• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Tiger 1050 demo.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Collins
I had the opportunity to demo a Triumph Tiger 1050 on Saturday back to back to back with a Speed Triple 1050 and Sprint ST 1050. I have to say I was impressed.

This motor is killer. Of course I already knew this from previous demos of S3's and ST's. Quite possibly the smoothest running engine I have ever encountered. Beefy bottom end and midrange power with more than enough on top for spirited riding. This engine is equally happy chugging along a gear high or wailing up top. The sound is truly unique and is even better on the S3 with the Arrow 3-1 GP full system.

S3:
The chassis and suspension work very well together. Although the forks and shock were a little soft to me. This could possibly be corrected with some set up time and dialing everything in. At most it would need new springs to accomodate my riding style and weight. Turn in is very intuitive. This bike is easy to finesse...no muscling required. The lack of wind protection is easily forgiven on this machine being as the fun factor is pretty much pegged out by the motor and the handling. The front brake fades a little due to the 14mm master cylinder. Upgrading to the 5/8 master cylinder would likely cure that and give the front brake even better feel and progression.

Sprint ST:
Again, a terrific chassis and suspension combo. I was slightly disappointed by the limited adjustability of the forks, but they seemed pretty spot on for spirited riding if only a little soft. Again, steering is light and responsive with great feedback. This bike lets you know what it's doing. The riding position is a good compromise between an upright standard and an aggressive SS bike. Comfortable enough for all day riding, but with a position that keeps plenty of weight over the front tire and gives plenty of ground clearance at full lean. My only complaint would again be the front brake master cylinder. Brakes are still strong, but they could easily be better. Some might take issue with the heat from the engine and from the underseat exhaust, but I personally found it to be really no worse than you'd get from a V-twin sportbike such as the TL-R, RC51, Mille, etc.

Tiger:
Nice upright riding position with a commanding view of traffic. Seat height is a bit much for people like me that are of shorter stature, but still negotiable. My only complaints are easily remedied with set up. The rear suspension was too busy on rough, choppy pavement. The forks were a little soft on the preload. The rear brake lever was adjusted too low. I almost couldn't reach it because my riding boots only allow my ankle to flex so far forward. Simple adjustments would cure those little issues. The windshield creates an issue for someone of my lack of height as well. It's location in relation to my melon put me right in its turbulent wake. I lifted myself up off the seat to see how it would be if I was a bit taller and found myself in clean still air...right in the pocket. Surely a cureable nuisance via a different screen. The last complaint is that the bars transmit a good bit of vibration above 75mph and it doesn't smooth out until you hit the century mark. Easily remedied with a bar snake or similar product. Same front brake complaint as on all of the Trumpets....again, easily fixed. Overall, this is a great bike.

Some general thoughts on all three bikes:
I don't really care for the ABS. Then again, I've never liked the ABS on any of the bikes I've ridden that were so equipped. It just feels too intrusive to me. If I were buying I'd save money and buy the non-ABS bikes. I don't like the nanny-system feel. Of course, that's just personal preference.
The S3 is almost the perfect bike for everyday commuting for someone that doesn't need/wants luggage and for bombing backroads on weekends as well as the occassional track day.
The Sprint ST and the Tiger are IMO going to be competing for the same customer. The only real edge that the Tiger has is that it might be more manageable on a dirt road....as much so as a V-Strom in my estimation. Riding position and style are going to be the biggest deciding factors between these two for potential buyers. The beauty of it is that the buyer can't choose poorly between these two. The hard bags are very nicely integrated with the ST and I imagine will be with the Tiger also.
Our very own Bung has the Triumph accessory heated grips on his ST which are beautifully integrated and seem as if they are a factory installed unit. They warm more evenly than any other heated grip I've encountered. The same kit also is available for the Tiger.

I gotta get me a TWT t-shirt. I was also at Eurosport with a couple of fellow riders.

I test rode a Ducati ST3. I gotta say "impressive" That 90 degree V-twin is sweet! Added it to my list of possible future bike purchases.

Didn't get a ride on the new Tiger, but did get a chance to take a perch on one. If you're 5-10 and under (5-9 here), you'll be on your toes on this one. Though I felt like it wouldn't be too hard to manage. It fit my long-legged friend just right, he said it was about the same height as his R12GS

I took a seat on the H-D 1200 Sportster sitting for sale on the Euro lot. I could see adding this to my herd. Stock dual front disc brakes, piggyback reservoir shocks, narrow handlebar. With just few more mods it might make a nice cafe-racer style ride :rider: .

I thought about catching a ride on the '07 ST. This is on my list for future ownership. I've sat on one and it seems to take a riding position more like my '03. The 05-06 seemed to have more of a reach to the grips.

Almost got flattened by a dually on the way home. Where 80 East narrows to one lane and turns to I20. Seems he didn't like me being (well) ahead of him as I was moving over from the diminishing right lane. So he floored it and slipped inside. I'm no dummy. 750lbs of rider/bike vs. 7500lbs of dually/driver? Noooo contest! I moved on over. Then he exits out to get the outlet mall just a litte ways up on I20, guess there was a big sale goin' on :argh:

Just another exciting day of riding :lol2:

Thanks for the post. When I had my 01 Tiger, I really wanted Scott bluedogok to try my Tiger to compare to his Sprint. Given his tall stature, it seemed he'd be much happier on the Tiger.

The height of the Tiger (the latest model is a little lower) did take getting used to. I'm 5'10" with not quite a 32" inseam. But after some time, it became quite normal. I'm a real fan of the Triumph triple, and have yet to get on a 1050. My opinion was the 955i was overkill, but I understand the consumers lust for power, and Triumph's need for standardization.

Scott has yet to ride one. I'm still interested in his opinion of the new Tiger, given the amount of saddle time he has on the Sprint.

Your observations were well explained, and could easily be in a bike magazine. Thanks again.

whoa said:
Thanks for the post. When I had my 01 Tiger, I really wanted Scott bluedogok to try my Tiger to compare to his Sprint. Given his tall stature, it seemed he'd be much happier on the Tiger.

The height of the Tiger (the latest model is a little lower) did take getting used to. I'm 5'10" with not quite a 32" inseam. But after some time, it became quite normal. I'm a real fan of the Triumph triple, and have yet to get on a 1050. My opinion was the 955i was overkill, but I understand the consumers lust for power, and Triumph's need for standardization.

Scott has yet to ride one. I'm still interested in his opinion of the new Tiger, given the amount of saddle time he has on the Sprint.

Your observations were well explained, and could easily be in a bike magazine. Thanks again.

Having ridden the S3 955i and S3 1050 back to back, I have to say that the biggest improvement isn't in terms of greater power, but in terms of even smoother delivery and vastly improved fuel injection. I've become a believer in the goodness of the Brit triple.

Back