• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hey KTM riders...

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
I'm looking for some who has a stock spring laying around, I'm in need of OEM straight-rate 72 and 76n/mm KTM springs. I think 72 is what I need, but 76 is worth a try. I know what you're thinking; "that's pretty soft, why would you want this?" Because it's going on my DR650 :trust:

Last edited:
mcrider said:
I have a 63 x 260 mm off my 625 SXC that has pro-lever suspension.
Is 63 the rate? If so, that's the same as what I have on my bike now (365lb); too soft. I'm going by what I've dug up on the WP-PDS (the lightest rate I've seen spec'd so far is 72n/mm). The reason I ask is because 63 is also the inside diameter of the WP-PDS springs.

Yes, 63 is the rate. Here is a WP spring chart I found online.

Last edited:
Ah, very cool, thanks :) Then a 70-71 would be worth trying too. I'm watching a 72 on ebay, probably won't bid on this one though, as I'm aiming for a Ohlins spring I'm also watching that ends after the KTM spring (might be able to pick it up for min bid, $1). I was hoping to find a few somewhat locally and cheap enough that I can experiment before settling on a rate.

Chris, the 63 x 260 number is the inside diameter of the coils and length. I know this because the 640 ADV and PDS shocks have diff inside/outside diameters. There's also two other numbers to consider, outside coil diameter and rider weight which is usually in kg. Check out Race-Tech site. They have a good calculator to figure spring size.

Edit: Well, went to the site and no info on DR650 except the stock wt of 6.5kg.

irondawg said:
Chris, the 63 x 260 number is the inside diameter of the coils and length. I know this because the 640 ADV and PDS shocks have diff inside/outside diameters. There's also two other numbers to consider, outside coil diameter and rider weight which is usually in kg. Check out Race-Tech site. They have a good calculator to figure spring size.

Edit: Well, went to the site and no info on DR650 except the stock wt of 6.5kg.
Yea, Eibach is one of the only ones with an app for the DR650, and they offer 6.7, 7.2, 7.6, 8.1 and 8.4kg rates. 7.2 or 7.6kg is what I'm looking for, which are slightly lighter than 72 and 76n, respectively. The KTM springs have a slightly larger ID (all PDS's are 63mm from what I've read) than the DR, so I'll have to fab an adapter. I want to go with the heavier 7.6kg (suggested for my weight), but I'm not sure my shock has enough rebound damping to handle it, so I might have to settle for a 7.2 (+/-).

If you go with a KTM spring, make sure it doesn't hit the swingarm thru the travel. This is how I found out about 640 ADV and PDS spings being different. I had a slick titanium spring for the 640 but is was for a PDS shock. I was able to mount the spring but then it hit the swingarm.

irondawg said:
If you go with a KTM spring, make sure it doesn't hit the swingarm thru the travel. This is how I found out about 640 ADV and PDS spings being different. I had a slick titanium spring for the 640 but is was for a PDS shock. I was able to mount the spring but then it hit the swingarm.
How'd it hit the swing arm? I'll check again, but if I remember corectly, there's quite a bit of room inside the swing arm. I can't imagine a 1/4" difference in OD would hurt, but I'll check. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back