• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Should I buy a Harley? Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am fresh from the MSF course and still getting comfortable with my skills using a Honda Rebel.

But soon (months...) I will be ready to move up to a bigger bike.

I had planned to get a Harley Fat Boy when I began but realized that that was much to much bike to learn on so I got the Rebel.

So my question is:

Is the jump to a Harley too much in one step? Should I get something smaller after the Rebel?

I like the Fat Boy and I like the Road King and the Softtail Deluxe. Does anyone know the differences from a riding experience perspective?

I realize there is a lot of personal preference here in these questions but my real question is for those that can remember starting out. Should it be a 3 stage process or 4 or 2? I have heard from one person that you learn more on smaller bikes but I don't know how many different sizes I want to go thru to get there. I do know I plan to rent several Harleys before I buy one.

Any insights are appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Go get your Harley when you are ready. I'd go with a Dyna or lighter Softail. Road Kings are HEAVY.

Hey, by the time you feel ready to move on to the next bike, you may have decided you're not even a "cruiser guy." A lot of people get into their first bike (or 2nd or 3rd) thinking they finally know what they'll really be happy with, only to outgrow it in a few months, or sooner if you're Kurt.
:mrgreen:

After a few months you could certainly handle a Harley for the most part. But all new riders will fall a few times in the first years and first few bikes. I don't mean a big crash.... just a stupid low speed tip over while parking or something like that. Do you want to do that with a heavy, shiny Harley?

The Rebel is a fine first bike. I'd take an intermediate step and get a 750-800cc cruiser some sort of before getting that expensive, chrome covered H-D pride and joy all scratched up. Just my $.02.

You can take it with a grain of salt but, my only piece of advice is: Don't spend that kind of money until you're sure you like to ride. Doing any kind of cursory search in the local paper or on ebaymotors will reveal the huge number of people that spring for a new/costly bike when they first start to ride only to end up selling it a year later because they don't like to ride, can't ride, don't have time to ride, etc., etc. The amount of 1-2 year-old bikes on ebay with < 2k miles on them is mind boggling.

If you're really sure you want to ride...buy whatever gets you excited (assuming, of course, you're coordinated and have some level of mental and physical ability to exercise throttle control).

Sleepy Weasel said:
A lot of people get into their first bike (or 2nd or 3rd) thinking they finally know what they'll really be happy with, only to outgrow it in a few months, or sooner if you're Kurt.
:mrgreen:

So do you have another bike yet, or are you just chukin' rocks at me. :-P

txmedic said:
So do you have another bike yet, or are you just chukin' rocks at me. :-P

Just passing the time... mainly thinking Wee Strom, though every now and then something else shiny catches my eye for a few minutes.

:tab From a mere technical point of view, discounting brand preference, the skills on a small bike and big bike are the same. However, the application is not the same. Being used to the weight difference and how it affects the bike will be the big factor. A longer wheel base will make it turn in slower and feel even heavier. If you feel you have mastered the skills on the smaller bike, then you could progress up through several stepping stone bikes, but I don't think it is necessary in all cases. However, if you do go straight to the Harley you want, I would highly recommend taking it somewhere and practicing with it at low speeds. Then start getting a feel for its acceleration and braking. It won't be fun to have a cool bike only to drop it or tear it up because of a newbie mistake ;-)

:tab If you can do it, I recommend a trip to either the Hill Country for a ride on the 33X's or to Arkansas so you can experience some technical twisties. I'd hate to see someone think they are real experienced because they have a lot of miles riding on typical Texas roads only to hit some real roads and toss their expensive bike off the road. Both of those locations often lead to a demonstration of the shortcomings of peoples' riding skills.

+1 on what loki says. Another thing you have to consider is maintenance. If you are not going to keep up with it, how much is this going to cost you at the Stealer :doh: Consider what kind of riding you will be doing too... ;-)

PlanoRider said:
I am fresh from the MSF course and still getting comfortable with my skills using a Honda Rebel.

But soon (months...) I will be ready to move up to a bigger bike.

I had planned to get a Harley Fat Boy when I began but realized that that was much to much bike to learn on so I got the Rebel.

So my question is:

Is the jump to a Harley too much in one step? Should I get something smaller after the Rebel?

I like the Fat Boy and I like the Road King and the Softtail Deluxe. Does anyone know the differences from a riding experience perspective?

I realize there is a lot of personal preference here in these questions but my real question is for those that can remember starting out. Should it be a 3 stage process or 4 or 2? I have heard from one person that you learn more on smaller bikes but I don't know how many different sizes I want to go thru to get there. I do know I plan to rent several Harleys before I buy one.

Any insights are appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Where did you take the course? How much was it?

Thanks, Marco.

mochoajr said:

Thanks, Marco.

