• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wee Strom w/ ABS questions

Reaction score
I've never ridden a bike with ABS, and I'm curious how it affects the riding experience and if people think it's worth the extra money. I haven't bothered a dealer with my questions since I'm not in a position to buy yet, but I'm not sure I'd get an unbiased answer from one anyway.

My riding would be mostly street and gravel with minimal trail riding.

Thanks!

If I could have afforded it I would have bought a bike w/ABS. I absolutely love it on my work bike and it's saved my hide more than once.

You'll hear arguments on both sides, some claiming it increases your stopping distance and is unsafe on anything but pavement, some saying it "dumbs down" riders and if you work on your skills you don't need it, then some won't ride w/o it.

I say bum a ride on something w/ABS and try it out. I was convinced the day I rode the demo RT-P across the skid pad at 30mph and CLAMPED down on the front brake. No front lock-up, no wreck, the bike just stopped. I'm a believer. :clap:

There was a Beemer video I saw awhile back (but forgot where :shrug: ) that shows a guy on a non-ABS bike with the safety frame (extra wheels) and the bike goes down on the skid pad (the safety stuff saves it but the rider falls off the seat but holds onto the frame). The BMW ABS bike (K12...) is stock, no frame & he rides it to a stop on the pad.

Made a believer out of me. Maybe somebody will remember seeing that video...

StarWatcher said:
Don't know if this is the one you're thinking of, but same idea ....
It was a different one - they did one bike at a time (same rider) but, yes, they both make the same point.

Thanks for adding that one.

I had the opportunity a while back to have a conversation with a local LEO riding the Beemer "R" with ABS installed.

When asked about his opinion about the ABS, he emphatically stated he would not ride without it. This surprised me because in my professional driving experience, I had found ABS systems pretty much a joke because I could outbrake the ABS cars with a regular brake system.

When questioned further, he explained that they were required as part of their motor training to complete a week long skills course which included exiting the pavement onto wet grass at 55mph at full braking to a complete stop.

This guy says the beemer never wiggled, never squirmed, never did anything but come to a full stop in a straight line in a matter of just a few feet.!.:eek2:

Now here's a guy with no bias other than trusting his life every day to his ride and nothing else and he feels this strongly about the BMW ABS system. That's enough to make a convert out of me!

10-95 said:
You'll hear arguments on both sides, some claiming it increases your stopping distance and is unsafe on anything but pavement, some saying it "dumbs down" riders and if you work on your skills you don't need it, then some won't ride w/o it.

I agree 10-95,

These are the arguments I love to hear from some people. "Oh... if you practice, and are good enough, you dont need ABS".

This is funny, because it is not humanly possible to perform the same function with your brain, hands/feet as to the servos working the ABS. There are some cases I admit when ABS may have caused a crash but I guarrantee you the statistics are likely in line with the number of people who died because they WERE wearing a seat beat. This is complete hog wash. ABS serves a valuable function, and is an asset on a motorcycle for those willing to pay the extra money for it.

If you dont like it, its probably because your not used to it. Throw in the sensations of the BMW Telever system and you have rock solid stop with no skid, no pull, and no front end dive. Its a beautiful system and one that has likely saved a lot of people from a either an asphalt exfoliant, or an acute case of death. :thumb: ABS :thumb:

Whats different you ask? Riding around town and on the highway, you will likely notice NO difference in braking at all. That is until you have a car pull out in front of you and out of a reaction you instinctively grab the brakes. At least on my BMW I can actually hear them working... but no fear... no other action is required on my part other than to keep the brake level applied and think my way out of the situation and continue to react. Without ABS... its juts a super-pucker moment that has all the ingredients for a complete disaster.

Back