• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Garmin GPSes

The Quest looks pretty cool. A bit pricey though. I am sure it will be available at retail discounters for much less. I recently bought a 60CS and love it.

Adios,

Scott, after two threads on GPS's, I'm still confused, which do you consider to be the best value? I'm looking for a handlebar mounting bracket and probably a hand-held unit although the one shown here is pretty cool.

I swear by my Garmin V!

The trip I did last March was 100% navigated using the GPS and I never set a tire on a super-slab.

Pete

Well now, an E-Trex Legend with 24 MB of memory, route charting and directions. Now this would be just about perfect for everything I need on rides. I have said that the 8 MB the current legend has is just not enough, but 24 would be plenty. Also has a USB download/uplaod capability, bonus.

I never said which I think is the best value :-P I am certainly not an expert on GPS units! I have a 60CS and like it. Is it the best value? Works great for what I need.

Adios,

I've been following the GPS market for years (anyone remember the Sony Pyxis or Trimble's consumer stuff?) and have been totally impressed with Garmin's products. Garmin is an American company that builds rugged, feature-rich GPSes that are amazingly affordable, and they back 'em up with top-notch service.

Right now, the 60CS looks good if you want a small walkie-talkie form factor. I've got a Streetpilot III in the car, and it's awesome, but a bit large for a bike (it's the original BMW navigator.)

The new Quest looks like a great compromise for riders... I'm anxiously awaiting one to check out in person.

For those in the DFW area the Bass Pro shop in Grapevine has a good selection of GPSs in the electronic department.

The one in Katy Mills has a good selection for folks in the Houston area. Other spots stocking GPSes are West Marine stores.

I've seen the Quest in person at a Trade Show. It is very nice and very small. It is easy to just take it off the bike fold the attenae and slip it into a pocket. About the size of a cell phone from 2 years ago.

The only downside for motorcycling is the antennae. Apparently it is as sturdy as some others because of the way it folds. Touratech makes a nice mount that supports the antennae. http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/search_sku.lasso?sku=065-0090

Because of its size and features I am getting one for christmas and a touratech mount. I'll report back after I get it and let you know how it works out.

I've got the 60CS as well, and have been very pleased with it. I really wanted (and still do) the StreetPilot 2610, but when I had the Busa, I couldn't justify either the cost, or exactly where I was going to mount it. Now that I have the ST, and Amazon has the 2610 marked down to $530 after rebates ... man am I temped.

The 60CS has 54MB of internal memory and is NOT upgradable. I downloaded the detailed maps for my entire 5 state ride over the summer, and still had room to spare. My only complaint with the 60CS was that anytime I tried to have it auto-route me, if kept trying to dump be up on I-40 when the route I wanted to take was all backroads. With a few waypoints plotted along the route, I soon worked past that issue.

I want a garmin 2620, so I never have to upload a map to it etc., but they cost so much there's no way I can justify a new one.

In a year or so I'll probably be able to pick one up on ebay for a decent price though, they are going for well under a grand there already.

The 2620 won't work on most bikes, the micro drive is just too sensitive to vibration. Tried one on both my Busa and my Beemer and it wouldn't work. Lukily I sold it for almost what I paid for it. Heck, I've herd they don't work in some cars either! Besides, 2 Gig CF cards are less then $150 these days. A 2610 with the 2 gig card can hold all the us detailed maps. A bonus is that it comes with the City Select disks so you can load Mapsource on to your PC and do all your route planning that way instead of trying to do it on the unit itself ( The 2620 does not come with Mapsource CD'S since all the maps are loaded on the drive) which would be a royal **** for any trip over a couple hundred miles.

Hmm, my MP3 player uses a drive, and it works ok. It's actually a regular Toshiba 5GB PCMCIA hard drive, I noticed when I took the case open.

Come to think of it it did skip a lot when I hit 100+ in my jacket pocket, and I do have it encased in memory foam in my tank bag pocket to stop that. If I solid mounted the mp3 player it probably wouldn't play at all.

I'll have to think about that, that means it would have to live in the map case on the tank bag to keep the shock down or it wouldn't work.

Hmm, do any garmins take huge arsed memory cards, like 1GB or larger?

Garmin apparently has $100 rebates on the 26xx series... the 2610 is really starting to sing a siren song....must think of others for xmas....argh...

I am seriously considering getting a compact flash type GPS to use it with my PDA. That would be sweet. Only concern I have is what is the "g" rating of the PDA vs a regular GPS unit

Another thing to consider is waterproofing. As far as I know, none of the PDA style GPS's is waterproof.

My dad has the Compact flash style GPS for his compaq Ipaq.

It is ok for the car, but is kind of cumbersomb (sp?)

The attennae/flash card seems pretty fragile. The software is good, but locks up probably a little more than a GPS specific unit would.

Santa came through with a Quest for me.

chiko said:
Santa came through with a Quest for me.

Same here, though I've been too sick to go out and use it. :(

Still need to pick up a mount. I guess I could stick the included suction cup mount over my speedo. My V-Star isn't that fast anyway. :lol:

First impression... I like the way they made it easy to load and unload detailed area maps that automatically overlay the national base map. Still, it would be nice to have a ton of memory so I could just have everything in memory all the time.

Is the Quest a Garmin or Magellan? Or "C", other...?

Hey, you guys let us know how that quest is. I am interested. I want a gps soon, and I had the 60c or cs in mind but I like the extended memory of the quest and Magelan Color that uses cards. I just would like the option of more memory if needed. From what scott has said about the 60 though, it seems like a nice unit with some nice features. I dont really have to have the compass and barometer though.
I do like the idea that the quest comes with the north america software. I wonder if anyone in here is very familiar with the Magellan units and their software.

Im sure I will figure it out by the time I am ready to get one.

I will do a write up on the quest in the HW section when I get my mounting bracket and RAM mount in. Garmin just released a MC powered bracket but GPS city doesnt have it in stock yet.

Wabbit got a Touratech
http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=2794&start=15
for his quest but it doesnt have power. The unit should last 20 hours per spec. I intentionally drained the battery in about 6 with max bright so that I could fully cycle the battery.

Back