07-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Of particular interest to riders:

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

Also new:

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendc/

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/

Tourmeister
07-14-2004, 04:34 PM
The Quest looks pretty cool. A bit pricey though. I am sure it will be available at retail discounters for much less. I recently bought a 60CS and love it.

Adios,

kurt
07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Scott, after two threads on GPS's, I'm still confused, which do you consider to be the best value? I'm looking for a handlebar mounting bracket and probably a hand-held unit although the one shown here is pretty cool.

STCPO
07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
I swear by my Garmin V!

The trip I did last March was 100% navigated using the GPS and I never set a tire on a super-slab.

Pete

VFRinAustin
07-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Well now, an E-Trex Legend with 24 MB of memory, route charting and directions. Now this would be just about perfect for everything I need on rides. I have said that the 8 MB the current legend has is just not enough, but 24 would be plenty. Also has a USB download/uplaod capability, bonus.

Tourmeister
07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
I never said which I think is the best value :-P I am certainly not an expert on GPS units! I have a 60CS and like it. Is it the best value? Works great for what I need.

Adios,

HouFJR
07-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I've been following the GPS market for years (anyone remember the Sony Pyxis or Trimble's consumer stuff?) and have been totally impressed with Garmin's products. Garmin is an American company that builds rugged, feature-rich GPSes that are amazingly affordable, and they back 'em up with top-notch service.

Right now, the 60CS looks good if you want a small walkie-talkie form factor. I've got a Streetpilot III in the car, and it's awesome, but a bit large for a bike (it's the original BMW navigator.)

The new Quest looks like a great compromise for riders... I'm anxiously awaiting one to check out in person.

Wasabi
07-30-2004, 11:00 AM
For those in the DFW area the Bass Pro shop in Grapevine has a good selection of GPSs in the electronic department.

HouFJR
09-28-2004, 06:57 PM
The one in Katy Mills has a good selection for folks in the Houston area. Other spots stocking GPSes are West Marine stores.

wabbit
11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I've seen the Quest in person at a Trade Show. It is very nice and very small. It is easy to just take it off the bike fold the attenae and slip it into a pocket. About the size of a cell phone from 2 years ago.

The only downside for motorcycling is the antennae. Apparently it is as sturdy as some others because of the way it folds. Touratech makes a nice mount that supports the antennae. http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/search_sku.lasso?sku=065-0090

Because of its size and features I am getting one for christmas and a touratech mount. I'll report back after I get it and let you know how it works out.

Rocket_Cowboy
11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I've got the 60CS as well, and have been very pleased with it. I really wanted (and still do) the StreetPilot 2610, but when I had the Busa, I couldn't justify either the cost, or exactly where I was going to mount it. Now that I have the ST, and Amazon has the 2610 marked down to $530 after rebates ... man am I temped.

The 60CS has 54MB of internal memory and is NOT upgradable. I downloaded the detailed maps for my entire 5 state ride over the summer, and still had room to spare. My only complaint with the 60CS was that anytime I tried to have it auto-route me, if kept trying to dump be up on I-40 when the route I wanted to take was all backroads. With a few waypoints plotted along the route, I soon worked past that issue.

Tx Rider
11-15-2004, 11:13 AM
I want a garmin 2620, so I never have to upload a map to it etc., but they cost so much there's no way I can justify a new one.

In a year or so I'll probably be able to pick one up on ebay for a decent price though, they are going for well under a grand there already.

Hood Ornament
11-21-2004, 10:04 PM
The 2620 won't work on most bikes, the micro drive is just too sensitive to vibration. Tried one on both my Busa and my Beemer and it wouldn't work. Lukily I sold it for almost what I paid for it. Heck, I've herd they don't work in some cars either! Besides, 2 Gig CF cards are less then $150 these days. A 2610 with the 2 gig card can hold all the us detailed maps. A bonus is that it comes with the City Select disks so you can load Mapsource on to your PC and do all your route planning that way instead of trying to do it on the unit itself ( The 2620 does not come with Mapsource CD'S since all the maps are loaded on the drive) which would be a royal **** for any trip over a couple hundred miles.

Tx Rider
11-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Hmm, my MP3 player uses a drive, and it works ok. It's actually a regular Toshiba 5GB PCMCIA hard drive, I noticed when I took the case open.

Come to think of it it did skip a lot when I hit 100+ in my jacket pocket, and I do have it encased in memory foam in my tank bag pocket to stop that. If I solid mounted the mp3 player it probably wouldn't play at all.

I'll have to think about that, that means it would have to live in the map case on the tank bag to keep the shock down or it wouldn't work.

Hmm, do any garmins take huge arsed memory cards, like 1GB or larger?

Hood Ornament
12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
The 2610 will take a 2Gig card.

buck000
12-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Garmin apparently has $100 rebates on the 26xx series... the 2610 is really starting to sing a siren song....must think of others for xmas....argh...

VFRinAustin
12-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I am seriously considering getting a compact flash type GPS to use it with my PDA. That would be sweet. Only concern I have is what is the "g" rating of the PDA vs a regular GPS unit

Hood Ornament
12-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Another thing to consider is waterproofing. As far as I know, none of the PDA style GPS's is waterproof.

wabbit
12-16-2004, 10:11 AM
My dad has the Compact flash style GPS for his compaq Ipaq.

It is ok for the car, but is kind of cumbersomb (sp?)

