PDA

View Full Version : January 07 Mexico trip GPS tracks

XR650Rocketman
01-21-2007, 05:30 PM
This trip was my first time navigating by a predetermined GPS route and it was truly a learning experience.
Irondawg spent a couple of weeks planning our route from Mexican maps and for the most part neither we or anyone else we know has ridden many of these trails before.
I was able to log all our tracks and save them to share with everyone here.
These tracks are still unedited and reflect all our extra miles riding around while we found our way again.
Some of the trails had no sign of being used by any motorized vehicle in a very long time. I'm thinking years here, not weeks!
Some of the trails were obviously abandoned many years ago. Some of the trails were not passable because of fallen trees.
Some of the trails are not used by the locals in the winter and we were forced to turn back because of the accumulation of snow and ice.
Some of the roads you have seen in photos from every Copper Canyon ride ever reported.
We were only able to average 17 mph one day and we still rode over 10 hours.
Spend a little time following our daily tracks.....The file dates are either the day we rode or the day I saved them.
I'll post the actual Bicamaps to go with these files as soon as I have time.

Much of our ride can easily be done on any Adventure or Dual Sport bike.
A lot of our ride was extremely difficult on XR650Rs, WR450 and DRZs.
We ran one trail that someone named 8 miles of H E double hockeysticks.
After the first 100 yards I thought we really had made a mistake.....If we'd had to turn around it would have taken all 4 of us to get each bike back up.

I'll try and identify all these fun places when I post the maps.

The major difference between this ride and all the other rides I've done in Baja, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Utah, Colorado, Texas and even Canada is the amount of time it takes to get anywhere. Once on the remote trails there are nothing but turns and switch backs. Not to mention hils, no I mean mountains. Pavement was a thing of the past as was maintenance. The villages were few and far beyween.
Our maximum elevation was around 8800 feet and our total ascent exceeded our GPS capability to record. We found out our altimeters stop accumulating altitude and just show dashes at 100,000 feet.

To do this ride without a support vehicle following in the area somewhere was an ambitious proposal and proved to have been a choice we would probably not make again. The ride was shortened for three riders because of injury and bike failures. The smarter ones chose alternate routes. The support vehicle would have provided a great deal of comfort and security for these guys.

The freezing temps and rain, snow and ice were anticipated but still not welcomed. Just part of the adventure.

Gas must be obtained from locals out of their drums. Everthing else needed for the trip had to be carried along on the bikes. Food and lodging was obtained in the larger villages and towns along the route.

All in all a memorable route that I'd recommend to only the "strong of bike and body".
As "Skinny" has reported he was all pumped up for a "blood and guts" ride.
If his bike had not died he would have been treated to exactly what he wanted.

Now we have to decide where to ride next!!!!

Edit......looks like the maps show up OK here.

Hillcountryrambler
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi Steve,
What program to I need to open the files you attached?

WoodButcher
01-21-2007, 06:03 PM
The .gdb is native garmin format for use in Mapsource. Here is a .gpx version that can be opened in Google Earth. (any version) or in ExpertGPS or Mapsource.

WoodButcher
01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Steve, did you have a laptop along? I notice that all the logs are 500 data points, which tells me you probably did a save every day (or half day) of the track. Garmin units auto compress the Active Log when you save it to 500 points. Usually the Active Track log holds around 10,000 points. So if you could dump to the laptop every day or too, you would end up with a more accurate and detailed log. Typically what you get then is Active Log, Active Log 001, 002... And the dates on the points can help you rename each to the correct day.

Just an idea.

XR650Rocketman
01-21-2007, 06:15 PM
No Rusty, no laptop and also my first attempt at this GPS stuff.....Still learning though....

fastmonstr
01-21-2007, 07:53 PM
http://fastmonstr.smugmug.com/photos/124649879-O.jpg

XR650Rocketman
01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah that looks familiar....Thanks Buddy!!!

