• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike Transport in Central Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Last Name
Eubank
Folks, I turn to you once again for answers.

Does anyone know the going rate for transporting a bike in the Central Texas area? I don't need one transported, I'm looking at getting into the business of transporting bikes (and most anything else I can get in a pickup) from the Central Texas area to just about anywhere within about 150 miles of Austin/Round Rock.

My problem is figuring the rates. I know about what it's going to cost me per mile to run it but I'm trying to determine a fair rate to charge. If any of you have used a bike transport company, I'd appreciate any input.

Ride on!

Hmmm...I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd pay pretty good to RIDE certain bikes point-to-point in central TX...extra, if they'd let me ride on dirt...and take the LOOOONG way...
:mrgreen:

I looked into having a bike transported from Dayonta Beach, FL to San Marcos, TX a couple of years ago. The rates ranged from $500 to $650. I just flew out and rode it home. I spent a little bit more more, but I got a vacation out of it and there is nothing like 2500 miles in eight days to get to know your new bike.

I don't think you will get many takers with a 150 mile range. Most folks will borrow or rent a truck or trailer, if they do not already have one, and move it themselves. When it comes to bikes, just have someone drive you over and ride it home. I do not see a big market here.

Big Bandit said:
I looked into having a bike transported from Dayonta Beach, FL to San Marcos, TX a couple of years ago. The rates ranged from $500 to $650. I just flew out and rode it home. I spent a little bit more more, but I got a vacation out of it and there is nothing like 2500 miles in eight days to get to know your new bike.

I don't think you will get many takers with a 150 mile range. Most folks will borrow or rent a truck or trailer, if they do not already have one, and move it themselves. When it comes to bikes, just have someone drive you over and ride it home. I do not see a big market here.

I agree that the 150 miles is a hinderance but I'm looking into DOT regs on what the limits are before I'd have to start using log books, etc. I think with just a bike and trailer (as an independent courier) my mileage and logging isn't regulated.

I guess basically I'm just looking to see what the going rate is. I could make it to Oklahoma City and back in one day if necessary, just wanting to see what a fair price would be. :zen:

In all seriousness, you might get some takers from folks who don't like waiting at dealerships while maintenence is being done. That might be a good "in"...offer transport to various shops to/from homes or where the riders work...

Hmmm....pay a few bucks to have a guy pick up a bike from the work parking lot, haul it to the dealer for service, and haul it back? I think some folks would go for that.

J

bedlam said:
In all seriousness, you might get some takers from folks who don't like waiting at dealerships while maintenence is being done. That might be a good "in"...offer transport to various shops to/from homes or where the riders work...

Hmmm....pay a few bucks to have a guy pick up a bike from the work parking lot, haul it to the dealer for service, and haul it back? I think some folks would go for that.

J

Good point and good idea. I'm not looking to get rich, just get some cash-flow going and figure, the trailer is setting in the driveway unused. Might as well make it earn it's parking spot. :o)

Thanks for the input.

If it helps a member on another board I follow had a breakdown on Mopac last night and it cost $65 to get the bike towed back to his house in South Austin.

I own a Repo company and we charge $1.30 a mile one way for mileage other charges may apply according to situation. There is a local guy here who does the same thing, I think he also gets the triple A and Harley Owners Group etc etc. He came out to our Charity bike Show and gave out cards pens etc he also does flyers at the local shops and restaurants. The biggest downside that you are missing here is thats this is not an 8 to 5 or an after work thing this is drop what your doing RIGHT NOW AND COME GET ME! Whether you are at work or home in bed asleep.
As a RepoMan I have to be able to get into cars. Thats not a problem. I got to looking and found out that POP A LOCK lock out guys were making around $45 per call. I figured I could beat that with no sweat maybe $30 or $35 but then I figured out the same thing drop what you are doing and come get me in my car right now! If you don't well you've lost more than just one sale. So that is another thing to keep in mind they might all or even any be convient after work jaunts. The next thing is what about insurance? IE basically there are 2 things to consider here
#1 the DOT says that ANYTHING you move for compensation is Freight
#2 if you are moving VEHICLES for a fee you are TOWING and therefore must carry tow insurance
So theoretically you either would have to be insured as a freight carrier or as a tow company, this would probably nullify any profits instantly.
The thing that I must impress on you is this:
#1 Your moving someones motorcycle to a shop for them, a UNINSURED drunk runs the redlight and T bones you destroying the bike. AS SOON AS YOUR Insurance company finds out your were getting paid to move it they will NOT pay for it because you DIDN"T have commercial coverage.
#2 It's YOUR fault you scratched a $35,000 trailer Queen when you were strapping it down, ouch! thats gonna cost you!
#3 It's NOT your fault the guys just a butt and he wants YOU to pay for a scratch you DIDN'T do, what now?
I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from this endeavor just to make sure you are aware of what you may be getting into. Find out if the other guy listed above has Tow insurance if he does and you don't he might file a complaint. How would you advertise? The area tow companies might see the ad and take offense and file a complaint. As a general rule I think this is a wide open untapped market and I think the Austin Area has plenty of call for a knowledgeable careful MOTORCYCLIST to move other Motorcyclists bikes because someone with the same passion and interests will show a higher level of care and safety than Joe Bob Tow Truck Driver just do your research first
SRAD