The attennae/flash card seems pretty fragile. The software is good, but locks up probably a little more than a GPS specific unit would.

chiko
12-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Santa came through with a Quest for me.

Sleepy Weasel
12-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Santa came through with a Quest for me.

Same here, though I've been too sick to go out and use it. :(

Still need to pick up a mount. I guess I could stick the included suction cup mount over my speedo. My V-Star isn't that fast anyway. :lol:

First impression... I like the way they made it easy to load and unload detailed area maps that automatically overlay the national base map. Still, it would be nice to have a ton of memory so I could just have everything in memory all the time.

Tourmeister
12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Is the Quest a Garmin or Magellan? Or "C", other...?

Hood Ornament
12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Quest is a new Garmin unit.

Bagwell
12-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey, you guys let us know how that quest is. I am interested. I want a gps soon, and I had the 60c or cs in mind but I like the extended memory of the quest and Magelan Color that uses cards. I just would like the option of more memory if needed. From what scott has said about the 60 though, it seems like a nice unit with some nice features. I dont really have to have the compass and barometer though.
I do like the idea that the quest comes with the north america software. I wonder if anyone in here is very familiar with the Magellan units and their software.

Im sure I will figure it out by the time I am ready to get one.

chiko
12-30-2004, 09:08 PM
I will do a write up on the quest in the HW section when I get my mounting bracket and RAM mount in. Garmin just released a MC powered bracket but GPS city doesnt have it in stock yet.

Wabbit got a Touratech
http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=2794&start=15
for his quest but it doesnt have power. The unit should last 20 hours per spec. I intentionally drained the battery in about 6 with max bright so that I could fully cycle the battery.

wabbit
12-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Got my Garmin Quest just before Christmas. I have a touratech mount on the way. I used it once on my bike. I unscrewed the wire from the mount and just suction cupped the windshield mount to my tachometer. I put a couple of zip ties on it just to be safe.

I rode 120 miles or so on the bike that way. I was very impressed with the unit. I plotted my course while at home then downloaded it into the quest. It got me where I was going fine and the suction cup held on with no problems.

When I was out I decided I wanted to ride a little longer and pulled out the paper maps to get a quick view of the area. I could have used the quest for this, but the screen is small and details get a litle hard to read when zoomed out too far. The map was easier for this. Once I figured out where to go the quest kept me on course. It was actually kind of nice not having to worry about when the next little road was coming up. It was also nice to see what the up coming corner looked like. The quest did a good job of showing 90 turns as opposed to long sweepers.

On the way back I was running out of time so I just plotted a course straight for home. With the quest you can program home in and then use one button to auto-route home. There are 3 routing modes: Fastest, Shortest, and Off Road. Fastest is good for long distances where you would want to use highways. Shortest seems to work better when highways are nearby or for travelling short distance. Off-road calculates an "as the crow flies" route straight home. This would be good for hiking. In off-road mode you also have the option to use the simulated digital compass to get home. I used the fastest routing to get home. This turned out to probably not be the fastest ride home. Since the area I was in was sparcely populated the GPS tried its best to get us onto higher speed roads. These roads seemed to be the ones leading right into towns with a lot of traffic and stop lights. I think I would have been better off using the shortest routing. The GPS would have then made more of an "as the crow flies" attempt to get home. Since I was in the countryside I could be pretty sure that all the roads would be fairly high speed.

Another feature which is nice for us that don't have dual sport bikes is the avoidance feature. These are preset road types to avoid when routing. You can choose to avoid Highways, Toll Ways, Un-Paved roads, and U-Turns. I have mine set to avoid Toll Ways and Unpaved Roads. I had the experience of ending up on a one lane gravel road when riding 2-up. Having the quest does reveal roads that aren't on most maps though. Unpaved roads show up as dotted lines. After seeing all the unpaved roads outside of Dallas I want a Dual Sport even more.

Right now I am in Indiana. I used the Gps to get me here and it has done very well. The voice navigation in the car is pretty good. I have loaded detailed maps for my entire trip from Dallas to Indiana (through oklahoma and missouri) as well as maps for an alternate route home through arkansas. I dont think I will have any trouble with the memory capacity of the quest. Even if I travelled outside of the loaded maps the quest is pre-loaded with all major highways in North America.

We have found a couple bugs when trying to route to a location in the "find near me" menu. It seems that some of the addresses don't match the coordinates the GPS is trying to take me too. If I enter an address manually the GPS gets me right there with no problems.

The interface of the unit is decent considering its size. There are a lot of functions buried under other functions and getting the hang of pressing an holding buttons to access certain things takes a little while. I would have to give garmin credit though, they managed to squeeze a lot into a small package.

The car mount is pretty good. The suction cup has a mechanical lever on it that allows it to attach very securely. It is also positionable to about any angle you would need. Getting the Gps into and out of the cradle is a little tough and I think could have been thought out a little better.

The battery life is fine so far. Garmin claims 20 hours in normal use. I believe this means backlight off during the day, and backlight only comes on at night when the unit is telling you to turn. In the car the unit is always charging and you can leave the backlight on constantly. For my one and only ride, I ran it on batteries for about 6 hours in daylight with the backlight off. The battery indicator showed 3/4 charge left after 6 hours. The screen was easy to read in the daylight. Especially on a biek becuase it is right in front of you.

