• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Curse of the "Three Sisters" (long)

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Well, I've been bitten again by the Three Sisters. This is my second and my wifes forth time to not complete the ride without a mishap. The first try, my wife (out scouting in her car with a friend) had dual blow-outs and had to be rescued. The second time ended in a Uvalde hospital room encouraging our friends after they trashed a brand new Vulcan 1500. Third trip, the wife dumped her FJR in a creek, but was able to finish the trip (I wasn't there). Now it was my turn. The wife and I left Saturday morning and stayed in San Antonio Sat. night, to leave and ride the Three Sisters on Sunday. If you don't know the Three Sisters it's 337 to 335 to 336, via some interconnecting routes. Sunday comes and it's storming. We put on our rain gear and head out. Two hours later we're getting gas at 'Old Timers' market in Medina, at the beginning of 337. Well, I made it down about a mile on 337 before I noticed my back tire is completely flat. We stop and check it out. I send my wife back into town to get a tire plug or fix-a-flat (just to make it out of there). All they have is one can of fix-a-flat which doesn't hold and fix-a-flat goo is oozing out like milk. The puncture looks like I ran over a spike and it had to have happened within 200 ft either way of the gas station. I ride the bike back (on the flat) back to the station and park it. Now, the wife and I ride back home two-up on the FJR 350 miles in driving rain. Today, I borrow a trailer hook it to the Honda Element, and do 650 miles round trip to bring my bike home. I'm fairly convinced I will never see 335 or 336 in my lifetime. I'm not mad or frustrated, just laughing about the whole thing. BTW, this is the beginning of my weeks vacation that I was supposed to disappear on my bike somewhere. However, on a side note, I have a good review on the FJR two-up with real size adults. It's really good and hauls butt. And the Honda Element towed the trailer excellent. It was my first time to tow with the Element, I got 24.5 mpg the first part of I-10 coming out of Houston. Got about 19.8 mpg in the hill country. That's at 75 mph! Suprising how well an SUV with a 2.4 L I-4 can pull a 500 pound trailer and 500 pound bike thru the hill country. Anyhow, that's my last few days. I'll get my tire changed tomorrow and continue my ride... somewhere else. I'm thinking of stageing a car and trailer somewhere near there for the next attempt.

Whew. I really thought it was going to end a little differently than it did for ya. It sounds like quite the adventure - and in repeated fashion!

Think of it this way - although it was a huge disappointment, think of the memories you've gotten out of it!

If you get to ride it and finish it w/o any mishaps, you'll love it. My wife and I rode them back in May of 06 and are looking forward to riding them again soon.

Squeaky said:
Whew. I really thought it was going to end a little differently than it did for ya. It sounds like quite the adventure - and in repeated fashion!

Think of it this way - although it was a huge disappointment, think of the memories you've gotten out of it!

Thanks for the concern Squeaky. I WILL conquer it some day. The good news is I've found a few more routes getting in and out of the hill country over the last couple o' days so my next visit will be more enjoyable. :mrgreen:

how does that saying go? something about doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results?

Just kidding - don't let the "Sisters" get you down.

One day, glasshopper, you too will be able to stop at the Motorcycle Stop in Leakey, and buy one of those shirts that says "I rode the three twisted sisters".

Yah, anytime I hear about a "story" from the sisters, I hold my breath. I promise my next trip down there is to enjoy the view.

"Sunday comes and it's storming. We put on our rain gear and head out. "
You sir, are a true enthusiast. When are you going again?

whoa said:
Yah, anytime I hear about a "story" from the sisters, I hold my breath. I promise my next trip down there is to enjoy the view.

+1

The tightest sections on 337 are the ones that tend to be the most scenic. I err on the "scenic" side. Any behind me are free to pass!

Try to look on the bright side: your overall trend is improving - you're down to a single flat now, so next time you'll probably just run out of gas somewhere. :thumb:

Scenery! What scenery?:lol2:

I'm sure the next trip out there will be a success. You're due.

Or you could always just head up to Arkansas!:trust: :rider:

rgatling said:
+1

The tightest sections on 337 are the ones that tend to be the most scenic. I err on the "scenic" side. Any behind me are free to pass!

Well have you seen the cave's on the cliff on the 1st part of 337 after the lookout

I haven't seen the caves off of 337, but I have seen the one off of 335, a couple miles north of Barksdale.

Stuart sets his Fazer to "stun" on 337! I ride sweep :mrgreen:

Having fought the flat monster on our last leg back to Dallas last week, I can sympathize. Thank goodness we weren't battling rain, too.

I hope to take on the sisters sometime in June.

my boss rolled (yes rolled!) his harley on 187 halfway between 337 and 470

a novice in the group over cooked one of the more interesting corners on 337 and hit the rock wall head on. (he was fine, the bike was not) (we warned him not to try to keep up with the fast group :nono: )

we (the gs resources) do the sisters and their cousins twice a year, and other than clipping a deer last fall I have never had a single problem. knock on wood! :headbang:

whoa said:

"Sunday comes and it's storming. We put on our rain gear and head out. "
You sir, are a true enthusiast. When are you going again?

Some day warm and dry... and when work will allow.

FJRMike said:
how does that saying go? something about doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results?

Just kidding - don't let the "Sisters" get you down.

One day, glasshopper, you too will be able to stop at the Motorcycle Stop in Leakey, and buy one of those shirts that says "I rode the three twisted sisters".

Yeah, definition of insanity from my buddy Al. :rofl: My favorite quote from him is in my avatar.. and on my brake reservoir. My second fav is listed below, this one's my third. :mrgreen: Speaking of insanity, you realize I ride a Z1000 and do about 330 miles just to get there right? :rider:

budzrex said:
Caves, Scenery, when did they put that stuff out there?????

I personally don't know... I heard about the cave's after a dude on a cruiser crashed and died looking at the cliffs to find them ... Thats what Frio Store ppl's told me.... Only scenery i know of is the fence with the glass bottles on top on 335 ..:eek2:

budzrex said:
Caves, Scenery, when did they put that stuff out there?????
If you stay at the back with me you might have a chance at a glimpse of them.
When you are leading, I can understand why you don't see them :rider:

We are going to do another ride out there sometime in April/May.

We'll be riding out there for CheapSTOC May 4-5-6...

Back