• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin, Lowrance, XM NexRad, do I have this right?

Mark G

Reaction score
Hi, folks, been off this forum for awhile. In fact, the last time I was active I was asking about GPS and took lots of guff for being so indecisive. But now I have a BMW, and in the manual it says the dealer will come take the bike back if you don't put GPS and radar detector and XM radio and other stuff on it. Think I'm kidding? Look at ANY BMW.

Anyway, I've got some information to share, and a lot of questions.

I used to be perfectly satisfied with paper maps and looking at clouds to figure out where and what. But I finally got tired of thinking "jeez, is she looking at the map upside down?" the last time SWMBO said "left" when it HAD to be "right," and then the next thing I knew I was in dire need of weather radar, too!

So after reading zillions of posts and visiting drillions of websites I gave up and called Garmin, Lowrance, and XM today. I got to speak to THREE XM "representatives," and this is what the consensus is:

You want nexrad, you get the Aviation LT package, for $29 a month. You haggle with them about the $75 activation fee, and maybe you'll avoid it. Use the radar for your big trip to Tornado Alley Mobile Home National Park, then call 'em up and have it turned off...once a year, no charge to re-up. But if you want to use it three times in one year, several months apart, they threaten you with $75 reactivation fee for the third or more times. Haggle with a supervisor and MAYBE (probably) at least get the second fee waived. Because you've been such a good customer, and all.

The Lowrance iWay 500c (or the fancier 600 just now hitting the shelves) is the one I want, with the big screen the exact shape of Iowa, only smaller. Than Iowa. BUT: you can't plan trips with lots of turns and twists on your PC in the motel the night before; you have to do it on the machine itself. Not good. Can't see a big map. No Nexrad radar, either.
Too bad, if this is correct.

The Garmin 376c comes with the XM antenna, but no PC software, which is apparently about $150 extry. You get the radar capability. The screen is not touchy, and is much smaller than the Lowrance.

The Garmin 378c does NOT have the XM antenna, but DOES have City Navigator PC software. AND apparently if you use the software, the unit will recalculate your route, ie it isn't perfectly compatible with the software, maybe due to the lakes maps...my new friend at Garmin wasn't sure.

Zumo-shmumo. No nexrad.

So, it seems that, if I want radar and pc planning capability, I'm pitched up on the 376c shore. Bummer. I REALLY like the size of the iWay500c...less squinting.

So, am I right about all this, especially my conclusions? Am I making too much of the "plan the route on the PC" issue? [typical trip for me'n SWMBO is f'rinstance go to the Gatlinburg area for four days in a motel, do 250-350 mile day rides from the base motel, then move on for another 3-4 days in another town, and do similar day rides from there...creating LOTS of "upside down map?" moments.]

And the radar? It's never going to rain again in Texas, so I don't need it around here (and for that matter, I have weather radar on the tiny screen of my Blackberry Pearl, but I have to stop and peer at it). What's your opinion, you users of it?

Regarding XM radio or mp3 capability, I've already got those things, and have never trusted multifunction electric deals, anyway.

I prolly should have bulleted my questions....

TIA.

Ok, from what I know...

I started out with no GPS software and planned routed in the hand-held receiver (Quest). I got used to it, but it took a while and wasn't quite as capable of giving you the "big picture" while you were adding via points.

Since getting the $100 software (shop around, you'll find a deal somewhere) I have never planned another route in the unit and don't plan to. That's not to say I don't use the auto-navigate option (take me to HERE) but I only use that for A-to-B drives/rides.

You might think that the huge screen size is a plus, but it can also be an unnecessary distraction while you're toodling down the road. I have mine positioned so that I barely have to glance down and it's even with my line of sight to my bike's ODO/Speedo. Anything bigger might get in the way or grab my attention when I should have my eyes on the road.

I don't know anyone that has the NexRad, but if you already have the same (or similar) information available on another devide I'd say skip it. Checking the weather radar should be something that you check before your ride or on a lunch/long break IMHO, not something that you do on the fly.

