• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

REVIEW: Scorpion EXO700 Helmet

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
With my son starting to ride, I decided it was time to pass down the old Vega and go full tilt color coordinated. Coming back from the IMS at Ft Worth, we stopped in at Moto Liberty with our blue coupons burning a hole in our pockets.

I started out looking at the slightly lower model Scorpion, but the EXO700 XXL just seem to fit my fat head (7 7/8) the best. The Scorpion rep was there and swapped out the easy to remove liner in less than 5 minutes. I was green. Mine's the EXO700 Raider green scheme. :mrgreen:
exo70003.jpg

exo70002.jpg

exo70001.jpg

It's both Snell and DOT rated. Has a Kevlar/fiberglass shell and the chin bar is EPS lined.

There are ample adjustable vents--one chin, 2 forehead, 1 center forehead and 2 at the back of the head. In addition, there's 3 additional exhaust vents. It's well ventilated--much more so than my old Vega. The downside is it seems to be well-ventilated even when all the vents are closed. My impression is there are channels under the liner that seem to move the air around inside much more than my other helmet. They do make a "chin skirt" to reduce wind noise even more.

The liner is replaceable and if you're so inclined, can be replaced with various prints, aka leopard, zebra, desert camo, etc. ($35 MSRP)

The visor has a nice solid click on the detents and is anti-fog. There is a visor coming out in December that will be light-changing, e.g. light smoke during sunlight and clear at night, called the Shade Shifter. I may bite on this as my commute this time of year is often sunlight in the morn and dark at night.

scorpionusa.com is the factory website.

Last edited:
Yep, several of us here wear Scorpion helmets....I have a solid black EXO700 (well, my 2nd one).

I've had a 2005 model and a 2006 model and I can tell that they've made them better in the last year. The 2006 visor changing system was tweaked just a bit for bigger/better grip on the twist grips to release the visor. Also the vents (both of mine were gloss black helmets) changed from a gloss black to an unpainted/flat black look.

The aero skirt that you can get as an accessory is great for cooler/cold weather riding too....I have one that I kept in the trunk of my bike and had it on hand if I needed it.
http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/aeroskirt.html

It makes picking your nose impossible though.

Motoliberty carries their Scorpion Photochromatic Everclear shield (I don't know how well it works yet)...
https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=370
MVC-541S.JPG
MVC-542S.JPG

I highly recommend paying the extra $50 to get the EXO700.

I feel it's no worse for wind noise than my old KCB TK-8 helmet, the Scorpion fits my melon much better though.

Then again, there's always ear plugs :mrgreen:

wonder91178 said:
It makes picking your nose impossible though.

I knew I wear a HJC flip face for a reason!:rofl:
they don't make a flip face yet?

Last edited:
jhansen said:
I knew I wear a HJC flip face for a reason!:rofl:
they don't make a flip face yet?

That's only if you have the aeroskirt on the helmet, normally I have no issues with picking my nose with my helmet on :trust: :lol2:

I don't think they make a flip face yet, they have some 3/4 helmets....but I prefer a full face non-flippy helmet.

+1 on the Scorpion. I have the EXO400 right now and will replace it with another Scorpion since I dropped it one too many times now.

FYI- had emailed to Scorpion about the designs for 2007 and they stated they won't have them until March for street helmets :-( May be worth to check with them beginning of the year though. Honda of Houston already has the catalog for the 07 dirkbike helmets, so it just doesn't make much sense to wait so long.

I got the EXO 700 when I got my k12s, mainly because the hjc symax is a no-go for the track, no flip ups allowed! Since then, I've grown fond enough of it that it is now my main helmet other than in summer. I too like the positive shield detents and anti-fog (don't use plexus on it) capability and that self tinting shield will be my next purchase. I have broken the pivot after dropping the helmet with the shield open though. The top vent makes a lot of noise when open, and the nose shield gets unseated often but its a comfy, quiet helmet compared to the symax. The shield doesn't seal well in the rain, but i haven't found many that do. It also serves well as a bullet cam mount, just velcro the cam to the face shield. On top of all that the exo 700 has a very good price. Have not crash tested it thankfully, but it fits very snug and seems sturdy. Big thumbs up from me.