My only complaint is that the quest didnt come with a case. A unit this small is meant to be put in your pocket, but without a case you risk damaging the screen. I saw the soft fabric garmin case at a store, but it is not specific for this model so it slides around inside it. I saw online a leather case. I will probably end up ordering that one. I tried looking at knife sheaths and camera cases but could not come up with anything that fit well.

That's all for now.
-wabbit

Sleepy Weasel
01-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I've had a couple of chances to toy with mine while in my girlfriend's truck. Still waiting for a mount to show up. Went through cyclegadgets.com and ordered a factory Garmin handlebar mount. The pics of it show little contact points like it's wired for a charger, but I'm not sure just yet. Based on the $20 price, compared to $70 or so for the marine mount, etc, I suspect it's just a mounting bracket. Still, it may be possible to fabricate wiring if I can get a few specs from Garmin. We'll see.

I've loaded up maps here around Dallas, as well as for the areas between here & Hico for the Koffee Kup run in a few weeks. It's pretty easy to select the detail maps you want, and you can also create waypoints on your PC and add JUST the waypoints to the Quest, rather than sit there while it tries updating maps & all. I've noticed the same problem Wabbit had with addresses not quite being in the right spot, but that seems to be more a flaw in the Mapsource software. Whether on the PC or on the GPS unit, if I pull my home address by plugging in the house number, it shows it to be about in the middle of my street when I'm actually located more towards the end. Still, if this was an unfamiliar area, it would get me close enough to start looking at house numbers.

I've also had a chance to test reaction time when I deviate from the Quest's suggested route. You don't get too many streets "off course" before it will go ahead and recalculate a new route from your present location. It's also a little eerie to see the little arrow pointing in the same direction as the vehicle, until I realized it has no idea which way I'm facing, just knows which way I'm moving. Duh.

wabbit
01-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Now that everyone is getting "wired" we should post the gps files from mapsource for our rides. That way everyone knows where to go and anyone can take the lead.

I am putting together a route north through Tioga, then to the Denison Dam on the Oklahoma border, then east to carpenters bluff and south through sherman to 697. Basically I am trying to hit all the nice spots north of Dallas in one trip.

It would be cool to get map files for areas around glen rose so that, those of us that are unfamiliar with the area would know what streets to hit etc.

wabbit
01-05-2005, 04:37 PM
This is a cool mount I just found for the quest. You can mount it directly to the handlebar or attach it to a ram mount. The cradle has a plug in it for a standard ear phone, and plugs to wire it into your bike.

I think I may send my touratech mount back and get this one. I can't use the garmin mount because I dont have a good place on the handlebar for it. I would need to put it on a ram mount.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2828.1.12711066826082722176/questcradlepo.html

Tourmeister
01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
You will need to be sure everyone has the latest version of the MapSource software. I believe the latest is Version 6.3. This is important because older versions cannot load maps, routes, tracks from newer versions.

Adios,

Hood Ornament
01-06-2005, 03:48 PM
You will need to be sure everyone has the latest version of the MapSource software. I believe the latest is Version 6.3. This is important because older versions cannot load maps, routes, tracks from newer versions.

Adios,

Actually 6.5 was just released the other day.

Tourmeister
01-06-2005, 03:50 PM
doh! :roll: Guess I'll go download it.

Adios,

chiko
01-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I am advised by my dad who has had a GPS for quite a while that it does address location through interpolation. What this means is that it knows where a block ends and where one begins and guesses that addresses along the block are evenly distributed. It would take too much memory to store the actual coordinates of every address.

Burned in Waypoints may be different. It may actually know the exact lat lon coordinates of that gas station on the exit ramp.

I amazed that it can hold as much as it does.

chiko
01-07-2005, 11:27 PM
6.5 version fixes the main problem I had with the old version that would paint the route on top of the road and on top of road name / number. New version puts the road identifier like FM 2 over the route so you can see it.

twinrider
01-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Just a note since I'm new to the forum.

I have the 2620 from Garmin and have put a lot of miles on it in the cage and on my bike with no problems at all. It has traveled from Texas to Seattle and back in a cage twice and all around the hill country and the Corpus area on my bike and it hasn't missed a beat. I have heard people talking about the drive screwing up, but I have not experienced this at all. The only thing is if you have gloves on while riding your bike it can be a little hard to make adjustments if needed, but if you keep the remote in your pocket it is a little easier to make adjustments on the fly. I would suggest you STOP to make major adjustments if you are in your car or on your bike as just like a cell phone you can get distracted from what you should be doing........DRIVING ! :-D

HouFJR
01-14-2005, 10:41 AM
That's exactly correct. My house, on a cul-de-sac, isn't in the right position on the GPS map, because the numbering isn't evenly distributed. On-line maps like Mapquest and Yahoo have the same problems.

Points of Interest in the Garmin database seem to be stored by address, so they'd have this same problem, but waypoints that you create are by lat/long, so they're much more precise.

I am advised by my dad who has had a GPS for quite a while that it does address location through interpolation. What this means is that it knows where a block ends and where one begins and guesses that addresses along the block are evenly distributed. It would take too much memory to store the actual coordinates of every address.

Burned in Waypoints may be different. It may actually know the exact lat lon coordinates of that gas station on the exit ramp.

Sleepy Weasel
01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
I've had a few more chances to use the Quest. Still always in the GF's truck, since the mount I ordered still hasn't arrived.

