• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston HOV Question

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
There are a couple of riders from Florida that will be partaking of the late April ride in Junction. They will probably be slabbing on I10, including thru Houston. They want to know if it is OK to use the HOV lane, i.e. 1-up. I know that the DFW area allows MC riders but didn't want to speak for Houston without checking with the locals.

I assume that the HOV lanes are open, depending on time-of-day, in one direction only. Any other tips/caveats that Houston riders can pass on to make a safe passage thru Houston. I have no idea what time of day they will be passing thru but it will probably be a normal weekday, Thursday or Friday.

Thanks!

Yes, a motorcycle can occupy the HOV lane any time that it's open with just 1 rider.

Most of it is walled-in and only runs one direction at a time, but there are areas west of the city that also run in both directions - these are the parts that DO NOT have a barrier wall, so proceed with caution! Even though the double white line is there and signs are up warning not to get in or out of the HOV without clearly-marked entrances and exits, but most people don't think those rules apply to them.

Squeaky said:
Yes, a motorcycle can occupy the HOV lane any time that it's open with just 1 rider.

Most of it is walled-in and only runs one direction at a time, but there are areas west of the city that also run in both directions - these are the parts that DO NOT have a barrier wall, so proceed with caution! Even though the double white line is there and signs are up warning not to get in or out of the HOV without clearly-marked entrances and exits, but most people don't think those rules apply to them.

Lest you misunderstand. There is a barrier between east bound and west bound lanes but the HOV lanes are not protected from the main lanes going in the same direction.

-

No trailers allowed.
I would expect this extends to motorcycles, but am not the definitive word on it.

Info about all the Houston HOV lanes available at ridemetro.org

Thanks, Houstonites. I passed the link to this thread to one of the guys in Florida.

Thanks for all the great info & advise about the HOV lanes in Huston.
We will procede w/ relief & caution. Looking forward to meeting those going to the TX ADV Ride, in downtown Junction.
Gilk51, thanks for starting the fires of knowledge.

Just for the record, this is actually a federal law. Motorcycles are allowed on HOV lanes (1 up) across the US.

Challen said:
Just for the record, this is actually a federal law. Motorcycles are allowed on HOV lanes (1 up) across the US.

If the state uses Federal funds for the freeway, they must comply with the above. ;-)

For all of you AMA nay-sayers, you can thank them for motorcycles being able to us HOV lanes through out the country. It was through the AMA lobbying efforts that got motorcycles the HOV classification.:clap:

Challen said:
I knew it was State law, but I didn't realize it was a Federal thing.

My my - how far from the Constitution will we wander? The feds mandating bikes be classified as HOVs? A pox on the feds (not for this - for the never ending creeping excesses of heavy handed regulation).

Since they will probably be using the I-10 West one count on Morning in, Afternoon out. Be careful at the I-10 /610 (just past where you get on headed west) They like to change it around for construction and there is merging traffic and some steel plates and holes in the pavement Oh My! It's not bad, just a little sketchy till you get used to it

not to thread jack but did the lane sharing bill ever pass?
I saw a few threads on it but no conclusive info

poser said:
not to thread jack but did the lane sharing bill ever pass?
I saw a few threads on it but no conclusive info
Not that I'm aware of. Last I saw it didn't even make it to the floor.

YETTI, thanks for the Huston/610 advisory.
Our plan is timing, we'll eat supper east of the Big H.
Enter the west flow on I-10 around 8 or 9 pm.
Then sleep west of the city's limit.
Will certainly keep an eye out for the metal plates of road way at the connection. thanks again,Yetti
I would like to land in Junction early enough to get in one of the short rides before the riders meeting in the early evening.
later

Back