• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Questions regarding a Ural Gear Up?

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
I want another ride:rider: ... I am really wanting a Ural Gear Up....

125666375-L.jpg

125661496-L.jpg

I have read the history behind this bike, and am familar enough with the WWII Germany/Russia connection as well as the BMW copy. I have not yet seen one up close and personal. Anyone on here have any experience with them?

Thanks,
Duke

Edit: Found These Threads, but still hungry for more....
New 2007 Ural Gear Up
URAL Russian motorycycle This is a very informative thread.... Hmmm...
Me and My Ural Bear, How about an update on your owner experience of your Patrol. Nice write up on this thread from 2005

Last edited:
In the latest Cycle or Cycle World (man I cant keep them straight any more) Peter Egan does a nice ride report on one.

I Love back road sidecar rigs, Just not sure about the Ural Power plant.

I remember something about a 58mph or 68mph top speed before that thing gets too dangerous to ride. I can't see you being able to survive Houston area traffic with something that slow..............

Does look cool in a Mad-Max kind of way.

old paul said:
British USA
1210 College Ave, South Houston, TX 77587
Phone: (713) 944-7951
Fax: (713) 946-4829
britusa@ev1.net
www.gulfcoastbmw.com

There is a dealer in your neck of the woods -

When I was there a little over a week ago they had a Ural Patrol on the floor. It is also a 2WD model. I also have been tempted by the Ural.

Not sure if you are a member but do a search on them over at Advrider.com

I know there are a couple of guys who ride the heck out of them and have some good ride reports with pics.

I have always had my eye on them and that Peter Egan article was pretty good info. Sounds like they are improving on parts support and reliability.

The top speed has nothing to do with handling. If a rig handles poorly at speed it is set up poorly.
The speed limitations are because of gearing and low horse power output of the Ural engine. The bikes only have about 45hp, and weigh over eight hundred pounds.
The Ural is built with old technology, they are better than they were years ago, but they are still not what most of us are use to. Last year I talked with the Ural reps at the cycle show and they said the main bearings at that time were still splash lubricated. That has worked for many years, but it is also why it would not be best to run the Ural at the upper end of its performance limitations for long periods of time.
Yes they have limitations, yes they are old designs, and YES I would love to have one.
Sidecar rigs are like nothing else, Get over being in a hurry and enjoy the ride.

I like them, but I like going faster than 50mph in places like west Texas. I do like to slow down and see the sites, but sometimes I'd rather hurry up and get to something scenic and then slow down.

I have had a Ural Gear-up for a year, no problems!! BUT they are slow, 55 or 60 is MAX. They are simple to work on and parts are available in US. They are Great for off road. The two wheel drive is handy to have in sand or mud, but it is also a heavy rig to get out of a jam. A come-along and rope is a must cary gear. BUT it is almost never a problem of having to pick up a fallen bike!!!! This bike is so easy to use my wife bought half from me so she could use it whenever we went riding!!! She wanted to say that it is her bike!!! I wanted to keep it to ride off road!! We are both HAPPY!! If you want to ask any questions, e-mail me for my # Hotair

Ara does his thing with a Beemmmmerrr with a Ural sidecar. We went to Big Bend together right before christmas, He has everything in the world on that Beemmmer!!!! Even a WINCH!!! He rode my Ural and said that he would think about getting one in the future.:rider: :rider:

Hotair said:
Ara does his thing with a Beemmmmerrr with a Ural sidecar. We went to Big Bend together right before christmas, He has everything in the world on that Beemmmer!!!! Even a WINCH!!! He rode my Ural and said that he would think about getting one in the future.:rider: :rider:

Ahhh. A hybrid!

My mistake.