Took a trip down to Babe's in Roanoke the other day and it seemed a good chance to let it plot a route. Most people think of these for going places they haven't been before, but this time it reminded me of the best and most obvious route to a familiar place. It should come equipped with a little hand that smacks you upside the head and says "Duh!"

I'm actually pretty tempted to just use the suction mount and stick it to my speedometer. It was a REAL pain getting it to release from the truck windshield. The only problem is it would be way below my line of sight, and I'd be more inclined to divert my attention to check it.

wabbit
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
I rode with the mount suction cupped on my bike when we rode last.

I looked down at one point on pur trip and noticed that the GPS was crooked in the cradle. Either it had popped loose or I didnt put it in correctly. Either way, one more good bump and we would have had a chance to impact test the quest. It seems pretty rugged, but I don't think sliding down the asphault at 70 mph would have done any good for it.

-wabbit

Mer
01-18-2005, 05:43 PM
I rode with the mount suction cupped on my bike when we rode last.

I looked down at one point on pur trip and noticed that the GPS was crooked in the cradle. Either it had popped loose or I didnt put it in correctly. Either way, one more good bump and we would have had a chance to impact test the quest. It seems pretty rugged, but I don't think sliding down the asphault at 70 mph would have done any good for it.

-wabbitECK!!! I wondered about that when I saw your suction mount...how strong it was. :shock:

wabbit
01-18-2005, 05:53 PM
the suction cup was fine. It was the unit sitting in the cradle that was a problem. I have a touratech mount now so that shouldnt be a problem anymore.

whoa
01-18-2005, 11:30 PM
OK, this sounds pretty cool. And I can see why the three listed at the top of this post are popular but is there a budget product that is worth buying?

Looking around a bit I see some portable, map capable, monochrome units in the early $100 range. Some even have PC interfaces.

So at this level are the units good enough to start using and get pretty good service? Such as the Garmin eTrex is not map compatible so would you pass on it? Or the Garmin eTrex Legand only has 8mb of memory so is it very limited?

I ride bicycle quite a bit and would really like to have something like this to support those long country rides.

chiko
01-22-2005, 06:04 PM
http://home.houston.rr.com/echipko/austin.jpg

The pink square above is one "map" and takes 3.4MB. A map is the unit of the overall set of maps stored on the CD.

Houston was described in 4 maps and took 7.9MB.

This is for detailed maps of area down to minor streets and businesses. There should also be a "Base Map" in the unit. My Quest has a base map that has all the major roads in North America and businesses on exit ramps so good enough for cross country caging with no detailed maps loaded.

EricJRW
01-23-2005, 08:38 AM
How do you think the Quest and the 2610 compare?

Form factor of the Quest is nice, but the screen is smaller. Is it too small?
But is the larger size of the 2610 too big for a bike?
The 2610 is also heavier. Not bad on the bike, but off - Does it matter?

For the econo-route, how about saving money on a monchrome unit? I'll bet the Garmin GPS V could be picked up for a song...

Would love a unit, but also have a fondness for paper maps...

chiko
01-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I didnt really consider the 2610, I was bouncing between the Quest and the 60C. One great thing about the handhelds is that they are easier to move between vehicles. The 26xx series just seemed to bulky and conspicuous for my R1100GS. A touring style bike may be fine with the bigger units.

Of the two I pretty much chose the Quest just to be different. The 60C is a bit better for the bike because of the sturdiness of the antenna. The quest one is a bit floppy. I dont have the Mount yet, do in Feb so I dont have on bike experience yet except when I put it in the tank bag.

Screen size - before buying I really considered that wanted the unit to be mounted up by my instrument cluster to have a cleaner look. But that isnt realistic given the size of the quest and my bike layout which has the instrument cluster at arms length +6" so that forced a handle bar mount.

Resolution is probably a more important consideration. Is the screen big becuase the information is written big or is it still small text and pictures with more information on the screen at one time.

I considered going used or older. The older units are definitely cheaper but I know people are upgrading to newer units for a good reason. Most people seemed to hold onto the unit for 3 or more years so it looke like a good idea to spend the money on one you would keep for awhile.

whoa
01-23-2005, 09:52 AM
For the econo-route, how about saving money on a monchrome unit? I'll bet the GArmin GPS V could be picked up for a song...

I'm still shopping so no experience. But reading the GPS for Dummies the author says the mono is a good way to save $$ and not give up much. He says the color does help with maps though.

I'd like to use the same unit for hiking and bicycling (road) as well so I need good battery time and smaller is better. I also read that smaller screens with high resolution are more difficult to read. Do you want to be able to read the screen while riding? I'm fine with stopping to check the GPS, just like I do with maps.

And again, the author says to continue using maps/compass, even if only as a backup in case of GPS failure.

Hood Ornament
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
The 2610's just had a price reduction. www.tvnav.com has them for $650 and Garmin has a $100 rebate on them, so that comes out to only $50 more then a Quest. So for $50 more you get a larger scereen, better resolution, and you get expandable memory.

The 2610 is the only unit I considered for use on the bike. It's not too big and it easily fits on my Busa, and of course the GS . My biggest concern when getting a GPS was memory, and the CF memory which the 2610 uses is dirt cheap. I don't want to carry a laptop around with me on trips to DL detailed maps, when I run out of memory, so I use a 1Gig CF card and it can hold all the detailed maps I need for a long trip. A 2 Gig card will hold the whole City Navigator map set.

