• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What about classes?

Reaction score
First Name
Bonnie
Last Name
Devine
Is there a subforum here to talk about classes? I am fixing to take my first class this Thursday/Friday and just had a bad experience with them over the phone. I'm hoping to report better after the class, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for further places (good or bad) to take classes or to avoid taking classes.

bon

Are you referring to MSF classes?

I had a great experience with A+ in Magnolia. I heard Awesome Cycles is pretty good too.

I'll be taking the basic class. I think I might have just caught the guy on a bad day, as his customer service skills were terrible! He actually said to me when I asked him if he was teaching the class I was to be in, "Well, let's hope not!"

There's no way anyone could consistantly be as rude as he was to me and not have something else going on. He must have been taking something out on me. This isn't okay, I know, but *sheesh* the guy must have just gotten some VERY bad news.

bon

Welcome to the site Bon. Good luck on your class, hope it goes better than the phone call.

I had a good experience with MOTOFUN. They teach in Austin at Tony Barger Stadium. My instructors were experienced motorcycle cops, and they have a lot of patience with newcomers to the sport.

I sent my wife and one son to Harley's beginner course, with good experiences from one and fair reports from the second.

Don't give up! It's well worth it.

Cheers,
Jose

Bonster said:
Is there a subforum here to talk about classes? I am fixing to take my first class this Thursday/Friday and just had a bad experience with them over the phone. I'm hoping to report better after the class, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for further places (good or bad) to take classes or to avoid taking classes.

bon
There are several in the Houston area. If you'll slip me a PM about which site you spoke with, I will discuss it with them when I am doing my Quality Assurance Visits in the Houston area (I'm one of the Trainers who checks quality of Texas' classes). I can recommend a great class in Amarillo (of course that is where I teach:rofl: )
Here is the site for the DPS' class search. Just type in whichever town you want to find. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/trainingcenter/search1.asp
:sun:

Bonster said:
I'll be taking the basic class. I think I might have just caught the guy on a bad day, as his customer service skills were terrible! He actually said to me when I asked him if he was teaching the class I was to be in, "Well, let's hope not!"

There's no way anyone could consistantly be as rude as he was to me and not have something else going on. He must have been taking something out on me. This isn't okay, I know, but *sheesh* the guy must have just gotten some VERY bad news.

bon
I can't help you with Houston class providers, but I can't resist making a general comment based on my experience with the basic MSF course I took in Richardson (Dallas suburb). My feeling is that the course, properly taught, with competent and motivated instructors, is excellent. I don't think you mentioned whether you were a new rider or not, but I absolutely do think it is something that any new rider (or anyone such as myself who had not ridden in several years) should aspire to complete. (Yes, I thought it was that good)

I will have to second the A+ course in Magnolia. I took mine course there and had fun. Hopefully the guy you talked to was just having a really bad day or you won't have to deal with him anymore.

Faylaricia said:
I had a great experience with A+ in Magnolia.
+ 1
I took it from a short guy that's originally from Maine. Dry, sarcastic sense of humor, knows his stuff, has been teaching a long time. Great class.

Oh, by the way... Welcome to the site. A woman that rides AND shoots? Watch for a TWT range day after the first of the year. And since that looks like an M1 in the photo you'll be in fine company with a bunch of other M1 and M1 Carbine owners.

Last edited:
Good luck on the class. Hopefully the instructor will not be so bad in the class.

Welcome to the site.

And bring your left hand (forestock) in closer to your right (trigger) and dig your left elbow into your ribs to stablize the rifle. Your right hand should be very relaxed for the trigger squeeze.:)

Bonster said:
He actually said to me when I asked him if he was teaching the class I was to be in, "Well, let's hope not!"

I must say, when I was an instructor, anyone who was willing to work was called on frequently to fill in or assist. It got to the point where I was called almost every week (usually the day before I was needed), to help teach a class. After a 5 day workweek, then getting called *EVERY* weekend because PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, we need to you... just this one last time... eventually it just wears you out.

I loved teaching the class, but I eventually just had to draw the line because whoever was responsible for filling the vacancies in the schedule would just automatically turn to the easiest target and eventually it results in burnout.

I'm guessing this poor guy on the phone has been working 20 days without a break and just doesn't want to do another weekend on the range.

Indeed, I am a new rider; I have never been on the front of a bike. So I am very much looking forward to riding alone. I am a runner and riding seems to give the same peaceful sense as running does (plus you go farther and have less injuries - hopefully).

Thanks for the shooting tips. I went skeet shooting for the first time this Thanksgiving and ended up with a bruise on my chin/cheek from shooting a gun that was too big for me. Seems all my sports end in bruises. *sigh* I look forward to a TWT range day - that will be fun!

I'll report back on the class tomorrow. I hope it goes well.

bon

CycleCat said:
I must say, when I was an instructor, anyone who was willing to work was called on frequently to fill in or assist. It got to the point where I was called almost every week (usually the day before I was needed), to help teach a class. After a 5 day workweek, then getting called *EVERY* weekend because PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, we need to you... just this one last time... eventually it just wears you out.

I loved teaching the class, but I eventually just had to draw the line because whoever was responsible for filling the vacancies in the schedule would just automatically turn to the easiest target and eventually it results in burnout.

I'm guessing this poor guy on the phone has been working 20 days without a break and just doesn't want to do another weekend on the range.
As an instructor, I totally understand this (and I taught freshman level math - not nearly as much fun as riding). I guess then it is the obligation of the company to make sure the person responding to phone calls is not overworked. He was representing the school and they probably don't need him to be if he feels that way.

Again, I appreciate that there must have been something else going on. But this doesn't mean that it shouldn't be addressed.

Indeed burnout should be watched for, that's why I quit teaching math and now am designing instruction in the corporate world. You sound like you got pushed into burnout mode way too quickly. That's a bummer.

bon

Texas T said:
+ 1
I took it from a short guy that's originally from Maine. Dry, sarcastic sense of humor, knows his stuff, has been teaching a long time. Great class.

My wife and I took the BRC class from the same guy (Sonny) at A+ in Mesquite. I'd been riding for 20yrs and she had never twisted a throttle in her life. Both of us enjoyed the class and learned a lot.

Bonster said:

bon

I know this is probably too late and I don't know what part of town you live in plus I have never taken a class there but I have heard excellent things about Awesome Cycles up on Kuykendahl.

http://www.awesomecycles.com/

-

I teach in the Beaumont, Groves, Port A. We mostly have fun in the class as a runner you should do very well bike riders almost always do very well too.

howtoride.net

Bon, welcome to the site. I hope the course goes well. Let us know ;-)

Bonster said:

It may have been a bit of self-deprecating humor (ie, "I couldn't teach my way out of a wet paper bag") or a jab at his employer (it might not be unusual for them to be scheduled for things and not be told about it).

Regardless, sounds like his overall demeanor was inappropriate.

CycleCat said:

This is the Curse of the Competent.

fratermus said:
It may have been a bit of self-deprecating humor (ie, "I couldn't teach my way out of a wet paper bag") or a jab at his employer (it might not be unusual for them to be scheduled for things and not be told about it).

Regardless, sounds like his overall demeanor was inappropriate.

I might agree that it could have been self-deprecating humor or a "gosh, they didn't TELL me I'd be teaching, but who knows..." thing, but his tone was very clear that he never wanted to deal with me again. I have taught math for ten years at the college level and I know that someone asking for a "make-up" due to illness can get a little annoying, but people still really do get ill. All I wanted was to find out my options for postponement and he immediately attacked. :shrug:

b

Bonster, I have corresponded with the company in question and sent them a copy (your name removed) of the private email you sent me. The owner was very concerned. He said he has never had an instructor by that name working for him. There is also not an instructor in Texas by that name. Could you please contact the company again, and ask to speak with David? You might have to leave a voice mail, but he WILL get back with you. He is very concerned about customer satisfaction. Please contact him and let us (or just me) know how it goes. There are many folks trying to get this straightened out.
Thanks,
Eric

bushwhacker said:
I know this is probably too late and I don't know what part of town you live in plus I have never taken a class there but I have heard excellent things about Awesome Cycles up on Kuykendahl.

http://www.awesomecycles.com/

-
+1 Both of my sons took there course there. Both said they really enjoyed the whole course and liked the Instructors.

Back