís a whole different compound in itself. One of the best tires that Iíve ever ridden on the street. Just not worth the replacement price and the wait to order it.

And Iím not crazy.:eek2: I like to call it calculated. However like stupid, miscalculations hurt. :mrgreen:

Chirpy
03-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Well now that you got a tail light, go for the real bling, and they are even on sale!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/motostrano_1940_6852910 (http://www.motostrano-store.com/mafoalsuwh.html?whence=)

Only $1630.00!

chiricahua
03-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Those are Sweeeeeeet!:sun:

Looks like the Monster at Miller in Utah!

http://www.motostrano-store.com/mafoalsuwh.html?whence=

AlphaFire X5
03-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Those are hot... but I like the look of spokes :)

Plus, spokes absorb impacts better; that means I can take this thing of some sweet jumps and not be too worried. Some gold hubs though...

chiricahua
03-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Marchesini Supermoto Wheels! Here is the ad.:clap:

Compared to spoke wheels, Supermotard mags offer a 110 percent improvement in rigidity and a 35 percent weight and inertia reduction per set. This remarkably improves a motarderís stability under braking, in tight corners and when quickly flipping directional changes. These wheelsets come in 3.5 x 16.5 or 17 front and 5.0 x 17 rear sizes. Due to their unique design, wheel/tire temperatures reach optimum heat quicker, ensuring the best grip in all conditions. Their tubeless technology and antiĖpuncture systems eliminate use of inner tubes, their spokes require no maintenance between races. As if these benefits werenít enough to seal the deal, the mags install easier, and in most cases, give extra space for upgraded brake systems.

35 percent weight and inertia reduction per set. = Mo Power to weight ratio. Anything lighter spins Mo faster.

I know the price is high:eek2: but it's way more than a bling thing.
I would never buy any. Did I say never :mrgreen:

Bear on a bicycle
03-17-2007, 11:56 AM
It's only money... I'd love to get a set for my 'S'. It'd be nice to swap back N forth.

AlphaFire X5
03-17-2007, 01:05 PM
It's only money... I'd love to get a set for my 'S'. It'd be nice to swap back N forth.

Yeah, but you have wheels for dirt, so swapping in for a street set would be good. I wouldn't mind a set of dirt wheels for my SM, but $600 is a little out of my price range at the moment. Ah well.

AlphaFire X5
03-25-2007, 02:11 AM
After much struggling, muscling, and general frustration, I finally got my new Continental tires on. They were surprisingly difficult to put on, and getting the valve stem on the tube through the hole in the wheel... jeeze, such a pain!

When I did finish getting them on it was too dark out to take pictures, so here are pictures I took after washing the bike and before putting tires on.

One-eyed duck:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1388.jpg

Macro:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1390.jpg

Lying on the ground (I am, not the bike!):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1372.jpg

Bikes look best from the right side when not in motion:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1373.jpg

See?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1386.jpg

Closeup of my radiator guards (bling!):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1402.jpg

Here you can see how chewed up the leading edge of my old rear tire is:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1397.jpg

I need to go on more sport rides. Commuting leaves chicken strips :(
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1395.jpg

I'm going on a ride on LCR tomorrow and should hopefully get some action shots of me on the DR-Z.

Squeaky
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
The bike looks awesome!
Any chance you're coming out to TWS on the 7th?

AlphaFire X5
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
The bike looks awesome!
Any chance you're coming out to TWS on the 7th?

Nope. TWS is too large of a track for my bike. I'll be at GrandSport Speedway on April 21 and 22 though!

1TallTXn
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Nice pics :thumb:

only one problem, your fueling my desire for a Motard :argh:

Hotboot
03-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Sweet looking bike Brian. I thought a lighter bike might get better than 3K on 208's but I guess not. Is your Dad doing a track day with you and are you coming to the FZ rally in June ?

AlphaFire X5
03-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Sweet looking bike Brian. I thought a lighter bike might get better than 3K on 208's but I guess not. Is your Dad doing a track day with you and are you coming to the FZ rally in June ?

The 208s are not the D208ZRs, but the D208SMs, a different compound tire. I have heard of people getting over 6k on the standard D208ZRs.

My father SHOULD be coming to the track day with me in April. I'll be riding on the 21st, he'll be riding on the 22nd.

If everything works out (school, etc) then I should be coming along with him to the FZ rally. If I do, I am probably going to do nothing but the Dragon up and back for the whole weekend! :)

AlphaFire X5
04-09-2007, 01:04 AM
New tires, new tail light!

Look how nicely that tail end is cleaned up:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1496.jpg

My father and I made some custom brackets to hold the turn signals in their original position:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1499.jpg

The front tires turn to slicks for the outside inch of the tire. Traction is amazing:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1502.jpg

Rear tire has grooves all the way through:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/IMG_1504.jpg

Bear on a bicycle
04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Looks great! So, how do you like your SM anyway??

AlphaFire X5
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Looks great! So, how do you like your SM anyway??

I love it. Wonderful bike for what I'm doing. Commuting around downtown and campus area here in Austin, occasional sport ride, a track day once or twice a year. It's hard to beat 45mpg of stupid fun! :)

ppar
04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
you know what would look good on that bike don't ya? A Yosh pipe:sun:

Bike is looking good... I am ordering some pilot powers for mine now... those conti's look nice though

AlphaFire X5
04-09-2007, 02:18 PM
you know what would look good on that bike don't ya? A Yosh pipe:sun:

Yeah, but man I am broke now! I have some bars on order (I think, checking into it) because I think my stock ones are tweaked slightly. I am getting some ProTaper SEs for $20 or so, brand new. :) The big purchase was the new mesh jacket (Vanson Vent Max3) as my current one doesn't fit me as well as I'd like. That, and even with the slip on I'd still need to drop some more money on a jet kit. Maybe in the near future, though. :rider:

ppar
04-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, but man I am broke now! I have some bars on order (I think, checking into it) because I think my stock ones are tweaked slightly. I am getting some ProTaper SEs for $20 or so, brand new. :) The big purchase was the new mesh jacket (Vanson Vent Max3) as my current one doesn't fit me as well as I'd like. That, and even with the slip on I'd still need to drop some more money on a jet kit. Maybe in the near future, though. :rider:

where'd you find the pro tapers?

AlphaFire X5
04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
where'd you find the pro tapers?

I'll let you know AFTER I get mine! :lol2: I just really want to make sure that I can get them before they all sell out.

Bear on a bicycle
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Funny, I almost bought a set of these yesterday @ Cyclegear for about $65...

AlphaFire X5
06-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I got some bling for the DR-Z. Exhaust heat shield, front sprocket cover, and rear disc brake guard, as well as a set of engine guards (which I can't use).

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/CFspocket.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/AlphaFire_X5/DR-Z400SM/CFpipeCover.jpg

I also got my suspension dialed in by the guys at AF1 Racing; great bunch of guys there and really friendly and affordable!

I can't flatfoot anymore, but I am on the balls of my feet even with a full tank of gas. As measured, I had roughly 85mm of sag in the rear, and after maxing out the shock for all practical purposes they got it to mid- to high-40s. The front didn't need to be adjusted much, as it had 48mm of sag right off the bat. Just a few clicks on the rebound and compression dampers to even the front and back out, and the front was good to go. The rear shock was too softly sprung even for MY weight and should probably be resprung if I ever get around to it.

I didn't want to do it myself because I don't know a **** thing about adjusting suspension, and since this is the first time I've had fully adjustable suspension I'll just trust someone to do it for me. It would have taken me a few hours had I done it on my own, but they knocked it out in about 30 minutes.

Haven't had a chance to ride it much yet, but it has a bit more even turn in that I've noticed already, even with my squared off rear tire (from commuting). I practiced locking the rear tire up while bringing it around to the side (just getting used to the tail coming out) and it felt very controlled and comfortable. I'll have to try backing it in pretty soon here.

chiricahua
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Carbon Fiber :trust: Drool!

Seems like with your weight the suspension would have worked out better for you than it did for me and my 200+ Butt.

Next time you're' on SMJ search for "Backing it in" and you'll see how to use the clutch and not the rear brake. Just gotta find the touch with the clutch. You need to bang it down a few gears and ease it out slowly. Just like a Woman. LOL.

Bikes looking good.:clap:

Oh yeah, the front end isn't fully adjustable so if you like the way it feels after the adjustment you might want to upgrade it. It would be worth it if you can feel the difference that well.

Hotboot
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
So if the bike is under-sprung for you, I can only deduce the spring is there to merely hold the scooter up with a tank of gas.

Nice CF additions btw....

AlphaFire X5
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Carbon Fiber :trust: Drool!

Yeah, not a bad deal for $10!

Next time you're' on SMJ search for "Backing it in" and you'll see how to use the clutch and not the rear brake. Just gotta find the touch with the clutch. You need to bang it down a few gears and ease it out slowly. Just like a Woman. LOL.

Yeah, I've read the articles on backing it in, just have to work up the nerve to try it. I wasn't comfortable with the tail coming out on me, and that's mainly what I was just getting used to. I didn't have a lot of room to work, so just kicking the tail out with a locked rear was fine for me at the time.

Oh yeah, the front end isn't fully adjustable so if you like the way it feels after the adjustment you might want to upgrade it. It would be worth it if you can feel the difference that well.

Eh, it's only missing preload adjustment, and since it wasn't horribly off on sag I don't think it really matters for me. I'm not going to put much money into this bike, except maybe a pipe/3x3/rejet. I want to keep this as my commuter bike, and save my money for a bigger weekend/long trip bike, such as the '06 Speed Triple in white. :)