Best,

Grand Poobah said:
I got the EXO 700 when I got my k12s, mainly because the hjc symax is a no-go for the track, no flip ups allowed! Since then, I've grown fond enough of it that it is now my main helmet other than in summer. I too like the positive shield detents and anti-fog (don't use plexus on it) capability and that self tinting shield will be my next purchase. I have broken the pivot after dropping the helmet with the shield open though. The top vent makes a lot of noise when open, and the nose shield gets unseated often but its a comfy, quiet helmet compared to the symax. The shield doesn't seal well in the rain, but i haven't found many that do. It also serves well as a bullet cam mount, just velcro the cam to the face shield. On top of all that the exo 700 has a very good price. Have not crash tested it thankfully, but it fits very snug and seems sturdy. Big thumbs up from me.

Best,

+1 on not using Windex or anything on the inside or it will destroy the film that prevents fogging.
+1 on the nose shield unseating constantly. I hope they fix that with their new models.

In regards to water coming through the shield, I've been in a couple of down-pours and never had a leak. I would just recommend closing the vents, which are great in the summer by the way. Awesome ventilation.

What they all said. Really satisfied with my S 700 EXO. Also, it is VERY much more aerodynamic than the KBC TK9 I had. Where the KBC would gyrate and bumble, the Scorpion is smooth slick thru the air.

For those unfortunate enough to not have anti-fog visors, take about a dime size dab of shaving cream and smear it around the inside of a cleaned visor with your fingers. Keep spreading until it's spread around real good. Then take a ever so slightly dampened cloth (near dry) and wipe off the excess. Wha-la! no-fog visor :mrgreen:

Update:
Still a big thumbs up on the helmet. I got the wind chin guard and the chromatic visor today. Both are way cool. The wind guard makes the helmet much warmer and quieter. The light-sensing visor is gonna be great for winter commuting. It changes from clear to a light smoke in a matter of 1-2 minutes.

I carry a little spray bottle of water with a few drops of dishsoap in it for anti fog. Spray on the inside, let dry (takes a minute or two), no fog. Also cleans up your helmet and visor just fine too.

Anything that breaks surface tension can do the same, even spit if your in a bind and all fogged up, smear spit across the inside :eek2: . Old Scuba divers standard practice for fogging masks that one.

You'll love this helmet come summer time :sun: No other helmet out there moves air like the EXO700 ;-)

I got myself a new exo700 mono color, ad considering I have used a KBC Flipup helmet, as well as an Icon helmet (they are ok - noisy).
I am VERY happy with the exo700 .. very nice, only issue was the nose peice that kept popping out of place (crazy glue fixed it). I love it, I also use a mirror lense on mine, and I love it ...

I would recommend it to anyone... the fit is extremly pleasent.

follow up review after 16 months of use.

I was all set to try a new helmet (G-Max) but it just wasn't fitting my noggin. The Scorpion was getting a little gamey, so I sprung for the replacement liner kit. Washed the helmet out good today, put the new liner kit in, and she's good for another 6-12 months. I don't know that the strap will make much longer than that as it's starting to show a little wear. I've still got the original shield I bought with it and the detents still work great, as do all the vent covers.

My photochromatic shield has held up well, scratch-resistant-wise. It may be my imagination, but it doesn't seem to turn as dark as it use to. I commute 3-4 days/week and face the west sun on the home commute. I need to rig me up a smoke tint band across the top edge.

I got an EXO-400 and had problems. The helmet itself was nice....just some crazy black sticky stuff keeps sticking to my ears. Sent the company an email and they did nothing. Called the dealer and they contacted the rep for them and they are going to swap me out of it. Looking at an RF1000 now.

newenough.com has select models of the EXO 700's for $109 now on closeout, about 1/2 price.

About 2 years on my EXO700 and her EXO400, both are still in good shape. A bit noisy with the vents open but more air flow. The helmet is earth shape or melon head. I had a cheapy before that so I don't have much to compare to but I am satisfied.

I've been happy enough with mine and at that price, picked up one to match the FZ6. Being able to change the liner really extended the life of my green one.

I used to always use Aria helmets, but they priced themselves out of my ballpark... The Scorpion fits like an Aria, but is considerably cheaper... Yeah, I know... What price do I put on my head, blah blah blah... I liked it so much when it came time for a new helmet for the wife, I get her one too... Ive had mine for over a year, and I think its a great helmet.

Back