• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crooked Creek Ride Report 2/3/2007

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Loyd
Ross and I went down to check out Crooked Creek Cycle Park NE of Waco on Saturday Feb 3. I think this place is often confused with other areas to the south of D/FW. This is a membership park but they are open to public about one weekend a month. It's a smallish place but they make very good use of the acerage. Unlike Rocky Ridge, which is about 80% open fields, this place has a very concentrated system of trails with very little open space.

The trails are very well marked and are all one-way. There is an old railroad right of way (nothing but the rock bed left) that divides the property roughly into a west side and east side. The trails to the east are easy and fast but unforunately were too wet for us to really have fun. You can get into top gear and run pretty fast down the old RR if you want.

The west side is much more challenging. VERY tight woods. The "Twisted Off" trail was about 4 miles of bark-busting and log-hopping. The trail also makes several creek crossings that involve near vertical decents. They property owner has laid concrete blocks into the bottom of the creek crossings to help maintain the trail.

What was cool to us is that, because of the trail marking system, you could concentrate on your riding instead of constantly "trail finding." So you are able to get in more riding miles in less time.

We'll go back when the place is dry. It will never replace Muenster, but It's worth checking out, in my opinion.

DSC00417.JPG

The place can be an interesting change from the trails we normally ride.

Back