• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adjustable, tuneable exhausts?

R

Red Brown

Howdy,

Checking the Patent Online Archives, I found this...

"Sound and power are an important part of the motorcycling experience. From the early days people have been attempting to get it “right” and have tried numerous ways to achieve the best of both worlds.

Generally one had to be sacrificed to some degree to get the other. Tuning the exhaust rather than tuning the carburetor or increasing cubic inches is a less expensive and more efficient way to get both the sound and midrange power that motorcyclists are looking for."

Enter the Exhaust Enhancement exhaust pipes idea...if the pricing was appealing, would people consider buying an exhaust system that could be manually or real-time tuned? For example a baffle like device that opens and closes based on the amount of back-pressure, noise/sportiness desired by the motorycle driver without requiring tools.

The following patent achieves this...now if they could ONLY commercialize it!

Patent number: 6848252
Filing date: Apr 7, 2003
Issue date: Feb 1, 2005
Inventor: James Charles Maybeck
Primary Examiner: Binh Q. Tran
Attorney: Alston & Bird LLP

Patent file:

ttp://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F6848252

Best,

Red

PS Just imagine at the flick of a switch making the quiet exhaust develop a nice growl and perhaps adding a pound or two of torque for chasing your canyon carving friends...then entering a quiet city, flicking the switch and returning to the tepid sounding OEM exhaust note...

SuperTrapp has been selling manually tune-able exhausts (for volume and backpressure) since the early '70s, IIRC. Most OEM superbikes now have a solenoid-controlled valve in the collector to adjust backpressure and smooth out the power delivery. Buells have them too.

I recently saw something that does this for H-Ds (of course). I can't remember which vendor it was (Cobra, VanceHines, etc), but it uses an electric solenoid to move a butterfly valve, changing the backpressure. It's just a matter of time before it comes available for other street bikes.

Dave

edit: found it. It's from National Cycle. Peacemaker Exhausts

Already available for the Wing :trust:

DialToneLG.jpg

http://www.mblinnovations.com/NewProduct.html

scratch said:
SuperTrapp has been selling manually tune-able exhausts (for volume and backpressure) since the early '70s, IIRC. Most OEM superbikes now have a solenoid-controlled valve in the collector to adjust backpressure and smooth out the power delivery. Buells have them too.

I have a SuperTrapp on the G S3 and it is easy to add or remove baffles. However, adjusting back pressure alone (not in company with other modifications) in most instances does little to improve performance, especially on electronically fuel injected engines. In some instances, engine performance can suffer; though as you noted, if the engine is mapped to handle it, it can be provide a power advantage if you can live with the noise.

From the 1950s at least, exhaust cut-outs have been available for those who want them. The cut-outs that I am familiar with use a cable operated butterfly valve placed ahead of the muffler.

scratch said:
SuperTrapp has been selling manually tune-able exhausts (for volume and backpressure) since the early '70s, IIRC.QUOTE]

Right, but how about a servo unit of sorts that has 10 "settings" for loudness etc? This could be adjusted on the handlebars in real-time while driving.

Another idea is have the servo work in conjunction with a Power Commander unit. In that scenario, the baffle servo would then make adjustments with the Power Commander. It would automatically alter the PC settings for optimal fuel/air/mixture settings.

Red

dukey33 said:
I recently saw something that does this for H-Ds (of course). I can't remember which vendor it was (Cobra, VanceHines, etc), but it uses an electric solenoid to move a butterfly valve, changing the backpressure. It's just a matter of time before it comes available for other street bikes.

Dave

edit: found it. It's from National Cycle. Peacemaker Exhausts

This is along the lines I was thinking. How adaptive is it for other such motorcycles? How do they accomplish this?

Fred

PS They have "Patent Pending"...the oldest trick in the book to scare away copy-cats.

My FZ1 has an exhaust valve that adjusts on the fly to maximize tuning at all RPM's. It's caled an EXUP valve, believe R-1's have em too.

My FZ1 has an exhaust valve that adjusts on the fly to maximize tuning at all RPM's. It's called an EXUP valve, believe R-1's have em too.

Interesting...I did not know that.

FYI, I test road an 2004 FZ1 and it was the best performing, nimble bike I have ever ridden. It has a SUPERB feel without too much hunch back of Notre Dame riding position. If I was to start over selecting a new bike, a PRE-2005 FZ1 is the ticket. The Fazer bike with GIVI hard-bags is a FJR killer and without them can keep up with almost all unmodified sport bikes....I miss riding the FZ1 so much, I could almost start crying it was that pleasant of an experience.

Red

Back