• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] Group Ride Aug 7th

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
You didn't misread it - this is not a Scott Friday ride report. He wants us to try doing them sometimes so he doesn't have to do it every time. I just feel bad about eating his powdered donuts so here's my best effort.

I will preface this ride report by saying I really don't have a clue about the route or road numbers, nor did I get everyone's name or any pictures. I am simply telling my recollection of the day. Bug Scott - he knows what roads we were on.

The morning started out with the thought of "is it really this cool out today?" I had ridden up to Huntsville the night before and it was much cooler and drier than normal. With the mesh jacket and a tshirt, it was almost chilly. Yeah, in August in Houston! :shock:

Saturday morning was, indeed, looking like a wonderful ride day. Breakfast at the IHOP and gas it up, then head back to the house to meet all the new faces that had accumulated while we were away from the scene. Lots of new faces and new bikes for all the guys to drool over. Scott's lost pressure in his front tire overnight, Paul's bike has a small puddle of oil underneath it, but we manage to get it all together and get on the road without any major hangups.

We're 21 riders on 20 bikes and riding as one large group today. We head out through the maze that makes up the neighborhood, and get through the first major traffic light. Well, not all of us. We gathered back up after the light and were rolling.

The usual 'I want to ride second' :twisted: game may or may not have been happenning on this ride, but I was riding sweep and only saw Scott's silver noggin at the three or four turns we made. I really enjoy riding sweep a lot of the time - I don't have to worry about sending a signal back, I can give a little more space and not worry about staggered lane position, and I have no worries about the guy behind me wanting to go faster.

We stopped along the way at the small cafe that we would be having lunch at later - it was on the way and Scott wanted to give them a warning as to our arrival later in the day. It was probably a well-timed water and stretch break too, although Scott tends to do without those unless it's reaaaaly hot because they take too long. Hehe, we got this one by default.

Ran a few more amazing roads and then headed back to the cafe for lunch. Despite how much the waitress must have been overwhelmed, she was very efficient and was great. We all got to relax and digest as we waited for everyone to fuel up at the one pump. There was a deck and a few chairs outside, it still wasnt too hot as to be unbearable, and the new and old faces were mingling and getting-to-know quite well. I will say it yet again - the socialization that comes along with riding is a large part of why I started this addiction. Thanks to all of you for making my weekends drown out the misery of the work week! :chug:

I got myself closer to the middle of the pack after lunch and worked on my smooth-rolling, look-through-the-whole-thing turns. The roads were great for the practice, and I could run them every day and never get bored. HINT - Scott - We need to run this route again! Most of us could have done without the construction, though. Scott says it was a surprise, but many of us think that Scott just wanted to show off his GS's abilities in the gravel :mrgreen: . I guess we'll never know the truth. As if the rocks and sand under the tires and the feeling of your bike going down every other second wasn't bad enough, it was so dry it threw dust everywhere - I don't think I was the only one that started shutting all the vents on their helmet.

More fun sweepers and twists through some of the most scenic Texas roads I've seen so far, and we get back to another gas station at I45. We're not filling up here, but many of the riders are going to break off for home rather than going back to the house first. There are eight of us left, and we run some fun roads back through to Huntsville. A few people stick around to relax a bit after the ride, then everyone else besides me Paul and Debbie head out. We decide to wait a little while then head to dinner - Jose's Mexican Restaurant. Yummy. I have to stop ordering so much food though...

Thanks again to Scott and Beth for your hospitality, a great route, and a fun card game (despite the antics and jokes :nana: ). I can't wait for the next one! :dude:

Surely someone was taking pics? :shrug:

I don't mind sharing the powdered donuts :mrgreen:

Man a little gravel and hard packed dirt and everyone starts whining :roll: Where's the sense of adventure?! :lol: :-P Too bad they won't just black top that road!! That would easily make it one of the top riding roads in the state!

Thanks for the writeup ;-)

Adios,

sat ride

I don't think scott new about the contruction! It would have been a great road! We had fun till lunch but Rita felt sick... The fact is we got a new puppy and I think she felt guilty about leaving it home.
Steve & Rita

Yeah Steve, I was wondering what happened to you guys. Sorry you had to bail, you missed one of the best roads of the entire route! FM 977 runs east/west between FM 3 and FM 1119. It's better when it is not so hot. The heat makes the tar seep up through the pavement. Those patches can get a little slick :eek: Hope Rita is feeling better ;-)

Adios,

Great ride guys, Thanks for letting me and my buddies tag along. Nice roads and blessed with nice weather.
I had no Idea where we were at....I would have needed a bakerytruck full of breadcrumbs to find my way back from some of those roads. In fact, I hadn't realized how far north we were until we hit 45S on the way home. Next time I'll definitely spend the extra hour and take the backroad return to Huntsville.....I45 was terrible.
Oh, and Scott next time let me know If I need to purchase some knobbies for the RC before the ride.
Thanks again-

P.S...I got a couple of pics before I ran out of memory at the Cafe where we gassed up, I'll post 'em this evening.

I took a few pics. Nowhere to host them though, so if you want them, I can email them to you. I forgot to get one of the tigers so we will have to hit those roads again.

Also I was amazed that not a single VFR or FZ1 was present. What happened?! :eek:

Man, I hate that I missed the ride. I would like a turn by turn and roads ridden list though if anyone doesnt mind. I will have to take the make up ride instead. hehe Sounds like it was a good time.
Bagwell

...maybe we can schedule a make-up ride for those that missed it and those that want a repeat!

Tourmeister: We appreciate you & Beth welcoming everyone to your home. Thanks for leading another great ride esp. since your bike wasn't 100% .... now that's dedication. ;-) Now I could have done w/o the construction but I've been on a lot worse w/ you.

Squeaky: Nice job w/ the trip report. I don't know how Scott remembers all the roads but I guess that's what his GPS is for.

pdef: I would like to see your pics if you can e-mail them to me. Hope to see Tracy on the next ride.

I will try to post some pics soon. It was nice riding w/ everyone and meeting new members. I'm always up for a group ride so Squeaky let me know if you're planning a make-up ride. :-D

I'll let you guys know when/if we try to do a make-up ride. I was thinking of heading back up that way this coming Sunday, but I'm not sure yet.

Here are pdef's pics:

Pic 1 / Pic 2 / Pic 3 / Pic 4

[I changed the format of the links, but the actual links still don't work ;-) TM]

Good looking Cruiser!!

The ride was the best thing I've experienced on my crusier to date. (Only had it about 3 months).

That sure is a good looking crusier in the pictures!!!

I'm sure we will ride together again sometime. I'll just be riding slower than the rest of you.

Thanks again, Scott. :chug:

I'll just be riding slower than the rest of you.

That's perfectly fine ;-) Next time we'll definitely make it more of a newbie ride too hehe.

Adios,

Re: Good looking Cruiser!!

bbuell said:
I'm sure we will ride together again sometime. I'll just be riding slower than the rest of you.

Hey it was fun having you along on Saturday. I especially liked not being the slowest rider out there :roll: for a change :oops:

I am planning on a slower ride soon with some of the guys from work who just went through the MSF (one on a cruiser and one on a 250 Ninja). I will let you know (probably post it here) or I can PM you if you send me your email address.

Let me know if you are riding around Kingwood and I will join you.

Back