Anonymous
01-25-2005, 03:51 PM
This is a cool mount I just found for the quest. You can mount it directly to the handlebar or attach it to a ram mount. The cradle has a plug in it for a standard ear phone, and plugs to wire it into your bike.

I think I may send my touratech mount back and get this one. I can't use the garmin mount because I dont have a good place on the handlebar for it. I would need to put it on a ram mount.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2828.1.12711066826082722176/questcradlepo.html
Hey, Wabbit, is this the same kit? http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=bh94muvpe8077cn&id=1003083&tra ck=searchViewed If so, it's $20 cheaper and in stock.

Tx Rider
01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
The 2610's just had a price reduction. www.tvnav.com has them for $650 and Garmin has a $100 rebate on them, so that comes out to only $50 more then a Quest. So for $50 more you get a larger scereen, better resolution, and you get expandable memory.

The 2610 is the only unit I considered for use on the bike. It's not too big and it easily fits on my Busa, and of course the GS . My biggest concern when getting a GPS was memory, and the CF memory which the 2610 uses is dirt cheap. I don't want to carry a laptop around with me on trips to DL detailed maps, when I run out of memory, so I use a 1Gig CF card and it can hold all the detailed maps I need for a long trip. A 2 Gig card will hold the whole City Navigator map set.

Hmm this is starting to look doable, what does a 2 gig CF card go for?

chiko
01-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey, Wabbit, is this the same kit? http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=bh94muvpe8077cn&id=1003083&tra ck=searchViewed If so, it's $20 cheaper and in stock.

That is the kit for the 2610 which looks to be the ticket.
Still waiting for my Quest kit to come out of back order at GPSCity.com
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/42147.8.13167400318612265447/questcradlepo.html

Sleepy Weasel
01-25-2005, 10:23 PM
I've got an order in with cyclegadgets.com for the " Garmin Quest handlebar mount bracket" listed on this page:
http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/Garmin/detail.asp?prod=QUEST

It looks like the unit listed on Garmin's website, but I'm not 100% sure at this point. The $20 price tag compared to $70+ for the marine mount, etc. implied to me that it probably doesn't include wires, but emails back and forth with the cyclegadgets folks say otherwise. I ordered it on 01/04 and got a note back saying it was on backorder. They said it would be 10 days, so after 17 days I wrote to ask if I was going to have a mount in time for the Hico run. They replied:

"The Garmin handle bar mount is still on backorder. We do carry a Ram
mount and a mount from High Gear called the Tech Mount that will fit the
Quest. This mount is not powered and you would need to run off of the
Quest battery. The powered mount will not be ready until March from
Garmin. Let me know if I can be of any further help to you.

Thank you and ride safe
Darrick Ling
http://www.CycleGadgets.com
Toll Free 877-7GADGET (877-742-3438)"

So, the good news is they just promised me a powered mount for $20, the bad news is they promised I won't have it before March.
Meanwhile, I can vouch for the strength of the suction mount. Even after letting off on the lever that tightens down the suction cup, it can still be a real **** to get the cup off a glass surface. I think the cradle protion is the biggest liability, as it doesn't incorporate anything to lock it down in place. The GPS just snaps in and out of the cradle.

Sleepy Weasel
01-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Hmmm, well, I just got an automated notice from cyclegadgets... says it shipped from Indiana today and delivery is expected Friday.

So I know their customer service people are just spitting out words without knowing what they're saying. I'm guessing most likely this means the guy didn't know what he was talking about when he referred to "the powered mount" because $20 is just too good to be true.

Hood Ornament
01-26-2005, 04:11 PM

Hmm this is starting to look doable, what does a 2 gig CF card go for?

Newegg has 2 Gig cards for $145.

chiko
01-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I The $20 price tag compared to $70+ for the marine mount, etc. implied to me that it probably doesn't include wires, but emails back and forth with the cyclegadgets folks say otherwise.

Unpowered.

You can see the original garmin part number at the Cycle Gadgets site
http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/Garmin/detail.asp?prod=QUEST

and compare that with Garmin at
http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_product.jsp?sku=010-00306-00

Sleepy Weasel
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Yup, unpowered, and too low a profile to clear a decent sized set of bar risers. I'm shipping this sucker back.

One nice thing about it was that the cradle and bar clamp are two separate pieces, so you can leave the clamp in place and just unlock the cradle. It's too bad they didn't try clamping it to a set of bars that were actually mounted to a motorcycle.

wabbit
02-02-2005, 11:20 AM
This one might work for you.

I probably would have bought it if it was available when I ordered mine.

http://www.cycoactive.com/ram/quest.shtml

Tx Rider
02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Any thoughts on how well a 2610 would be for offroad riding?

WoodButcher
02-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Any thoughts on how well a 2610 would be for offroad riding?

Depends on how off road. Since it is card based, not hard drive that is in it's favor. My folks have one and it seems solid, but at that price I'd be cautious about it taking too many hits.

I run a garmin etrex vista on my dirt bike and it has been shaken quite a bit an no problems. I think the trick with the 2610 would be that you would need an external battery pack, or wire it in since it doesn't have it's own batteries.

I'd have no problems with running it on dirt roads though on a big dual sport.