Trev (msfdude) is an instructor around here, but I always manage to forget the name of the school. I took an experienced/advanced class with him once, and had a great time. Drop him a note, he might even be able to get you a deal.

My BRC I took with Motorcycle Safety Instruction http://weridesafe.com and they had good instructors, too.

mochoajr said:

Thanks, Marco.

http://www.motorcycleridercourse.com/

It was $190 if I remember correctly. It is important to read all the requirements. They require shoes that go over your ankles and there was a girl in our class that went thru the classroom part and then only had tennis shoes and she was not allowed to finish the course. I don't know if they gave her her money back or let her take another class but they do not have to since they state it clearly in the information that you must have the equiptment they require or they will not let you take the class.

txmedic said:
Go get your Harley when you are ready. I'd go with a Dyna or lighter Softail. Road Kings are HEAVY.

You know that is where I really have no experience and am curious. I mean Air craft carriers are heavy and so are bass boats. Do you really feel the difference between a 1300cc Honda and a Harley or a Fat Boy and a Road King? At what point does more weight not really matter any more?

I mean I hear people talk about a Harley being slow but most motorcycles are so much faster than any car what is really slow? I mean I don't want a crotch rocket so how do you decide? I have not seen 0-60mph numbers on Harleys but I assume they are very fast like most motorcycles. I guess the question is the relativitiy of the situation. How big is the difference in weight and how much does it matter?

The funny thing is I remember the hardest thing about the MSF course was the really slow stuff and I see people riding Harleys very slow with no effort at all. In fact when I sit on the heavy bikes they seem to be more stable like they could not fall as fast as my Rebel because that much weight does not do anything fast.....

Your cruisers tend to be heavy at a lower center of gravity. You will still have to negotiate slow speed stuff... that's when you will get bit and you will dump your bike if not careful. Also a heavier bike will respond slower in a panic situation.

I moved from a ST1300 (~700lbs) to a GoldWing (~800lbs). The weight was higher on the ST than the GW and I can move the GW a little better in the slow stuff. It's still a beast for parking lots and slow turns... but I just practice and take my time ;-)

As for any bike being "slow" it all seems to be a matter of perspective. I've heard people claim a 750cc cruiser isn't enough for the freeway, but I had no trouble on my 650 V-Star (even had it up to 100 once, in an emergency). I never had a problem being able to keep up with the cars. On the other hand, it couldn't keep up with wabbit's Triumph T-Bird if he got on the gas.

If somebody tells you a Harley is slow, they're comparing it to another bike.

Really, the main difference between the Road King and a Dyna is 200 lbs. Both do reasonably well at any speed, it's just that when it comes time to put you feet down and move that bad boy, the extra weight, the wideness of the floor boards and the taller seat will make their presence known. They are just very unwieldy to push around at a stop. Dynas have better brakes hands down as well.

Oh... and your performance numbers...
time / speed
07 Dyna Screaming Eagle 12.31/107.08 qtr mile
00 Road Glide 13.93/93.1 qtr mile

HD's are not performance bikes... ;-)

A) buy used.
B)buy japanese. Better quality, lower price...of course the costuming isn't as cool.(j/k) ;-) ...most are assembled here nowadays anyhow.

From a rebel anythings going to feel large. Go sit on a few models from various manufacturers. Your looking for all day comfort over posability.

Oh, and welcome to group!:rider:

L0weed said:
A) buy used.
B)buy japanese. Better quality, lower price...of course the costuming isn't as cool.(j/k) ;-) ...most are assembled here nowadays anyhow.

From a rebel anythings going to feel large. Go sit on a few models from various manufacturers. Your looking for all day comfort over posability.

Oh, and welcome to group!:rider:

To tell you the truth, the big Hondas (not Goldwing, but crusiers) felt heavier than the Harleys just sitting on them, which surprised me.......

Mike

Big question. What type of riding? Commuting + weekend. Just lazy weekend rides. Hunting for the twisties?

I got back into riding on a Honda Shadow VLX. Nice small cruiser. Got to where I could scrap the pegs all the time. Great for commuting, easy on gas, easy on insurance. Never dropped it, but got it used at a very reasonable price. Never was too afraid to drop it. I thought I would ride it for 2-3 years. 9 months later...

Triumph Speed Triple. More sport; less cruise.

There's things I like about both.

Tracker said:
Big question. What type of riding? Commuting + weekend. Just lazy weekend rides. Hunting for the twisties?

I got back into riding on a Honda Shadow VLX. Nice small cruiser. Got to where I could scrap the pegs all the time. Great for commuting, easy on gas, easy on insurance. Never dropped it, but got it used at a very reasonable price. Never was too afraid to drop it. I thought I would ride it for 2-3 years. 9 months later...

Triumph Speed Triple. More sport; less cruise.

There's things I like about both.

Mostly lazy weeked rides at least to start. I might use for commuting on really pretty days....

The biggest thing you need to concern yourself with is what do YOU like, not what someone else says you like. I have an 03 Dyna Super Glide with a stage 1 top end and screamin eagle pipes. I love that bike. I've ridden a couple of other bikes like my dads wide glide and vrod. Both are great bikes, but they are not that comfortable for me. The rebel is a superb bike to start out on. I rode mine for two years and enjoyed it. Renting the Harleys to see what you like is a great idea. Harley dealerships do a free test ride when the factory introduces the new years models and thats a good way to try em out. I find the road kings and fat boys a little large for my TASTE. But that is the key, its my preference. Ive ridden a few crotchrockets and had fun, but its not a bike I could ride everday. Thats not saying that theyre bad bikes, or that the folks who ride them are crazy (at least not ALL of them) and not all Harley riders (once again, not all of them) own motorcycle trailers nicer than my first apartment and are incapable or riding worth a flip. Go find what you like and make it your own. Like some people said, you can trick out a Harley all you want, which makes it fun. If youre looking for the big bikes a dyna is good base line. If youre of a smaller stature, a sportster may not be a bad idea or a dyna low rider is a good look. I have seen that the dyna is a great mix between in town and highway driving. It is a good maneuverable bike (sp?) and can be set up to be great on long hauls. If you're gonna do a lot of cruising and long distance stuff as your primary form of riding, Id go with the softail. Besides a 96 ci engine and a six speed tranny cant be that boring or slow right? * places glasses in coat pocket and steps off soap box* :zen: BTW stick with the rebel for about six months and seehow you feel :flip:

I will have to say like some others, first figure out what type of ridding you want to do. I have been ridding for 18 months after 23 years of no ridding and have found out I would like to do longer touring type of ridding. I have put a lot into my V Star 1100 to make it more compatible with touring but if I had waited I would have gone with a FJR.

We all live and learn, just hang out on some of the forums of different types of ridding (cruise, tour, dual sport, and so on) and visit with them and attend some of their events to see if it is your cup of tea. But above all RIDE :rider:

Definately take your time and sit on lots of bikes before deciding!

I had a Rebel and loved the heck out of it. After 3K miles I moved up to a 750 cc standard, and found it to be the right move for me. Who knows...another year I may change again! Motorcycles are easy to sell...and plenty of used ones ready to buy :doh: .

Welcome to this site! I am new here and like it!

Were I you I would go from the Rebel to a mid-range bike like an 800-1100 cc before jumping to the big boys.

There is no doubt you can ride a big Harley but I think you will be more comfortable if you take an intermediate step (I know I was).

I would also recommend you try a different type of bike between the Rebel and the Harley. You may find that you are definately a cruiser man but a $20,000 Harley is a pretty expensive mistake if you decide you are not.

I would look at a used Honda 919 or 599, a Suzuki SV650, a Ducati Monster 750/800 or some other midsize standard type bike between the Rebel and the Harley.

I also think that you will find that Standard type bikes handle a little better and are easier to master basic skills on than a cruiser.

I did not start riding until about 8 years ago and I was enamored with cruisers.

I started out on an 84 V45 Honda Magna (700 cc) which was stolen. Had an 86 Rebel 450 for a while and moved to an Intruder 800 for about 6 months but it just was not big enough for me to feel comfortable on.

Bought an 1100 cc Yamaha Virago and rode it for about 15 months/15,000 miles and decided it was time to move up.

The Yamaha was a quick bike but I wanted a larger bike better suited to touring but it had to be something with a little zip.

Decided on a 99 Valkyrie Tourer, 700 lbs dry plus another 50-60 wet.

It was a good handling bike and I put about 25000 miles on it over the next couple of years.

My next bike was a Valkyrie Interstate. Basically the same bike but with fairing and trunk (60 lbs heavier).

Rode it for about 8 months and decided I wanted something different.

Went with the Triumph Tiger and have no regrets. Also have a Thunderbird Sport and had a Ducati Multistrada.

I have found that taller bikes with a standard upright seating position, long travel suspension and more agressive steering geometry are more comfortable for distance riding, better handling, better in traffic and much easier on the body than a cruiser.

Don't get me wrong I still like cruisers (I still have the Thunderbird Sport) and wouldn't mind having a Harley (I like the Heritage Softail Springer), but it would not be my primary bike and would be generally for scooting around town on Saturday night and going to local cruiser rallys.

I am currently in the market for a new bike and the Multistrada 1100 and Tiger 1050 are on my short list with the Tiger leading due to availability of ABS.

=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back