• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping Heater -- catalytic heater

Reaction score
Here's a little tent heater I've used a few times. It helps warm a tent but makes me nervous using it. The heating element gets very hot. Knocking it over would burn a hole in a tent or sleeping bag immediately. I would never leave this thing burning while I was sleeping.

It's nice to have a little heat in your tent when looking over maps for the next days ride. Same goes for morning coffee / hot chocolate too.

This heater is small and light and puts out heat for a small tent. Coleman says its safe to use in tents. Puts out 800 BTUs and has a burn time of 13 hours on one can of fuel. There is extra space in the bag for other items.

ColemanHeater1retailbox.jpg

ColemanHeater2carrycase.jpg

ColemanHeater5parts.jpg

ColemanHeater6assembled.jpg

ColemanHeater8burning.jpg

Yup, that's the one that melted my tent...

Now I use one of these

Okay, it may just be me. But heaters in tents scare the you know what out of me. I'm too scared of fires so I think I'll just stick with my Hot Hands thrown down into my sleeping bag.

Take note I didn't endorse this heater but I'll prolly use it again.

A heater in a tent...lol....while motorcycle camping...lol.

Now lets get back to talking about hammocks.

DFW_Warrior said:
Kay, it may just be me. But heaters in tents scare the you know what out of me. I'm too scared of fires so I think I'll just stick with my Hot Hands thrown down into my sleeping bag.
Like he said.....no fire in the tent, period. If it's going to be cold, use the space for the heater to carry a heavier weight sleeping bag.

Need heat in a tent? Get a tent mate and cuddle! :trust:

Squeaky said:
Bernard!

:mrgreen:

Someone suggested to me not too long ago:
"Get a campsite with electrical hook up, get an adapter and extension cord and plug in your heated vest."
Hmmmm.........:trust:

Squeaky said:

Thats the best heater no doubt.

Unfortunately I ride alone 99% of the time. Camping in the mountians alone and it's 20 degrees at night forces me turn to the little Coleman.:( Where's all the single woman that like to ride and cuddle?:help:

punk_emo_tx said:
Unfortunately I ride alone 99% of the time. Camping in the mountians alone and it's 20 degrees at night forces me turn to the little Coleman.:( Where's all the single woman that like to ride and cuddle?:help:
I ride alone, too. I'm single and female but not too sure about the cuddlin' stuff ;-)

You're in Arlington; why haven't you come to any of the Tarrant Co. Meet 'n Greets on Tuesday nights?

This thread caught my eye; I'm considering going camping in north canyons again over Xmas. The thought of cold cold cold has me on the fence still. I'm interested in a safe way to warm the tent for a few hours reading before dozing off and in the am before crawling out to get dressed.

aka 'heater'

I've used a similar catalityic (sp?) heater in my tent when camping, and have had no problems. That is as long as you have enough space in your tent. I used it while hunting, and had a 4 man tent by myself. No problems at all.

punk_emo_tx said:
Where's all the single woman that like to ride and cuddle?:help:

We're a fairly elusive species, but we do exist! :cool2:

TexasShadow said:
I'm interested in a safe way to warm the tent for a few hours reading before dozing off and in the am before crawling out to get dressed.

Well there's your first mistake - don't get undressed for bed. If anything, add a layer and snuggle in!

I'd think the extension cord/heated gear idea would work, but you might get a bit tangled. Plus, the cord would have to be safe for outdoors and pretty long, so it'd be about the size of a hiking boot to pack it.

Have you tried some of the small chemical heat packs? If you put a few between layers of socks, in pockets, etc. it might be enough to keep you warm with the right sleeping bag/liner combo.

punk_emo_TX said:
It's a catalytic heater, there is no fire.

Try parking a car, with a catalytic converter, in tall grass. I know it's a different device than the heater but it will still burn. Someone mentioned having enough space in the tent. That's the key to being safe with any space heater. It needs space. Always follow manufacturers directions on the space needed to stay safe.

"Well there's your first mistake - don't get undressed for bed. If anything, add a layer and snuggle in! "

This is also a mistake. Any moisture you may get from perspiration, yes you perspire even when it's cold, can keep you cold. The key to staying warm is staying dry. Even just riding a motor you will develop moisture in your clothes. After a day of activity you should always change into a fresh dry under layer. If you need another layer the best place to add a layer is to drape your rain coat or another jacket over the outside of your sleeping bag. Your bag should be rated for the temps you expect to encounter. This will keep your body heat trapped but will still let your perspiration pass away from your skin. Like always this is IMHO from years of experience backpacking in the high rockies in temps down to 20 below. YMMV I've never needed a heater in the tent.

