• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Loud Horns

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
I had installed air horns on my bike and grew dissatisfied with them - not as loud as they ought to be and a half second delay before the noise started. The tone wasn't that great, to boot.

So I researched a bit and decided on a set of TM80 Magnum horns from this place - http://hornsplusauto.com/

One set gives you a high and a low tone.

They arrived today. I took the air horns off, used the connection and relay from them to power these and in about 45 minutes - wow! These puppies are LOUD!!

So, if you want loud but don't want to part with lots of your hard earned cash, check these out.

1982 XV750J w/5 gal tank & 18 inch rear wheel
www.BrogdensMuse.MenofHonorMinistry.org

Nice.:thumb:

I installed a set of dual tone electric horns I got from Harbor Freight onto the Shadow. Methinks $15 for the pair, claims only 115dB but it makes folks jump and my friends accuse me of scaring little old ladies into the ditch.:shock:

I did nearly blow a Focus onto the shoulder one night on the freeway (some teenager driving). It wasn't my intent, I was just alerting her to my presence when she tried to lane share with me. :angel:

I do like having them and using them. Most riders never use their stock horn because it's too wimpy to be noticed anyways. I've gotten jaded enough to keep my thumb near the horn button whenever I'm in crowded lanes. It's become part of "covering the controls" when in defensive mode. I do the same when driving a car.

I ordered a Stebel horn from TwistedThrottle.com as part of my farkles from Santa. The horn is rated at 139db, so we'll see what happens. Once I get it installed I'll provide an update.

I need to upgrade the ones that i've got on the ST/VFR, just plain wimpy.

or I could get Staintunes and just blip the throttle :dude:

The Stebel is worth the money...do not, without earplugs, honk that horn in an enclosed space :))

+1 on the Stebel Compact Nautilus. As soon as I get inspired, another one's going on my Triumph. Best $35 I spent on the Honda.

I need to get the compact version for my Rex, got the larger one and had a hard time coming up with a place to mount it, so it is at home on my cage now....love that horn :)

Dragwn said:
do not, without earplugs, honk that horn in an enclosed space :))
And how do we know this? :mrgreen:

I have the compact Stebel on the V-Strom and the wife's Atlantic scooter.
Money well spent...

Yep, also use the Stebel here. And I am adding #2 in the near future. Might as well cover the port and starboard side and sound like a very big vehicle, rather than the stock horns. Used the single horn yesterday when a dork in a large SUV, phone in the ear, crept thru a yield sign. Think she though if she kept creeping no one would object when she cleared the area. WRONG sister.
Loud pipes would not have gotten her attention, but the thought of a semi-tractor up her left flank did.
:-)

I did a demonstration for Cameron at The ET M&G last night - I have a switch to select the OEM horn (just in case I just need a wimpy toot) and the Stebel. I neglected to warn everyone else that I was doing that... :oops:

:mrgreen:

Honda saw fit to put great horns on the 1800 Goldwing, I didn't need to do anything to them. The BMW on the other hand, for an expensive ride, had one of those little "Meep! Meep!" horns. I bought the Wolo Maxi-Sound Twin Horn Kit and was pleased that they are louder than the GW horns. Only problem is that on the Beemer, the horn switch is right next to the left turn signal switch and with my gauntlets on, I sometimes hit the horn when turning and startle myself. To me, the horn is second on my list for safety equipment on my bike, with lights being the first.

tx-vfr said:
I need to upgrade the ones that i've got on the ST/VFR, just plain wimpy.

or I could get Staintunes and just blip the throttle :dude:

The Staintunes are not THAT loud. ;-)

Are there any pictures on how this TM80 Magnum was mounted, etc?

Here's a picture showing how I mounted them on my Yamaha Virago. Never mind the clutter in my garage :-)

Attachments

• Loud horns.JPG
    Loud horns.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 174
:-( had to go with the Fiamm Freeway, couldn't think of a way to mount the stebel where I would like it.
...package claims 132 decibels on it. Should be loud enough in itself.

Desert Skies said:
The BMW on the other hand, for an expensive ride, had one of those little "Meep! Meep!" horns.

Ditto on the BMW horns being lame. My K12 had a Stebel on it and it was incredibly loud - really get's attention. Just don't get too comfy with your new horns - there's nothing like avoidance of a potential problem.

Yes on the Stebel. I have two on mine and they are worth every penny. I think in hindsight I would have gotten the chromed ones versus the black and chrome. Very loud and as a pair they do get attention, even the bikes with loud pipes!
:zen:

Fiamms are pretty loud - not like the Stebel, but more flexibility in mounting in tighter spaces. I could tuck both of them underneath the fairing on my ST. They definitely get the (other) driver's attention, so don't worry about that!

You wanna talk about LOUD horns, check these guys out. In no way do I condone their stupid acts, but their horns, well just check the videos out.

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Now if only I could put one on my bike to let others on the road know I'm there.....:ponder:

+6 on the Stebel Compact, put it on Archimedes 4 weeks ago and LOVE IT!!

Back