• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dumb Question - Heat Troller

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Thomas
What is the purpose of the heat troller? I'm trying to use search on multiple forums but there is so much stuff out there. If I buy symtec hand-warmer do I need the heat troller? Thanks for any input.

It is just a heat-controller - a rheostat to give you finer control over the heat output. Most of the installations I have seen by folks on here just use a two position switch - low and high (plus Off, of course). The heat-troller is probably just a luxury, IMHO...

Gilk51 said:
a rheostat to give you finer control over the heat output.
At least one says theirs is "not a rheostat" but a pulsed power controller - the effect is the same, you get more heat variation than just two switch settings.

I know Nathan (tx-vfr-st) and Rich (Simmons1) have heated grips and Nathan has discussed (and cussed) his switch wiring. I think Rich's setup is just hi/lo also.

Again, the 'troller is not necessary, just convenient...

I used one of the pulsed controllers when I had the Hot Grips on my VFR. It worked great but the particular controller manufacturer had issues. Hot Grips stopped offering them because they were replacing so many under warranty. They now recommend the Heat Troller I believe. If you want to see how to wire it up, check out my site here:

http://sfriday.com/VFR800/hotgrips.htm

The relay keeps you from forgetting to turn them off and draining your battery. You could just as easily use that setup to run an electric vest and accessories.

Gilk51 said:
Again, the 'troller is not necessary, just convenient...

I guess that is true. However, I would not use my jacket without one. Running the my jacket full on would roast me. I would be switching it on and off all the time. I would get the 'troller.

Voltar said:
I guess that is true. However, I would not use my jacket without one. Running the my jacket full on would roast me. I would be switching it on and off all the time. I would get the 'troller.
Russ is asking about using the troller on his grips, though. I can see the reason for using it with the vest...

Yeah ... while I consider a Heat-Troller to be crucial for heated clothing, I can see how it would be a luxury when it comes to heated grips. The Honda had 4 heat seatings one the grips, where the BMW only has 2 heat levels. Still, I've never found myself needing the level of control over the heated grips that I have over my heated clothes.

However ... you could use a single dual-control Heat-Troller installed on the Busa to drive the heated grips on one channel and a heated jacket on the other. Would keep wiring pretty straight forward I would think, and since the Busa is a bit limited in electrical output ... you're probably not going to wire up that much more in the way of heated output.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I'll go the route of grip-puppies with the symtec hand-warmers and no heat troller.

Back