• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Custom Helmet Painting

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
I know someone on the forum paints custom helmets, but I can't remember who it was and the search function keeps timing out on me tonight. I really want my yellow Shoei painted to match Ayrton Senna's 1993 F1 helmet.

senna93_1c.jpg

I also don't know if there are any copyright issues involved with using those corporate logos. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Well, I'm a little concerned about copyright but moreso just the ability to get every bit of every letter. It almost makes sense to see if decals are available. I paint the stripes, apply the decals, then clear coat it.

These days, copyright is nothing to play with. Too many lawyers with nothing better to do.

I don't think paint stripes can be copyrighted. Squeaky can charge for the paint. It would also be legal for Squeaky to buy and resell the decals, but not legal to duplicate the decals with paint and sell that service.

Now, there are always loopholes in the law. :trust: if Squeaky found a helmet sitting under a table at a local eatery, took it home and painted it, then left it on the bike one day and it got stolen, that would be legal. Then, Squeaky might just have a lucky day and find an envelope full of money under the front tire. That would be legal.

Squeaky said:
Well, I'm a little concerned about copyright but moreso just the ability to get every bit of every letter. It almost makes sense to see if decals are available. I paint the stripes, apply the decals, then clear coat it.

Just make some small changes. Instead of "tencel" have "tensel" or "Tag Hever" instead of "tag Heuer". No one will notice. It took me 3 weeks to figure out that the $3.00 pair of Oakleys I bought at the gas stations were really "Oakeys." :rofl:

Rainmaker said:
J the $3.00 pair of Oakleys I bought at the gas stations were really "Oakeys." :rofl:
I think they make those just north of the Red River. :lol2:

TexBiker said:
I know someone on the forum paints custom helmets, but I can't remember who it was and the search function keeps timing out on me tonight. I really want my yellow Shoei painted to match Ayrton Senna's 1993 F1 helmet.

senna93_1c.jpg

I also don't know if there are any copyright issues involved with using those corporate logos. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Very cool TexBiker! I have a yellow Shoei X-11 helmet.

jhansen said:
Squeaky....jedi master of helmet painting....:zen: :thumb: :hail:

Really?????? Cooooooooooooooooool.

Hey, Squeaky, I've got this idea for a helmet painting project.....
it involves a breaking wave, the beach, a sunset, a sufer dude and this hottie mermaid image that looks just like, ahhh, yeah and well, ah, you see.....then they're, hmmmm, how do I put this? ah, well anyway......they're, whoops, can't say that, so anyway......;-)

I'm glad to learn we have an accomplished painter of helmets aboard. Maybe sometime in the future we can discuss helmet painting ?

I have a thought (Use Caution when this happens :trust:

Is there a difference between painting the logos rather than putting a sticker on the helmet when it comes to Trade Mark or Copyright Laws.

If you wear the Helmet your not presenting it for sale as a particular brand or representing it as a brand you are just decorating the helmet with painted "Decals"

Anyone have any insight??????

TexBiker said:

senna93_1c.jpg

This can be done very easily, buy taking some pics and making stencils and painting or reproducing decals. We have to do it all the time when repairing Tanks to match OEM decals that are no longer avail./backordered

I think you are over worrying. No one is going to go to court over a one off painted helmet. Should the painter put it on their website advertising that they will make copies for anyone, then maybe.

ta2240 said:
I have a thought (Use Caution when this happens :trust:

Is there a difference between painting the logos rather than putting a sticker on the helmet when it comes to Trade Mark or Copyright Laws.

If you wear the Helmet your not presenting it for sale as a particular brand or representing it as a brand you are just decorating the helmet with painted "Decals"

Anyone have any insight??????

Anyone can paint anything on their own stuff, and no infringement. If the painter receives any kind of compensation for the painting, then there is infringement. For instance, I screenprint. I've done some art featuring Calvin that I print for myself. That's legal. People see the art and want a copy. I can not sell them a printed shirt. Nor can I charge them for printing a shirt they provide. However, I can print a few shirts and give it them away as gifts.

Not directed at Squeaky in particular, but maybe someone here would know. What would one expect for a custom paint job on a full face helmet? Nothing too extravagant. Maybe some flames or tribal stuff that runs tastefully around my nickname. Two, maybe three colors to match the bike.

This really has me thinking....:ponder:

sped said:
Not directed at Squeaky in particular, but maybe someone here would know. What would one expect for a custom paint job on a full face helmet? Nothing too extravagant. Maybe some flames or tribal stuff that runs tastefully around my nickname. Two, maybe three colors to match the bike.

This really has me thinking....:ponder:

Some examples ranging from 200-500.

Attachments

• DSCF2038.JPG
    DSCF2038.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF2046.JPG
    DSCF2046.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF2150.JPG
    DSCF2150.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 113
I have a friend in College Station that is an excellent artist, paints helmets, and is featured in the latest Roadracing World magazine, Scott McDermott.

Here's his site. Note, the helmet section. He's a pro. He makes his living with paint. I suspect he sniffs it a lot, too, but that's another story. :rofl:

http://mcdermottdesigns.com/

Jack Giesecke said:
I suspect he sniffs it a lot, too, but that's another story. :rofl:

And I bet it's a great story too! :rofl:

Your friend is very talented. I've always wanted a one off custom painted helmet. I may be making a move on something like this in the future. Thanks for the link!

I *almost* painted my helmet to match the bike when I was repainting it, but I got lazy and didn't do it :yawn:

Good looking helmets on here :thumb:

Back