Oh yeah, I really like my folks and wish I had one :-D

Tx Rider
02-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Well never having had a GPS, I don;t know about features or display or software.

I know they make different ones for different uses, like marine or backpacking.

I guess I was wondering if it would be as useful for offroad like Arizona or Nevada or a cheaper model night have better features for that kind of thing with topographic software/display etc.

Tx Rider
02-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Well I was looking at some comparos, and it doesn't seem the 2610 can take in much but the street maps. The 2gig memory sure is sweet though.

After more confusing waddling through way more info than any man should have to try to soak up I think the Garmin 276C is my best bet.

It does all the routing and even voice, but also will load the U.S. Topo maps, high detail U.S. parks maps, offshore and lake charts, and other nice features like handheld capability. Only limitation is 256MB memory card max. So 3-4 cards for all the maps of the country.

After months of consideration I think my mind is made up.

dower
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
After months of consideration I think my mind is made up.

Be sure to post a review when you get acquainted with it. :-D

:chug:

Tx Rider
03-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Just ordered a "super isolated" mount so I can use th 276C on my KTM as well as my FZ and harley.

If all works out well i'll be DS'ing with in Big Bend and you can see it for yourself.

So far so good, I've never used a GPS before so I don't have a lot to compare it to really.

I've kinda figured out how to make routes on it or on a pc, download em etc., it worked great in the rain on the pie run and getting home. It auto routed fine when I decided to take a road that wasn't on my route. It comes with the base map of the U.S. in it's onboard memory, that goes down to state highway level roads and interstate gas stations and such.

The 128MB card held the high detail maps for Texas but they filled it. 256MB cards are the largest it'll use evidently so I guess I'll need a few of those in the end. High detail maps go down to rat trails evidently, had my folks little unmaintained road, and even their driveway loop out in BFE between Bastrop and Smithville.

Next will be wiring it in on the bike. It appears to be super versatile, even for marine navigation as it'll wire into a boats speed sensors and depth guage/sonar etc. There's more different nav/map datum modes than I think I'll ever learn about even some kind of LORAN readout. There's a celestial page on it that shows tides and sun/moon etc. Tracking that shows your track in waypoints and elevation etc.

Only strangeness so far is it didn't route me around some unpaved roads when I told it to avoid unpaved roads in the route preferences, then again I was on an unpaved road when I told it that. :) It did however take my input for how fast I normally go on certain road types and got a good ETA estimate.

The screen is nice and bright, and automatically goes to a nice blue night mode at sunset. Battery was at 1/2 charge after 5 hours or so of continuous running.

The screen is about the same size as a 2610, good reading and everything all displays are content customizeable with large and small font display.

I'll be ordering the USGS topographic series for it this week, should be interesting using that in Big Bend.

I think I'll be discovering things about it for quite a while.

Wasabi
04-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi Dyna Sport (John)

I am looking at the Garmin 276C for my KLR and VStrom. Now that you have had the system for a while and had a chance to use it on the Big Bend ride could you offer some insight. In particular did you have any concern with the vibration, dust, water ? How was the reception, was the screen clear during the bright day light? What type mount are you using ? Is the power hard wired or are you using a battery ? How accurate was the maps for the Big Bend ride?

Could you post some pics of your setup on the KTM. :-D

Thanks

Bill

Tourmeister
04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I liked his GPS. The screen is large, letting you see a bigger area at better detail than my 60CS. Also, he could load the City Select maps AND the Topo maps, and then toggle back and forth between them easily. His maps showed the little goat trail that connected two dead end roads and mine did not. Not sure why though as I thought we were both using the exact same map sets. If he had concerns about vibrations, dust or water, I certainly could not tell it from his riding :-P His screen is similar to mine in the color and visibility aspect. Easy to see, day or night. He was using a RAM Mount similar to mine, handle bar mounted. I believe he has it hard wired to the battery like mine (or something, not sure if his bike has a battery...).

Adios,

Tx Rider
04-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I have it mounted on a RAM mount, the ultra isolated mount is on backorder and they have no idea when they will get more. If they don't hurry I'll fabricate my own.

The unit comes with a cord for hard wiring to your bike, and I bought the latest city select USA road map that comes with a car mount, map CD, trip waypoint manager blah blah and a little cigarrete lighter cord with a speaker so it can talk to you in the car. :)

The unit comes with a basemap of all US major roads in it permanently, that handles interstates and state highways but nothing smaller. You need city select for detailed street maps and U.S. topo for topo coverage of the U.S.

I used the cord that came with it to wire it to the bike.

The only real issue I have is the RAM mount. The vibes of the thumper are extreme enough that the actual cradle the gps clips into and the GPS housing are eating on one another from rubbing.

I put a layer of electrical tape between the surfaces for this trip and it seemed to eliinate that issue.

The unit is supposedly waterproof to 30 meters, I had to wipe off the display a couple times so I think I'll get some palm pc screen protector film and apply it to save the screen from wear.

The display has adjustable lighting level, and it shifts to night mode display at sunset which is dark blue based for night time.

The other issue is memory, it uses the proprietary garmin cards, one 256mb card is enough to hold both the topo and detailed street maps of Texas with a bit left over.

It's also a marine charting navigator, with inputs for depth guage and sonar etc, will output Loran etc. and you can buy the marine charts to load into it. That means a few extra features like tide tables and celestial pages of info and some kind of fishing thing that I haven't looked into much yet.

