• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking about a new seat for my Strom

d2mini

Reaction score
Any suggestions?
The Strom forums seem to focus mainly on Corbin and Sargent.
I had a Corbin on my Bonneville at one time and didn't think it was really any better than the stock seat comfort. So I was thinking of getting the world sport seat from Sargent this time around. My passenger complains about the stock seat even more than me so that's just as important if not more. Right now we both start hurtin by about 50 miles and that's with Alaska Sheepskins. :giveup:

Any Houston Strom owners with an aftermarket seat that might let me borrow it for a test ride? :trust:

For about the same money, you can get a Russell or Rick Mayer saddle custom made. The down side is you'd have to borrow a seat to use in the mean time or purchase a used one to have converted.

I just got my seat back from Rick Mayer and I am very pleased with it.
I paid up front then shipped my seat in a week before the build date. The new seat was sent back to me about 2 weeks later. I tried to find a used seat to send in but could not find one for a reasonable cost.
I will continue to look for used one for the day if or when I decide to sell and sell the Rick Mayer to recoop some of the cost.
Check his website, he has seat pans for several different bikes the he will build your seat on one then you send in your seat or pay the core charge.

I will 2nd that on the Rick Mayer seat,,,, I can ride a LOT longer now......
reformed Corbin person,
Mike

I transfered my AirHawk cushion from my FZ to my Wee and it works great. Lots less expensive than a custom seat too.

Everyone is different. I couldn't see paying that much money until I could try it out myself. Ended up paying a local upholstery shop $30 to sculpt my saddle and add some good memory foam. I did several 400+ mile days last week and my cheap fix seems to work for me. :shrug:

bushwhacker said:
www.roberticustoms.com

Good work and reasonable prices!

His website looks like he specializes in really cool custom leather coverings.
Where as Rick Mayer seems to furnish almost 50% of iron butt rider's seats, specializing in long haul comfort. I've looked at roberticustoms before but he seems to cater more to the chopper crowd than the touring crowd. Thoughts?

I want to be able to run through a tank of gas (200+ miles) without even thinking about my seat. Is that even possible?

That's what is on his web site because that is where the most money is.

I bought a used Corbin for my Multistrada and it was higher and wider than stock.

I took it up to him and he peeled the cover back shaved, narrowed and reshaped the seat and put the cover back for under $100.

I have a buddy who has a couple of Harley dressers. He took his seats up there and had them reshaped and high density foam added, again with the same cover. He raves about the long distance comfort and although I did not ask him the price, he stated, without prompt, that the cost was very reasonable.

Can't hurt to talk to him.

Send him an email and he will send you his phone number. He actually works out of his garage at his home.

d2mini said:
I want to be able to run through a tank of gas (200+ miles) without even thinking about my seat. Is that even possible?

Depends on how fast you are traveling. My boney but can not stand more than about 3 hours in the saddle between stops, so If I am going at freeway speeds I can come close to 200 miles but on back roads I am looking for a stop somewhere between 100-150 miles.

-

bushwhacker said:
Depends on how fast you are traveling. My boney but can not stand more than about 3 hours in the saddle between stops, so If I am going at freeway speeds I can come close to 200 miles but on back roads I am looking for a stop somewhere between 100-150 miles.

-

Ya, right now I'm looking for a stop at about 50-75 miles and my wife even sooner!

Thanks for the info. My only problem is I don't know what needs to be done. I need someone who can look at me and talk to me and knows what needs to be done. So if he can do that, it's probably worth a shot.

d2mini said:
Ya, right now I'm looking for a stop at about 50-75 miles and my wife even sooner!

Thanks for the info. My only problem is I don't know what needs to be done. I need someone who can look at me and talk to me and knows what needs to be done. So if he can do that, it's probably worth a shot.

I know what you mean. I am talking custom seats here. The stock seat on my TBS (and most stock seats in my opinion) was agony after about 50 miles. I put a Corbin on. Corbins are hard (very high density foam) but I find they provide better long distance support. I can ride the TBS for several hours with the Corbin.

I bought a Corbin from their website. The seat is great, i just rode about 600 miles and was good for 2-2.5 hours at a stretch compared with .5-1 hour on the stocker. Shop around though, there is another web site with a $50 discount if you are happy with the stock all-black seat (sport-tour.com???).

Back