FWIW. I love my 376c. Buy the auto kit and it comes with the most current CityNav (garmin software). When a route is in use the screen auto zooms on turns and waypoints or via points. Squinting should not be an issue, and it is also milspec water resistant. It is afterall a marine grade GPS.

One unit gives me XM/GPS Turn by turn and a bonus (novelty but will keep it) weather. Which means less wires to run and only mount it in one place.

I don't want a touch screen, neat yes, but dust & fingers will evently degrade surface.

Just my .02c YMMV.

99422333-M.jpg

P.S. Laugh all you want at my home made puck mount. It has held up for 13,000 miles. I swear it was just going to be a temp until I got my Touratech locking GPS mount in. I have not yet gotten around to ordering it yet though.

Last edited:
R1200GSA said:
FWIW. I love my 376c. Buy the auto kit and it comes with the most current CityNav (garmin software). When a route is in use the screen auto zooms on turns and waypoints or via points. Squinting should not be an issue, and it is also milspec water resistant. It is afterall a marine grade GPS.

One unit gives me XM/GPS Turn by turn and a bonus (novelty but will keep it) weather. Which means less wires to run and only mount it in one place.

I don't want a touch screen, neat yes, but dust & fingers will evently degrade surface.

Just my .02c YMMV.

99422333-M.jpg

P.S. Laugh all you want at my home made puck mount. It has held up for 13,000 miles. I swear it was just going to be a temp until I got my Touratech locking GPS mount in. I have not yet gotten around to ordering it yet though.

Thanks, Duke, and you too, Squeaky. That Going to the Sun is one pretty road, innit? Course, a real man, like, oh, me, for instance, did it on a bicycle. No need for GPS then.

I'm all for home made mounts. I made my own Roady mount out of a piece of Lexan. VERY bad form for a BMW...only cost three bucks.

The 378 uses a combined version of City Navigator and Inland Lakes data base. So you can't do routing on your PC. You can get the 478 though which is the same unit but with the standard version of City Navigator. It's the same price as the 378 and you can do PC routing on it no problem.

R1200GSA said:

Just my .02c YMMV.

99422333-M.jpg

You do know you don't have your antenna positioned correctly?

Wait. Is nexrad available over XM antenna? I thought Zumo had that.

Radar would be cool, but XM weather channel should suffice for me.

Eulogite said:
Wait. Is nexrad available over XM antenna? I thought Zumo had that.

Radar would be cool, but XM weather channel should suffice for me.

No, Nexrad's a separate deal, Zumo doesn't have it.

sherob said:
You just can't beat this price on a Zumo 550 though... 674.99 shipped :eek2:

https://www.certifieddigital.com/shopping/ProductDetails.asp?Sku=GARM-ZUMO550

I had to get one at that price :rider:

With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.

Make Hands-Free Calls and Receive Wireless Voice Prompts

With zūmo’s Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can talk on the phone safely without removing your gloves or helmet. Connect zūmo to your Bluetooth-enabled headset/helmet and cell phone to make and receive hands-free calls. You can even make phone calls to POIs through zūmo’s Bluetooth interface. In addition, zūmo transmits navigation voice prompts to your headset so you can listen wirelessly.

This is a verying intersting unit. Did not know it was out there..... Still leary of a touch screen on a bike, but I might be convinced otherwise:giveup:

R1200GSA said:
Hmmm... no I didn't. what benefit would I see if its positioned differently?

According to Garmi,n it should be positioned horizontally. You should get better reception. Not that big of a deal untill you get in areas where the satellites start getting blocked.

R1200GSA said:
This is a verying intersting unit. Did not know it was out there..... Still leary of a touch screen on a bike, but I might be convinced otherwise:giveup:

Touch screen works fine on a bike. Probably the thing I dislike the most about my 478 is the lack of a touch screen.

R1200GSA said:

Does NOT have radar, only weather reports.

Back