The loop to the South from OJ towards Chihauhua was really a mistake....It's the toll road....The free road we took on the way back is much nicer on a bike..

fastmonstr
01-21-2007, 08:43 PM
This is COOL! (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1169430095-17141-72.183.117.221.html)

skinny
01-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I knew it would be an epic adventure...all the more reason to go back (with an extra ignition box...:angryfire )

chadleys1
01-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I knew it would be an epic adventure...all the more reason to go back (with an extra ignition box...:angryfire )

I guess I should order up one of those, too. (TE 610 owner)

skinny, I PM'ed you.

XR650Rocketman
01-21-2007, 09:53 PM

That's the right spirit Skinny.....What did your dealer have to say????

skinny
01-22-2007, 08:22 AM
That's the right spirit Skinny.....What did your dealer have to say????

The dealer swapped my module with one from a floor model, and mine cranked right up...He said they had never seen a failure before, but I'm living proof of at least one. Oh, well...at least it's fixed, and with a spare, I'm ready for another trip as soon as anyone says "let's do Mexico again"...:rider:

irondawg
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Wow! From the google maps you can see the really big and scary passes we rode. Once we left Batopilas, the only straight sections of road were the bridges and going thru a couple of villages. I'd say a good 80% of the trip was switchbacks.

Skinny: Glad to hear the bike is up and running again. I've got my motor in in about 25 zip lock bags...and still need to split the cases.

skinny
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow! From the google maps you can see the really big and scary passes we rode. Once we left Batopilas, the only straight sections of road were the bridges and going thru a couple of villages. I'd say a good 80% of the trip was switchbacks.

Skinny: Glad to hear the bike is up and running again. I've got my motor in in about 25 zip lock bags...and still need to split the cases.

We're still waiting to hear your version of how to get a wounded motorcycle back to Texas...seems like our luck was a little sour on this trip...:help:

gotdurt
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah! My kind of trip... so where are the pics???

gotdurt
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah! My kind of trip... so where are the pics???

Never mind, I found the thread...

irondawg
01-22-2007, 11:44 AM
We're still waiting to hear your version of how to get a wounded motorcycle back to Texas...seems like our luck was a little sour on this trip...:help:

I'm working on it. Lupita had me busy this weekend.

Hoop
01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Steve, re support vehicle, it would be easy to trailer the bikes to Creel or Cuahtemoc and avoid a bunch of highway miles on the knobbies. That's what I've done on previous trips. You just have to get insurance and vehicle permits for the tow vehicles, otherwise it's the same paperwork you do for a bike. Then you pay the hotel in Creel to secure the vehicles while you're out in the boonies on the bikes.

Bill and I talked on the way home about making the ride from Batopilas to El Fuerte in 2 days instead of one, or really getting an early start to avoid riding after dark. Otherwise, with better luck and longer daylight hours in the summer, all of the riding days were do-able.

Hoop
01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
P.S. I will mail John the disk with my pics (such as they are) tomorrow.

fastmonstr
01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
This file can be opened in Google Earth.

Cheers to Scott for adding the .kmz extension upon request.

ta2240
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Steve, re support vehicle, it would be easy to trailer the bikes to Creel or Cuahtemoc and avoid a bunch of highway miles on the knobbies. That's what I've done on previous trips. You just have to get insurance and vehicle permits for the tow vehicles, otherwise it's the same paperwork you do for a bike. Then you pay the hotel in Creel to secure the vehicles while you're out in the boonies on the bikes.

Bill and I talked on the way home about making the ride from Batopilas to El Fuerte in 2 days instead of one, or really getting an early start to avoid riding after dark. Otherwise, with better luck and longer daylight hours in the summer, all of the riding days were do-able.

Hoop, that exact senario was discussed with Cesar before we left. He has a large fenced in parking area that will hold trucks and trailers.

Just info.

Teeds
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Hoop, that exact senario was discussed with Cesar before we left. He has a large fenced in parking area that will hold trucks and trailers.

Just info.

ditto ... that is what I am doing this fall, when my son and I go. Caesar is a great host and deserves our support.

Now for a new bike ...

I WILL NEVER RIDE MY BIKE FROM PRESIDIO AGAIN. A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

It took 7 hours via truck, way less than via bike.

