• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A trip to Baja

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
In the fall of 2001 a buddy and I rode halfway down the Baja peninsula and back (about 1200 miles) mostly on jeep trails and dirt roads. What made this fun is that none of the roads or trails in Baja Mexico have names except for the 3 main highways, and neither of us had a GPS. We picked our route from a topo atlas I found that showed trails less travelled and potenial gas stations ("potential" because they don't always have gas). This was a very low budget grid of maps designed with offroad adventurers in mind. I think some of the trails were even hand drawn. I photocopied each page on 11x17 paper, then taped them together and ran them through a house plan scanner to be plotted on a roll of 36" architectural bond. This was our "map". To our surprise, we were able to navigate the planned route quite closely.

Here's the story:
http://www.clfry.com/adv/baja.html

Last edited:
Bump for those who saw "Dust to Gory", now you have a visual... I had to go back and re-read it after the movie, ah memories,

Plans for going again? Good writeup, makes a man want to pack up and make the run.

Great write up. I am only through the first two days, but I plan to read it on the ride home.

Thanks

Back