I'm liking it a lot, if you got extra money and want to play safe Cycoactive sells a "hardened" version for a couple hundred more, basically they open it up and fill the voids with silicon I think.

I waited a long time to get a GPS, and I think this one will last me a long time. The proprietary memory kinda sux as it's small at 256mb max and expensive, but the GPS itself rocks enough that I can overlook it.

chiko
04-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I hope this doesnt jinx it but my wired quest cradle just came off backorder and shows to be shipped. Only had to wait 3 1/2 months.

bushwhacker
04-20-2005, 07:09 PM
You need city select for detailed street maps and U.S. topo for topo coverage of the U.S.

I have the Garmin MetroGuide full unlocked version. This pretty much covers everything.

The only differences I have found between this and Topo is that you have to be zoomed in one more level sometimes to see some of the roads that you see on Topo, but they are all there.

-

Writeum Cowboy
04-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Went to Bass Pro shop in Grapevine yesterday to check out the units. The 2610 is no longer available and now the 2620 is $1,099 with touch screen, but no more uploadable software.

The 276 is still the best way to go at $699 plus $215 for the detailed street maps and $100 for the topo. It comes with a cool mount, but it needs altering or a new unit for the motorcycle. Looks like about $1,000 for the enire package.

I need to stay out of that store. Candy, candy , candy.

Me with a sweet tooth.

WC

Tx Rider
04-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Well it appears the touratech super isolated mount I bought in Feb or March finally shipped, should have it soon. Hope it's worth the money.

EricJRW
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Bass Pro Shop is VERY expensive on their Garmin's. I'm all for supporting local shops. But when their price is $200 higher than the Internet, and I still will have to pay ~8% tax, I just can't bring myself to do it.

I bought my 2610 from Amazon.com (it's now priced at $660, the 2620 is $900). No tax and FREE shipping. Motorcycle mount from Amazon was $35, also a very good deal.

The 2620 has an internal harddrive, which unless you have a really smoth ride, is not generally recommended for bikes. The 2610, with a 2MB CF card, will funtion identically to a 2620 and give you the map CDs. 2MB CF cards can be found for less than $150. Smaller sizes even less. Currently I'm using a few 512s waiting for a real deal on a 1 or 2 MB CF.

Writeum Cowboy
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Eric,

I agree that Bass Pro sells for list price and you can always get a better deal on ebay, but what's more important to me is the warranty and a good store to stand behind their products. The salesman at the counter was VERY well educated on all types of systems and could show me a great deal how to use the unit without having to just rely on reading the manual. (I am not a big fan of factory manuals)

I understand that the book "GP for Dummies" is good, and I'm sure I'll buy that soon to understand how to get the most out of a unit.

The only reason to get one a BPS is for their knowledge of al the units they sell and have somewhere to go with further questions and problems. I'm really tired of calling 800 numbers, being put on hold for hours, etc. or looking at the FAQ's on a website that really doesn't have the info I need.

Maybe there's a better place to buy the unit than BPS. I was kind of hoping someone else in the DFW area might come up with another store suggestion. I'm just not real big on buying this kind of electronic unit from ebay.

WC

Tx Rider
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
REI sells GPS's as does Walmart and probably some electronics stores.

Fry's might as well, though service isn't really their game either.

I bought at BPS as the price wasn't that much higher when I bought. I've bought the maps and memory cards online.

I would like to at some point see a 2610 in action with the U.S. topo maps, the 276c's topo map features and marine features sold me on it but that 2GB memory on the 2610 sure is sweet. I hear 4GB SD cards are in the works as well that it could use.

Writeum Cowboy
05-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Problem is the 2620 replaces the 2610, and they are discontinuing the 2610.

EricJRW
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree, the guy at BPS (Grapevine) did know a lot, but he was not perfect (at least the guy I spoke with). He was under the (correct) impression that the Quest was waterproof, but the 2610 was not (incorrect). They are both waterproof to the same level (IPX-7). There were a few other things too, but this one was rather obvious. Anyway, I find the information on the boards much more usefull and always take what a salesman tells me with a grain of salt. I solve a lot more problems via the Internet than with a person behind a counter... And over $250 in savings is just too much to pass up, afterall, I still want a comm system...

Two other good GPS info sources are:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=86
(be sure to see the "undocumented features" thread and document http://home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/SP26X0UndocumentedFeatures.htm ), and

http://www.gpsinformation.net/

Tourmeister
05-05-2005, 01:57 AM
My Dad has a 60CS unit that he wants to sell. It has everything except that little round doohickey that screws into the back of the unit for clipping it to your belt or a mounting bracket. Don't know what he did with it. However, the unit has been used once and then has been sitting on his desk. It is literally in new condition. Got all the boxes, manuals, cables, etc,... They sell new right now for about $350 after the current $50 rebate offered until July. He would take $250. I am sure getting the new doohickey should not be hard. In fact, here it is with a handlebar mounting bracket!

http://www.tigergps.com/gahamobr60se.html

Anyone interested?

Hood Ornament
05-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Problem is the 2620 replaces the 2610, and they are discontinuing the 2610.

Well you see the problem with your well educated BPS counter guy is he really DOESN'T know what he's talking about. The 2610 is NOT discontinued. The 2610 and the 2620 have run as side by side models since the 2620 came out.