J R Lewis and his wife Avonell, each ride hacks.They live in Crockett. They ride to most all the national sidecar rallys across the US.I've even seen them down in Mexico too. J R's rig is a BMW LT with a Dauntless Chair. Avonell's rig is a ???? These folks are a world of knowledge. They are in their seven----- (never mind),,,they are well expierenced, with many years of sidecars. Oh, and I have been told that there are several sidecar sites. They usually make Herschels in Palestine on most Friday nights.

here we go again. :) I have a 2004 Ural Tourist. It has a top recommended speed of 65mph - I've gone 75. If you are into speed - do not buy this bike. If you want a hack rig - the Ural is the best set up possible. The quality/reliability is not what you would expect from a Japanese motorcycle, but that isn't why one should buy a RUSSIAN HACK RIG.

I've had my Ural for over two years now and have been very happy.

I'd love one of those. Not as a primary bike, but as an off-road rig. While many have ATVs on their ranches, I'd rather have the Ural with the side car.

I came across several of them when I lived in Maine; one old-timer that drove his out on the frozen lakes (he spiked his own tires) to go ice camping/fishing. He'd even drag his ice house on the lake with it. When I worked for the forest service, we had one for use by the district foresters. They fought over taking it out in the woods on the logging roads. I would have loved to have one then (as well as now). It's be great for desert riding (yeah, that Mad Max comes to mind here, too :mrgreen: )

roundblack said:
here we go again. :) I have a 2004 Ural Tourist. It has a top recommended speed of 65mph - I've gone 75. If you are into speed - do not buy this bike. If you want a hack rig - the Ural is the best set up possible. The quality/reliability is not what you would expect from a Japanese motorcycle, but that isn't why one should buy a RUSSIAN HACK RIG.

I'm having a little trouble following your logic... it's neither fast, nor reliable, but it's the best set up possible?

Sleepy Weasel said:
I'm having a little trouble following your logic... it's neither fast, nor reliable, but it's the best set up possible?

It is an emotional response. It is not a clone or drone :borg: it is more a:phead: but with foil!

I think I understand, too. I had a 1965 Corvair Corsa in HS/college. It was slow by today's standards and unreliable (although it never left me stranded). It leaked oil (what Corvair doesn't?), and had a spotty heater.

I loved that car. I still think it's the most beautiful American car ever made. I'll buy another one some day.

I wish I could talk the owner of this one into selling.....

corv3.jpg

corv2.jpg

corv1.jpg

Edited to include link.

Last edited:
Roundblack & Hotair,

I would love to see pictures of your URAL's.

Thanks for the comments. Question for the two of you. Would you liken piloting a hack as piloting a trike? Having never riden a hack I do not know what to expect.

I have rode a trike for maybe 4,000 miles or so in the past 3 years of riding, so I am aware of the work out you get on the twisty roads with a trike. Would you say that a hack is worse or easier than a trike?

Thanks for the replys and I apologize if it is redundant for y'all, but it is all new to me.

Thanks,
Duke

Last edited:
The Ural has leading link front forks, makes it very easy to steer. Not as hard as you had on a trike. I have a Guzzi with a sidecar, without any adjustment to the steering. It is hard to steer, like steering a car without power to the power steering. The Ural is a piece of cake!!!! Any other questions e-mail me a phone # and I will call you back to answer them. I HATE to type!!!!:giveup:

Sleepy Weasel said:

I meant that the Ural is neither fast nor reliable in comparison to a modern (Japanese/German) motorcycle. The Ural is engineered to be a sidecar rig, the other option is attaching a sidecar rig to a vehicle engineered for two wheels. Therefore, in my opinion the ural is the best set up.

I love my Ural, and would recommend one to anyone interested in a new motorcycle that looks like a 40s bike and is built with 1970s technology :)

R1200GSA said:
Roundblack & Hotair,

I would love to see pictures of your URAL's.

I have rode a trike for maybe 4,000 miles or so in the past 3 years of riding, so I am aware of the work out you get on the twisty roads with a trike. Would you say that a hack is worse or easier than a trike?

Thanks,
Duke

brianwet.jpg

0196570-R1-039-18.jpg

sandy_creek_april_05.jpg

Back