PDA

View Full Version : Ducati M695

sharkey
11-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Never owned a Duc but might have to change that after 2 test rides.

Me and the wife talked w/ Scott from AMS at the cycle show about Ducati's new Monster 695. It is totally reworked for 2007. Scott invited me to do a test ride at their Dallas store and on 11/22 I headed over there at lunch. Seeing that my wife rides w/ me 50% of the time on the Burgman 650, I wanted her to ride on the back so we headed over there on 11/24.

The mini - Monster is a hoot. 73hp from an air cooled engine provided enough power for 2 up riding on I35 at 80mph. It is a naked bike so I did catch some wind but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I would add the headlight windscreen if I got one. The mirrors shaked a bit but I could still see pretty clearly. Seat position is pretty standard upright w/ maybe a just a slight lean. Rear suspension is adjustable for preload. Set up seemed OK but we didn't ride any twisty's in downtown Dallas. Biggest asset to the bike is the slipper type clutch. It is VERY easy to pull and forgiving if you haven't perfected switching the 6 speed transmisson. It also has a reasonable seat height. I'm 5'4" w/ a 29" inseam and was able to flat foot it. Women and short guys like myself will really like this bike.

Test ride did come w/ the $1400 custom pipes that had carbon fiber exterior. It kept the heat off my wife's leg (they sit high) and the sound is very intoxicating. Everything is exposed so if you are a mechanic, you could probably do your own maintenance. Ducati has changed their service intervals and te little Duc's first service is at 7500mi. 2 valves should make the valve adjustment somewhat reasonable. It comes w/ 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. Price is $7495.00.

Is it good enough to replace my mega scooter? That is the real question.

rickmillertx
02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Man, you need to figure a way to keep the scooter and go for the Duc. The way I see it. For some 2 up fun riding with the wife around the country side would be great on the scooter. Then jump on the Duc for a little hooligan attitude riding around the city.

Gilk51
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Have to agree with Rick on that one! :clap:
You need to find a way to keep two, Chris! :shock:

TripleDuc
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm a long term Duc rider. The 2V Ducati's are great fun. However, you can have a pretty fancy used 900 or 1000DS for that price. Take a look here http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php before you spend.

sharkey
02-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm a long term Duc rider. The 2V Ducati's are great fun. However, you can have a pretty fancy used 900 or 1000DS for that price. Take a look here http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php before you spend.

Oh trust me, I've been to ducatimonster.org many times!
I like the 695 cuz seat height is low and engine is simplified.

Chuck and Rick, I have room for only one and right now the scooter wins out (too practical). Keeping my eye on the F800 this year. Looking for a middlewight w/ bags priced right.

rickmillertx
02-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Chuck and Rick, I have room for only one and right now the scooter wins out (too practical).

My problem as well. Otherwise I would add a thumper to my stable.

el_chupo_
03-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh trust me, I've been to ducatimonster.org many times!
I like the 695 cuz seat height is low and engine is simplified.

Chuck and Rick, I have room for only one and right now the scooter wins out (too practical). Keeping my eye on the F800 this year. Looking for a middlewight w/ bags priced right.

F800 is a sweet bike, but is it a bit high for you? Im 510 and it was right about where I thought was nice for me...

Also, from my readings about it overseas, its quite the bike, but guestimated prices I have heard range from low 10s -mid 11k for the bike... Assuming you are talking about the BMW, and not some new f800...

sharkey
03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
F800 is a sweet bike, but is it a bit high for you? Im 510 and it was right about where I thought was nice for me...

Also, from my readings about it overseas, its quite the bike, but guestimated prices I have heard range from low 10s -mid 11k for the bike... Assuming you are talking about the BMW, and not some new f800...

Well the basic version, ie. no abs, trip computer, or heated grips come in at 11K for the ST version. It's like $12,700 for all the perks. I'm anticipating at that price, there will be some left overs at the end of the year. ;-)

They do make a low seat that sits 30.5 inches from the ground. They will switch it out at no cost.