As for warranty issues. Dealing with Garmin direct is a breeze. I lost the front screw in piece on my car power adapter to my 2610. Didn't really want to spend $45 on a whole new cable so I called up Garmin to see if I could buy the lost parts. The support guy tells me I'll just send you a whole new cable at no charge. Got it 4 days later.

whoa
05-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I ordered the Etrex Vista last week from Amazon for $213. That's the best price I'd seen after looking for a while. Then I noticed the post from Tourmeister. I'd rather have picked up the 60CS but the Vista will suit me for cycling and hiking.

Tourmeister
05-24-2005, 11:55 PM
:tab The Vistas are just incredibly slow at redrawing the screen and also the serial cable is insanely slow!! I had the one with 24mb of memory and to transfer that amount by a serial cable could easily take more than an hour. Unless there was just no way in the world I could afford it, I would not get one without the USB transfer.

Adios,

WoodButcher
05-25-2005, 08:05 AM
When I got my Vista, it was the best thing out there in the small unit size. It's been good for bicycling and hiking. Kind of hard to see in the truck, but I do use it a decent amount. On the motorcycle it works very well for offroad, and not bad for the street. Fewer shadows on the screen.

You are right about the refresh speed, but I only notice that when I'm in the truck moving fast and zoomed in. Which I seldom do, but I could see being more common on a street bike.

Used my parents 2610 recently and really like the color and the speed. Plus the auto-routing was nice. I'm trying to talk them into getting a c320 and passing the 2610 on to me. It's a vehicle based unit only, no batteries.

Tourmeister
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I had a lot of trouble getting and keeping satellite reception with the Etrex. Not sure why. Anyway, the 60CS is much better in that regard. I would look on Ebay for an Etrex. You can find many new ones for close to $100 in the box.

Adios,

Tx Rider
06-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Just to tell how it's been, I've had a few thousand miles with the 276c now.

It's been dusted in big bend, rained on for a couple of pie runs, through at least 4 drops of the bike one of which being a high side in sand dunes, and run in snow and ice with my front tire covering it in mud. The $30 RAM mount from Cycoactive has done well, I haven't even mounted the pricey vibe isolating touratech mount yet.

It's been mounted on my dirt bike through gnarly single track in rain and snow and rocky bouncy climbs and vibrations only a KTM thumper can deliver. It's cooked in my truck in the 98 degree sun.

It'll also go pretty much all day on a battery charge.

It's done very well. The only issue I've had was the desert dust got into the battery pack contacts and made it shut off once, one wipe with a t-shirt and that was fixed.

The 256mb card will fit all of Texas in both street and topo maps and then some, I think 2 of them will be all I'll ever need.

The screen is great, better visibility in direct sunlight than shaded IMO, and the automatic black background night screen rocks.

The options for routing are good, but the algorithms can get a bit weird on where they tell you to go if you go nuts with it. The number of settings for detail and zoom and text labels on roads/cities/rivers/elevation and other settings are impressive and let you set it up to your style, even has older datums, tides, fishing forecaster etc. built in.

The only other problem I have is wiping the screen in rain or mud or snow with dirty gloves, I've already noticed some fine scratches, it really needs some of that palm computer screen protection film.

Overall it's better than I had expected in all details, with the proprietary memory stick limitation being the only downside. It's still the best unit going IMO for now anyway.

Hairsmith
06-20-2005, 11:29 PM
My Garmin Vista C is USB and draws the maps quite fast.
It has bin a nice compact GPS. But Garmin will not make any of there softwear compatable with Mac. So I have to drag out my old clunky Winders box to load maps on it.
Now to get a mount for the GS....

Take Care

dower
06-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Dyna Sport,
Where did you end up ordering your 276C from?

Anyone have any experience with www.caplinktech.com?

Thanks

Tx Rider
06-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I drove down to Bass pro shop down the road from my house.

I guess I could have saved a few bucks online, but I didn't.

I got the automobile kit along with it that has car mounts, mapsource software, city select (detailed USA streetmap) and a 128mb card included.

I picked up the USA topo series later.

brewer90
06-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Never heard of caplinktech.

I just ordered my Garmin 76C from gdsdisount.com. They shipped the same day I ordered and I had it the next day. Other good online GPS dealers are gpscity.com and tvnav.com just to name a few. Gpsdiscount had the RAM mounts in stock too so I went with them.

dower
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, it looks like I'm going to go with gpsdiscount.com

Here is what I'm ordering

GPSMAP 276C
Garmin US Topo
Blank 256MB Memory Cartridge
AutoNav Kit for Garmin 276C
Ram Mount
Garmin Motorcycle Power/Audio Cable for 276C

Is there anything else I may need?

brewer90
06-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I think you have everything you need for the car and bike. That's going to be a great setup.

dower
06-22-2005, 11:47 AM
The only reason, I'm getting the AutoNav kit is because it comes with 128MB of memory, the City Select CD, plus all the other little things. So it comes out to be a decent deal.

Tx Rider
06-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Sounds like you got all you need.

I didn't get the extra cable, the GPS comes with one that has bare ended wires as well as a nifty marine mount for installing in a boat. I guess the audio cable already has the headphone plug etc. on the end though so that should be convenient.

I don't use the audio cues on my bike so I just bundled up the rest and hooked up the power wires to a plug I can plug into all my bikes.