• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

VFR WIRING HARNESS FAILURE

V

vfrtxn

03 HONDA VFRWiring harness failure, Honda part number 32100-MCW-LOO, $342 bucks. The ground in this harness leading from the headlight failed because of corrosion caused by water and poor insulation at the terminal point. Instead of replacing the entire harness a splice was made, cost $102 bucks. The why...factory defect. IMO ALL electrical wiring systems should be water proof and terminated to last for longer than a year, NO EXCUSES. The reason is simple Honda got sloppy here, even the Honda mechanics confess to the factory slop at critical termination points. Wake up HONDA. This failure began with intermittent engine failure upon upshifting. This lasted about one week then the bike would not start.

Don't ride in the rain. Problem solved.

So did you have to buy a new harness, or did the splice at 1/3 the cost work? Your post isn't really clear on anything, except that you're mad.

So, is there any context here, or is it just mindless spewing of venom on every board you can find? Was the bike out of warranty, and Honda wouldn't grant an extension. Did you contact the factory rep and he told you to piss up a rope? That's a story. If it's just the numb nuts at the dealer screwing you, big deal, happens every day, been there, done that, nobody wants the T-Shirt.

Actually, I'm not even sure that you got screwed. Things break you know, as items made by man aren't perfect. How many miles on the thing? Context please, otherwise you're motorcycle broke, it was a hunnert bucks to get it fixed, and you think someone else should have fronted the money. Boo hoo. Vote Kerry and maybe the government will fix it.

Sorry, not in a sympathetic mood this morning, and since a big chunk of my job is very similiar to what the Honda factory rep does for a living(not even in the motorcycle industry), just whining isn't doing it for me.

"Course everyone on this board knows VFRs are junk and that Honda builds crap anyway. :eek:

Ta-ta,

Daryl

:eek:

Thanks for the heads-up. I will be checking out the harnesses this evening. I havent seen any problems yet but no sense in not taking another 15 minutes to be safe

uberhawk said:
"Course everyone on this board knows VFRs are junk and that Honda builds crap anyway. :eek:

Ta-ta,

Daryl

:twisted: :twisted:

Yeah and your sportster is a piece of #$@$ too :twisted:

JK all. Before this gets too out of hand.

BTW Daryl, how is your HONDA Superhawk?

SVinAustin said:
BTW Daryl, how is your HONDA Superhawk?

Fine. Boringly, typically Hondaly perfect. Which is the point. Obviously you new dads who can't remember having four straight hours of sleep in a row can't recognize sarcasm...

Honda's build quality and engineering is respected and renowned by even their competition, so screaming "Iz crap!" needs some context and explanation.

D

I was just kidding Daryl, as I figured you were.

Really, I do like your sportser. It is pretty sweet, just not too quick on PR 4. ;-)

As for the sleep thing. He is getting 6-7 hours every night (knock on wood) which is making his mom and me just plain jump for joy. Even so, I am not sure I have ever felt tired for so long a time. Oh well, one of th joys of fatherhood I guess.

BTW, why not try and get a day pass for saturday and join us for a ride out to Huntsville? Already have 3 of us from Austin going and the more the merrier.

Hehe, Daryl woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!! Yeah, vfrtxn is griping, so what?! I don't think he's over the top. The point I got is that he thinks Honda does crappy wiring, which they do! No it is not news, but I can understand his frustration. I don't think he was looking for a solution, but rather he was just venting, something a lot of people do here ;-)

Don't ride in the rain. Problem solved.

:tab Now that is a worthless statement! :-P The VFR is a sport/touring bike. If you've ever done any touring, you should now that rain is often unavoidable. His point that the electrics should be a little more durable in the wet is quite valid. We're not talking rocket science here! Of course, Honda doesn't seem to know how to make a decent Reg/Rec either, so maybe it is rocket science to them :shrug:

:tab Honestly, I am really surprised that Honda has not started introducing the CAN Bus system on it's bikes like BMW has begun doing. Honda prides itself on being state of the art in technology and making reliable bikes, yet in most of the cases I have seen, it has always been the electrics that give most Honda owners problems.

Adios,

Uber,You make my day.Your problem solving skills Make me want to go on living.Your sarcasm is never wasted on me I live for it!All Hail Uber!

Tourmeister said:
The VFR is a sport/touring bike. If you've ever done any touring, you should now that rain is often unavoidable.

Yeah, the VFR is now a minniebago. Having sat for an hour on a barrier on 149 until the rain let up enough we could see our bikes, I'm familiar with the concept of unavoidable rain.

The point was (admiteddly lost in sarcasm) there's no information in the post. If there had been a call to action for others on how to check, no reaction from me. If there had been a claim that Honda denied warranty, there's a story.

Instead, it was just the kind of email that once forwarded to Cupertino and then winds its way down the food chain to me berift of any real information that ruins my day, if not my week. Usually by the time it's investigated, there's nothing there. Hence my (over)reaction.

As to "lans on bikes" well, would you pay for it? Ain't nothing free, and Honda knows how to do crappy wiring. CAN bus isn't likely to appear until you do a fresh sheet design. It probably means new suppliers as well, which for the Japanese will be an issue. I'd also venture to say that volume might be a problem, BMW and Ducati are probably putting a pretty good dent in the available components at the moment. Honda has "failures" that sell better than their best sellers.

I'd also guess your ability to do roadside repairs is nil, although it theory the likelihood of needing to have electricians tape handy is lessened.

As to PR4, it was during break-in. Next time you see it the new forks (stiffer w/adjustable rebound and dampening) and perhaps even the new shocks (do I go maximum bling-bling and do Ohlins?) will be on there. Pffffft.

As to waking up on the wrong side of the bed, only on days that end in Yyyyyyyyy!

Be nice, or I'll show up Saturday.

Obviously Leeroy is a superior life form. We shall band together and rule this sniveling little planet. As soon as I get the time to work in world conquest :chug:

Back