XR650Rocketman
01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Before our ride my buddy Thomas, who used to run M/C tours around the CC, told me were "Nuts" to ride to Creel.....You just need to trailer, he said.....Any one disagree?....Not me, he was right.....

stevenrosenblatt
02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
This trip was my first time navigating by a predetermined GPS route and it was truly a learning experience.
Irondawg spent a couple of weeks planning our route from Mexican maps and for the most part neither we or anyone else we know has ridden many of these trails before.
I was able to log all our tracks and save them to share with everyone here.
These tracks are still unedited and reflect all our extra miles riding around while we found our way again.

Just got the Garmin Zumo and Mapsource and looked at your route. I was wondering if in some instances you went the long way to a town because of a desire to do so or because you had information to avoid the shorter way. For example between San Rafeal where the pavement starts and Guasachique there is a trail that follows the tracks but your route veered away from the tracks through Mesa Redonda and then to Guasachique ?
Another time heading east from Alamos you started down the road to Los Llanos and turned back to go into Temoris. Yet the road you got on after Temoris hooks up with the road from Los Llanos to Guazapares to Rancho Santiago and then on the same road to Bahuichivo. Was this shorter way covered with a log or did you just want to go to Temoris for gas?
Where on the route was the 8 mile road to ****? Steve

XR650Rocketman
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
irondawg laid out the route with the intent of us riding as many "unused" roads as possible.....I don't think any consideration was given to taking the shortest or fastest route, only the most "difficult".

He acheived the goal.....Now we need to go back so irondawg can ride the route all the route he planned.....

The "8 miles" was not planned , the planned route was closed by fallen trees, ice and snow......As to it's actual location.....I'd need to review the tracks again!!!

Hoop
02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Just got the Garmin Zumo and Mapsource and looked at your route. I was wondering if in some instances you went the long way to a town because of a desire to do so or because you had information to avoid the shorter way. For example between San Rafeal where the pavement starts and Guasachique there is a trail that follows the tracks but your route veered away from the tracks through Mesa Redonda and then to Guasachique ?
Another time heading east from Alamos you started down the road to Los Llanos and turned back to go into Temoris. Yet the road you got on after Temoris hooks up with the road from Los Llanos to Guazapares to Rancho Santiago and then on the same road to Bahuichivo. Was this shorter way covered with a log or did you just want to go to Temoris for gas?
Where on the route was the 8 mile road to ****? Steve

The 8 miles are the section where we are off the track to the south of San Rafael. We didn't intend to beat ourselves to death, we were just taking the 'old road' which had been bypassed by the newer truck road.

The little side trip near Temoris was another case where the truck road diverged from the old road that we had planned to take. The old road hit a dead end at a fence, so we backtracked to the truck road.

P.S. Don't think for a minute that all the roads on the bicimaps are correct.

XR650Rocketman
02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
The 8 miles are the section where we are off the track to the south of San Rafael. We didn't intend to beat ourselves to death, we were just taking the 'old road' which had been bypassed by the newer truck road.

Thanks Hoop....If I remember the 8 miles correctly it looked like it had not been used in at least a decade.....Weather had completely eroded anything other than the large rocks on some of the hills....As "willsy" will recall, my comment after the first 100 yards was "I think we may have made a mistake here"....Fortunatly we were able to make it all the way through....Having to turn around and go back would have been "impassible"....

This part of the trip is really worth doing, if only for the "bragging rights"....But not "Solo".....

stevenrosenblatt
02-22-2007, 10:56 PM

The little side trip near Temoris was another case where the truck road diverged from the old road that we had planned to take. The old road hit a dead end at a fence, so we backtracked to the truck road.

P.S. Don't think for a minute that all the roads on the bicimaps are correct.

So you are saying the truck road runs through Temoris and the road that looks like a shortcut around Temoris is the old road that is now impassable?
Is the 8 mile section where Cerro Prieto is? I thought you went through the 8 mile section once and rejoined the truck road. It doesn't look like that zig is long enough. The other is the dead leg toward Cherachui. I really want to pin point that section so we can avoid it:trust: