• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Power Commander

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Burleson
Just installed my Christmas present on my Suzuki SV 1000. It has been running ratty since I installed a couple of Leo Vince slip-ons a few months back. Of course its misting rain now so I don't want to take her out for a spin since she is nice and clean from a recent bath. :tears:

Instructions said 15 min install, yea right. Took me a couple hrs. since I don't have itty bitty hands to get into the tight spots to unplug connectors to plug in the unit.

Just curious if anyone else has tried one of these and the results of it.

Happy Holidays, Larry

I had one on my old SV1000 with a full 4-into-1 system and a K&N. It worked fantastic. Cleaned up the air/fuel mixture and even smoothed out the throttle response a tad. Posting pics for no other reason than because I feel like it. ;-)

DSCF0025c.jpg

DSCF0027c.jpg

Thanks loki. I guess I was looking for some reassurance for the purchase. I'm trying the 002 map out as soon as the weather clears up. There are at least 2 others I'm going to try then pick the best.

That was a pretty SV you had there.

I have one on my Warrior and love it. If you really want to do it right, then you need to get a custom map done for it. It really will be the best $200 you ever spend on your bike, I promise.

I had one on my Road King. It really killed the mileage even tough it was "Mapped" for the pipes I had on it and the air kit. A custom map improved things greatly.

Got one on the ZX12R. Love it! I'll never have another bike without one.

PS
Did install mine in about 15 minutes though (and then spent 4 hours playing around with the mapping LOL).

QUOTE=[ST/SV]Just installed my Christmas present on my Suzuki SV 1000. It has been running ratty since I installed a couple of Leo Vince slip-ons a few months back. Of course its misting rain now so I don't want to take her out for a spin since she is nice and clean from a recent bath. :tears:

Instructions said 15 min install, yea right. Took me a couple hrs. since I don't have itty bitty hands to get into the tight spots to unplug connectors to plug in the unit.

Just curious if anyone else has tried one of these and the results of it.

Happy Holidays, Larry[/QUOTE]

A PC just gives you the advantage of re-mapping the A/F ratio curve. If the AF ratio is optimal without a PC then it will provide 0 advantage (it provides no majical HP gains if your bike is running optimal). On the other hand if your fuel delivery for a given PRM is not optimal then you can identify it using a dyno and correct it by using a PC and get a better running bike with HP gains to boot.

Now in your case, after adding the pipes the bike seems to be NOT running optimal. In this case the best way to set a baseline is to dyno it as it is and look at the A/F ratio curve then connect the PC (the pre-loaded free map will get you close to the ballpark but will not be optimal). The ideal ratio will be marked on your A/F graph (12.8:1-14.7:1) for your bike, if your ratio is above or below the ideal then you can add or subtract 5%-20% fuel for that given PRM (based on the deviation magnitude from optimal) using a laptop to add or subtract the fuel values for that map. It takes 2-3 dyno runs to make it close to optimal. Also called a custom map. A good shop will let you dyno for $20 and throw in the next 1-2 runs (after re-mapping) for free or a small $$ amount whereas some shops will not let you bring your own laptop and tinker + charge you exorbitants amounts. Best to call ahead and check. Adding 10% fuel at the zero throttle setting will make nice flames come outa the pipes when chopping throttle :)

I put a Yosh pipe on my 02 R1 back then and did not like the response, dyno run showed it to be far from optimal at 2-3 areas in the mid range + WOT. I had my laptop with me and pencilled in changes on the A/F ratio graph, next altered the fuel for those RPM ranges, the shop let me run it again for free and got a 5HP overall gain over the first run + a much smoother A/F graph (Motion Cyclesports Dallas).

BTW who is giving the best deals on PCs these days? I need to get one to re-map the low end on my nu R1.

If you want it to run right, take it to Andy at Metric Motorcycles. He or Alex will custom map it on the dyno for you.

Wow letsride, :eek2: you lost me after the first sentence. I kinda got the jist of it though. I dug up my only info from a thread off of 2003 post on a southern cal svrider forum right after the SV1000 came out and they were finding out how after market pipes were causing SV's to run worse. They discovered the PC in stock form smoothed it out remarkably. Few maps were available then. That alone caused me to get one. PC's site now list a dozen or so maps for my bike that I can download but most of them or for the European SV's. None or for Leo Vince's so I'm trying the Micron, 2 Bro's and Yoshi maps first. Thanks for your input though.

Got mine from www.hardracing.com for $269 to my door.

kocook, if these don't work, I'll give them a shout, thanks

I have a PCIIIUSB on my SV650S, with a custom map that is a the result of 15 passes on the dyno (several WOT, full power pulls, as well as a variety of partial throttle runs under load.) Doing so was worth every single cent ($87.50 thanks to a large discount), as I gained a few HP, and also several MPG :)

kocook said:
If you want it to run right, take it to Andy at Metric Motorcycles. He or Alex will custom map it on the dyno for you.

:thumb: I agree totally, Kent. I had Andy put a PC on the `04 DL1000 and tune it (perform magic)... like a different bike now :zen: No regrets, just :mrgreen:s now.

I have a PCIIIUSB on my SV650S, with a custom map that is a the result of 15 passes on the dyno (several WOT, full power pulls, as well as a variety of partial throttle runs under load.) Doing so was worth every single cent ($87.50 thanks to a large discount), as I gained a few HP, and also several MPG :)

Who did your dyno testing?

Marietta Motorsports, just north of Atlanta (I'm stationed at Ft. Benning, GA when I'm not deployed to whichever sandy slice of Iraq they decide I belong in.)

Back