• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire recycling centers in the Austin area?

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
I have accumulated quite a pile of motorcycle tires and need a place to off-load them. No, I don't have the $$ to pay $2/tire to take them to Discount Tire... Anyone know of a tire recycling center in the Austin area? I've Googled it, and haven't found anything obvious, but surely Austin, of all places, has to have one of these places somewhere nearby. Any other suggestions?

I suggest the entryway to Woods in the wee hours of the morning. :rider:

Georgetown has a collection center that takes up to a cubic yard per month from utility customers. I've taken tires, appliances, carpet and more. Maybe yours has something similar.

txmedic said:
I suggest the entryway to Woods in the wee hours of the morning. :rider:
:rofl: Kurt, you crack me up. :rofl:
That EMS training has made you sneaky and conniving. I like that. :trust:

You could always stack them, tie them together and use them as flower pots around the patio. It Couldn't be any worse than my wife"s genuine NASCAR tire in the living room.

txmedic said:
Georgetown has a collection center that takes up to a cubic yard per month from utility customers. I've taken tires, appliances, carpet and more. Maybe yours has something similar.
I need to look into that. When I lived in Austin they had a semi-annual pickup for such items, but to my knowledge Leander doesn't do that. Maybe the next time Austin does that I'll go drop them in some hippie's front yard :-P

Harris County and City of Houston have set up recycling centers and have one-day collection events too for HHW including automotive waste (batteries, oil, antifreeze, tires).
You mean go-green, tree hugging City of Austin/Travis/Williamson County doesn't have something like that? Bump around their websites or do a search. Something should bubble up.

Dave

Austin does have a similar program, plus they will pick some up on "big junk week" from your curb at no additional charge. Gotdurt lives in one of the northern burbs so I am not sure what they offer.

dukey33 said:
Harris County and City of Houston have set up recycling centers and have one-day collection events too for HHW including automotive waste (batteries, oil, antifreeze, tires).
You mean go-green, tree hugging City of Austin/Travis/Williamson County doesn't have something like that? Bump around their websites or do a search. Something should bubble up.

Dave
I've contacted these org's:
http://www.recycletx.com/businesspages/weisenbach.htm
http://www.ecology-action.org/what.html
...and even they didn't know of anything, other than taking them to a tire store. I think there's a state mandated fee of $2 each for the stores though.

gotdurt said:
I think there's a state mandated fee of $2 each for the stores though.
Maybe automobile tires.

After our last tech day, I had two old MC tires plus 3 of Bill's (DFW Warrior) old ones. I called the Discount Tire near us and when I asked "how much?", he said to just drop them in the back & hoped to do business with me in the future. :thumb:

Of course, I have bought auto tires from them for years...

So, you might just call around and see what folks will take...

I use a sawsall on mine, make one cut in them, slip them around my trees, and then fill them with mulch, and compost, helps hold the moisture in when it rains, and I get rid of the tires, out here in the country, we use them in the erosion ditches to keep topsoil from being washed away. Construction outfits use them bolted onto equipment for bumpers, are there any marinas using them as dock bumpers?

You guys - the tire recycling fee is charged when you buy the tire. You can drop the old ones off almost anywhere that sells tires.

Yea, I know that if you bought them on the internet you don't always pay the fee. But the tire guys don't care. I dropped my last one off at a Pep Boys.

Back