• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why Don't Harley Dealers Deal?

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
These guys have MSRP and that is it! Forget about getting anything near the value of your bike. Whats up with that? Why would I want to buy a bike from them. Looking at farkle market and there is nothing for less than $100 dollars. You would think they would be more willing to neogotiate. Figure they can sell without needing to come down off the price any? Sucker born every minute?
Can anyone explain the logic, are their bikes that popular they don't need to negotiate?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Right now I'd imagine all prices have gotten a little inflexible. It's called "Spring - the start of the riding season".

I bought in Feb, and the were much more negotiable. In December they were begging for deals. Best time to buy is November to Feb, 'cause no one else is buying. Well, except for the Christmas burst.

If you get outside of the metro area's you might find a good deal... the friends of mine who bought a new HD actually went to Louisiana to get theirs ;-) They found nobody willing to deal in town... some were better in the sticks... even better out of state :trust:

MSRP is a reduction over a few years ago. The Harley Dealers in Houston were adding an extra charge to MSRP just for the priviledge of owning a Harley.

They would also add about 2-5 k work of farkles to the bike before they put it on the floor and you had to pay MSRP + the added premium + retail for all the added farkles.

I walked into Mancuso's several years ago and they had a Heritage Softail Springer on the floor with probably 5k of farkles. I asked the price and the salesman looked at me with a straight face and said $29,900. The MSRP at the time was right around 17k. I do not know what it is today.

-

DaveC said:
Can anyone explain the logic, are their bikes that popular they don't need to negotiate?

Q: Why don't Harley dealers deal?
A: They don't have to.

Most HD dealers won't go below MSRP and they still sell more streetbikes than anyone else. Last time I checked, nearly half (or was it 1/3) of the streetbikes sold in the US were Harleys. There is no incentive for them to make deals when they sell every bike they manufacture and have the biggest chunk of market share in the country.

Last edited:
They don't deal because they don't have to. A coworker of mine just paid ~$20,000 for some big twin and is now trying to sell her sportster for $10,000. I just smile and nod.

While fishing at the homestead in Anderson on Sunday, well over 100 motorcycles passed by in the time it took to drink 6 coronas and catch 1 little perch. I think maybe half a dozen weren't open pipe cruisers. I would imagine most of those were Harleys as they are the top cruiser seller.

Harley-Davidson does seem to want to diversify their product line. I think this is a move to attract a younger audience. I think they see that their customer base is older and the other manufacturers have done a better job selling to the younger audience. This happened to Buick/Cadillac/Olds. Cadillac saw this and expanded their products to lure a younger audience. Now Cadillac is doing well and Buick and Olds are dead and dying.

If they can lower their prices as well as expand their product I can see them doing well, but if all they can offer is the V-rod, and they keep their prices high and dealerships stay hesitant to deal, I don't see a good future for HD. In thirty years when their main target is well aged and the majority of mid-life crisis buyers were raised in an age where a 160hp GSXR is the image of a young hoodlum, a hayabusa may be a better fashion accessory for grey hair.

because people with money walk into the HD dealership and say "I just saw the movie called Wild Hogs - make me one with the universe - oh, and add $5k of chrome before I pick it up."

Well I have been eyeing the Buell Uly since the Honda Hoot. I couldn't believe that the CTHD was trying to sell a left over '06, no bags or top case for 10,945 (MSRP) with 600 miles on it!!!!
I looked at him with I am sure a surprised look and said "I don't think so ! Used, last years model, retail? Sorry I can get a fully decked out unit for 9,995, on the net fly up to ride it back and still come out 2K ahead! Pass." Apparently they think more of them than I do :lol2:

yea you think harley is bad try a bmw dealer.i tried to buy a k1200s they wouldnt budge on the price.the guy came back with less options on it to lower the price...hehe oh well so sad no deal.though i would pay full price for a bmw before i would for a harley.

I've been to a couple of dealers that are getting MSRP+, the buyers are bidding on bikes that haven't even been delivered to the dealer yet. So why would they want to deal, especially in one of the metro areas. Try a small country location or go out of state and you might find one that will make a deal below MSPR.

It's not just a Harley or BMW thing. Dealers won't come down on price if they know the product will sell at msrp. I wouldn't. Most also have an allocation, and don't want to give up their margin until the bike has been on the floor for a while.

I've experienced it both ways.

Buy low, sell high... Isn't that how it is supposed to work? :scratch:

If they can sell bikes above MSRP, why wouldn't they? Sure, they risk the possibility of alienating a potential future customer. However, that is their risk to take. Besides, it is Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price ;-)

The other brands can be just as unwilling to deal. It just depends on the time of year and the current popularity of the bike you are wanting.

I don't think the "spring spike" in prices is near as bad down here as it is in those states that have actual snow on the ground for many months. They may modulate up to or just above MSRP, but it doesn't seem to be as ridiculous as places like a Minnesota motorcycle dealership that has no snowmobiles to sell in the winter.

Plus, CTHD is part of a big corporate motorcycle dealership group, there are other independents around that aren't part of that group who might deal.

eBay it,

Find a smaller dealer who doesnt have the Harley Corp. staring down thier back about every little thing and doesnt have to pay for premium interstate property taxes.

DaveC said:
These guys have MSRP and that is it! Forget about getting anything near the value of your bike. Whats up with that?

Capitalism.

DaveC said:
Why would I want to buy a bike from them.

If you want a new Harley, you will buy from them.

