• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

We have a rider -

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
SWMBO had her first off-road trip today. We went to SHNF and did 20 miles-

She did AWESOME!! Much better than I anticipated. Despite some initial consternation with starting, restarting, and sand, she picked it up & kept on going, by the end she was running a respectable pace!! Sorry no pics, just imagine two muddy XR riders.

The Day: Breakfast at Kings, good ride, Post ride crawfish & beer, and a bad movie (and more beer) - Best Day EVER!!!!

Lessons learned:

1. Trails Open does NOT mean trails are dry - the damp sand and soil was perfect, the snot-consistency mudholes took some effort.

1.a Corrolary to 1: A woman will stop on solid ground before the snot-section and ask for help. A man will plow in blindly and get buried axle deep, and still not ask for help.

2. Get outta the way. When she's ready to go, GO!!!

3. She is not impressed by wheelies or log jumps. No matter how much you are.

4. Get the starting procedure down pre-ride. One person can start 2 bikes only so many times.

She managed NOT to go bum-sliding through the nastiest water/mud holes - that is either allotted to excellent teaching, or a powerful stubborn streak . I'd bet on the latter.

Took ten years to get here, maybe another ten and she'll be on the street!!

STrider said:
4. Get the starting procedure down pre-ride. One person can start 2 bikes only so many times.

You didn't learn that one back at Outlaw Trax? :rofl:

I'm so glad she had fun! She DID have fun, right?

Matt, that's awesome, kudo's to her, that 250 is a tall bike, I don't think I would have been able to 20 miles in SHNF for my first ride on a bike that big. Maybe we can do a dirt day at Outlaw with her, Mark wants to go soon.

STrider said:
SWMBO had her first off-road trip today. We went to SHNF and did 20 miles-

She did AWESOME!! .

Took ten years to get here, maybe another ten and she'll be on the street!!

Having had the pleasure of teaching many kids, guys and ladies the wonders of riding in the dirt I know how you must feel....Good job, make sure you encourage her to expand her skills, it just gets better now....

Steve

Back