• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

suggestions for map software...

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
I've got MS Streets & Trips 2005 and I have gotten used to it and can use it fairly well.

The problem is the maps are not very complete at the "rural road" level.

Plus if you pick two points on a road and there is a gap in the road shown on the map, it routes you around the gap sometimes adding several miles to the calculated route.

If the software allowed an "override" to just connect choosen points placed anywhere on the map by a straight line I could work with it.

Any good mapping software out these that lets you "connect" roads or better yet draw your own via freehand or importing GPS routes ?

I don't mine spending some money, but I want to be able to correct known errors and fill in incomplete roads.

Anyone have any comment about DeLorme TOPO?

Thanks

I've got Delorme Topo 6.0 and like it. I think 7.0 will come out later this year.

You can add routable roads and trails. I think this version lets you create mixed routes (both trail and road). The previous didn't and that was kind of a pain in certain situations.

Detail is pretty good. It does a 3d view of the topo maps too that rotates and stuff. At this point though I use Google Earth for that. The photo data you can download for Delorme isn't cheap nor are the photos as good as GE. However, the topo info and the roads and trails are good.

Back