DaveC said:
Figure they can sell without needing to come down off the price any?

Not really. They figure they can sell after adding 15-20% to the MSRP, PLUS tax, tag, license, shipping, dealer prep, and farkles at full retail plus labor to install. At least, that's the price structure in Fort Worth.

DaveC said:
Sucker born every minute?

There are as many suckers as there are new Harleys sold for 15-20% added to the MSRP, PLUS tax, tag, license, shipping, dealer prep, and farkles at full retail plus labor to install.

DaveC said:

There are as many suckers as there are new Harleys sold for 15-20% added to the MSRP, PLUS tax, tag, license, shipping, dealer prep, and farkles at full retail plus labor to install. No, they don't need to negotiate.

DaveC said:

Now you know.

Today's Harley is not the same garbage AMF sold in the '70s. The new Harleys are much more comfortable and dependable. They handle better, stop better, and run better. Aftermarket support is huge. They fill their market niches well.

Most of the people I know who buy new Harleys fit into one of three categories. The first two categories are the ones who run the prices up.

Many new Harley buyers tend to be the Walter Mitty type-it's all about style and image. Most want to be something the aren't and never can be, because their morals/wives/responsibilities/greed/mommies won't let them. Kind of like the inner-city 4-year old in cowboy boots, jeans, flannel shirt, 10-gallon hat, and a pair of chrome capguns in a western gunbelt. For some people, it's Halloween every weekend, if it doesn't rain, it isn't too hot, and it isn't too cold. These people ride as far as the nearest cafe to hob-nob with other like-minded Harley riders about how bad they are.

For some people, buying their way into HOG is the only way they can meet their basic human need to belong. They've been so wrapped up in themselves for so long building their financial security that they've either forgotten or never knew how to maintain a friendship. They've screwed over so many people in business that their business relationships are STRICTLY business. Their wives/husbands/significant others left them because of neglect, and if they are married (usually again), it's either a matter of convenience or the spouse is waiting to collect the estate. These people cannot pass a cafe with a herd of Harleys parked outside. These people will argue endlessly how much better their Harleys are than any other motorcycle on the road.

For a very few Harley buyers, their motorcycles move their souls. These folks don't think Sturgis is that big a deal. They'll ride beside a crotchrocket or dualsport and not think a thing of it. These folks will see a herd of Harleys parked at a cafe, and keep right on riding. These folks often have a crotchrocket, motocrosser, dualsport, or all three in the garage.

The solution then is to get the cash and wait for a private seller. The Uly, I have seen 06 going for $7500 so by the time I have enough cash they should be down another grand :mrgreen: Let someone else work the bugs out and I well take it from there! :trust:

Last edited:
get a used one from an individual. he will sell to you for more money than the harley dealer will give him on a trade in. i bet there are thousands out there to buy.......... ebay, and other sites have them..... a lot of them probably have very few miles cuz some people buy them and realize they are not really riders..... or they only ride it down to the corner bar and grille... etc etc.. so you can probably pick up some very good bikes at a considerable discount over new at the dealer cost...... plus they probably have a lot of farkles already on them and this will be deeply discounted also...

It's supply and demand. Nothing more; nothing less.

Wait until late June when the HD dealer is clearing out inventory because the 08's are on the way. I bought my Sportster in late June last year at $500 under MSRP.

hond330 said:
i bet there are thousands out there to buy

No doubt. When I was looking for a Harley late 2004, there were only a few used bikes at the dealer near me in north Austin. Now their lot is packed. Even then, they were giving some ground on the used bikes. The new models were too expensive so I never asked.

I'm watching for a used Sportster for a friend, and there are many more for sale at much better prices (for buyers) than when I was shopping. HD must have gone through a pretty aggressive upgrade program to put so many used bikes on the market.

For a very few Harley buyers, their motorcycles move their souls. These folks don't think Sturgis is that big a deal. They'll ride beside a crotchrocket or dualsport and not think a thing of it. These folks will see a herd of Harleys parked at a cafe, and keep right on riding. These folks often have a crotchrocket, motocrosser, dualsport, or all three in the garage

well i guess i fit on the later group,the "problem" with pricing now days is that all new big twins come with a 96" motor and six speed trany thus making the new Harleys much better that before.i was once told by an 'ol timer "you can never loose money on either a Harley or realestate".well tell that to corporate Harley.just last weekend i was looking at a new Road-glide,but when they told me what they would give me for my restored '88 heritage i just about puked in disgust.the sales person then proceeded to tell me the new Harleys are droping all other's value like a bad habit.the look on my budies' faces were priceless since they both just got new Ultra-glides last year(88 cid and 5 speed)i imagine the '06 s will be the ones to break a deal on easier.

No one deals on any product if they don't have to.

DaveC said:
These guys have MSRP and that is it! Forget about getting anything near the value of your bike. Whats up with that? Why would I want to buy a bike from them. Looking at farkle market and there is nothing for less than $100 dollars. You would think they would be more willing to neogotiate. Figure they can sell without needing to come down off the price any? Sucker born every minute?

Everything is MSRP at Texoma HD in Sherman, TX. They also don't "farkle" up the bikes in order to add to the price/profit of selling one. Overall, I was very impressed with their dealership although a little peeved at how they slighted their other line of bikes, Victory motorcycles (which I think are just better built bikes).

oh well ill stick with my vfr.it handles better and is more fun.besides i bought it because their isnt that many around and most people dont have a clue what it is.

Back