Last edited:
I have never personally tried this, but I heard about it and filed it away in my mental attic. I heard about a guy who car camped in very cold weather and he would take a metal five gallon bucket and put his Coleman lantern inside the bucket. Coleman lanterns give off quite a bit of heat and being inside the metal bucket certainly increased the safety factor. However, I still do not know if I would do it.

On a bike you might take along that small catalytic heater and put it inside a metal paint can or similar small metal bucket to increase the safety factor. You could even put the lid on, if you puched holes in the can sides and lid. If you stuffed the bucket full of clothes or other gear it would not add signifigantly to the bulk of your gear. You could also use it as a pot, for cooking, if you did not punch holes in it. Just an idea. Once again I do not know if I would do it. I am a big man and my problem is more along the lines of staying cool than getting cold.

I never tried this but have heard of people in campers with a stove, propane or white gas, placing a clay flower pot over the burner on low. The pot heats up and radiates out to the space. IMPORTANT NOTE: Anytime you are using a flame source to heat make sure you have adequate ventilation in order to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. A single wall tent could trap enough to cause a problem. Inside a car is definatley a problem without an open window.

Squeaky said:
Well there's your first mistake - don't get undressed for bed. If anything, add a layer and snuggle in!
Well, I will admit I have all but one or two nights while camping thus far worn the UnderArmours to bag (for lack of 'bed'). And only cold one night: freezing rain, gusty winds and snow on a CO mountain. I even had socks on my hands that night.
Have you tried some of the small chemical heat packs? If you put a few between layers of socks, in pockets, etc. it might be enough to keep you warm with the right sleeping bag/liner combo.
I have two of those for gloves in an emergency. I think adding a microfleece liner to the two bags would work.
Or invite one of the coyotes to crawl in the bag for added warmth.

CBAT said:
This is also a mistake. Any moisture you may get from perspiration, yes you perspire even when it's cold, can keep you cold. The key to staying warm is staying dry.
I agree. This is one reason why I like the UnderArmours for sleeping in as well as wearing under gear: they wick moisture away from the skin.
I have woken warm in two bags with moisture on the outside of the bags.

TexasShadow said:
Or invite one of the coyotes to crawl in the bag for added warmth.

Yeah, I saw that movie...
786936144505DDfsL01.jpg

Actually I my catalytic heater was quite safe, and saw extensive use. The way it melted the tent was a buddy crawling in to change, and on the way out kicked it off the stand and didn't think it would matter:eek2:

Not sure I can blame the heater...

CBAT said:
Like he said.....no fire in the tent, period. If it's going to be cold, use the space for the heater to carry a heavier weight sleeping bag.

I'm gonna have to agree with Bruce on this issue. Heaters have to consume fuel and air for combustion. Carbon Monoxide and Water Vapor are both byproducts of combustion. Neither are desirable in a tent.

I have awoke in Colorado with snow more than halfway up a tent and been warm enough in the tent to be quite comfortable. My winter bag is polyfil and rated for -20 degrees F. I hate nothing more than being cold and have always appreciated the added loft. For winter camping on my bike I would gladly carry the bag, although it does not compress down to a very small package (10 inches in diameter x 16~18 inches long).

I want to ditto the comment about getting into “dry” gear before getting into your bag. That alone will add 5~10 degrees of warmth. I carry an old pair of cotton socks that are only used for sleeping in. They are loose, floppy and oh so comfortable.

I am not apposed to and have enjoyed the warmth wafting into the tent while I prepare coffee and breakfast under the porch of my tent.

I have found a candle lantern to be a very credible heat and light source for many situations. Not as nice as a snugglebunny though ...

Here is a thought. Try hanging the cat heater from the apex of the tent. Make some sort of deflector to radiate the heat back down. At least you wont knock it over or lay a sleeping bag on it. A cat heater would be great. Ive had some cold nights where I stayed warm in my bag but the condensation inside the tent would rain on me when I bumped the tent. Makes for wet sleeping bags and I hate packing a wet tent.

Beer & chilidogs before bedtime:eat: , be sure to stake the tent down well though.

kstrs said:
Beer & chilidogs before bedtime:eat: , be sure to stake the tent down well though.
:rofl:
I thought the goal was to AVOID melting holes in the side of the tent.

No one fears a catalytic heater as much as someone that has never used one. These same folks think its OK to lite candles and lanterns in tents for heat.... carbon manoxide build up....death.

I think some are missing the point by posting get a warmer sleeping bag etc. I use the heater while sitting in my tent reading maps , drinking hot chocolate, etc.....never sleeping with it on. I only take it with me if spending muliti nights under 30 degrees.

Catalytic heaters have no open flame other than at start up. Because of their extreme heat it can ignite things. Use at your own risk.

Catalytic heaters are a controversial subject. I hope everyone enjoyed the posts.

Back