SRADkneedragger said:
I own a Repo company and we charge $1.30 a mile one way for mileage other charges may apply according to situation. There is a local guy here who does the same thing, I think he also gets the triple A and Harley Owners Group etc etc. He came out to our Charity bike Show and gave out cards pens etc he also does flyers at the local shops and restaurants. The biggest downside that you are missing here is thats this is not an 8 to 5 or an after work thing this is drop what your doing RIGHT NOW AND COME GET ME! Whether you are at work or home in bed asleep.
As a RepoMan I have to be able to get into cars. Thats not a problem. I got to looking and found out that POP A LOCK lock out guys were making around $45 per call. I figured I could beat that with no sweat maybe $30 or $35 but then I figured out the same thing drop what you are doing and come get me in my car right now! If you don't well you've lost more than just one sale. So that is another thing to keep in mind they might all or even any be convient after work jaunts. The next thing is what about insurance? IE basically there are 2 things to consider here
#1 the DOT says that ANYTHING you move for compensation is Freight
#2 if you are moving VEHICLES for a fee you are TOWING and therefore must carry tow insurance
So theoretically you either would have to be insured as a freight carrier or as a tow company, this would probably nullify any profits instantly.
The thing that I must impress on you is this:
#1 Your moving someones motorcycle to a shop for them, a UNINSURED drunk runs the redlight and T bones you destroying the bike. AS SOON AS YOUR Insurance company finds out your were getting paid to move it they will NOT pay for it because you DIDN"T have commercial coverage.
#2 It's YOUR fault you scratched a $35,000 trailer Queen when you were strapping it down, ouch! thats gonna cost you!
#3 It's NOT your fault the guys just a butt and he wants YOU to pay for a scratch you DIDN'T do, what now?
I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from this endeavor just to make sure you are aware of what you may be getting into. Find out if the other guy listed above has Tow insurance if he does and you don't he might file a complaint. How would you advertise? The area tow companies might see the ad and take offense and file a complaint. As a general rule I think this is a wide open untapped market and I think the Austin Area has plenty of call for a knowledgeable careful MOTORCYCLIST to move other Motorcyclists bikes because someone with the same passion and interests will show a higher level of care and safety than Joe Bob Tow Truck Driver just do your research first
SRAD

All very good points and all taken as meant. I've checked into the DOT side of it and the weight regulations are what determine DOT certifications, etc. And I've upped my insurance already to commercial use at the maximums required for courier business (100k/300k/50k).

I'm not looking for it to be 8-5 at all nor do I want to be the guy rescuing someone from a breakdown (did a wrecker business in Ft Worth for a while). I'm already part of the "safety net" for Patriot Guard stuff when we have something happening in town so that's enough for me.

What I'm looking is to supplement a courier business by pulling bikes that folks have purchased out of town and don't want to ride home or dragging someone's bike from home to shop and back. As for the scratch on the trailer queen bike.....that's what contracts are for. Prior walk-around and return walk-around. Plus, I have an open trailer for bikes so mostly it'll be folks with bikes like mine (scratch here, fudge-mark there) that I'm looking to service.

And the repo business? You can have all of that you want! lol When I was a cop, I had more issues with repo and wrecker services than any other business in town. That's definitely a job for a special person (although I know the pay is good). :thumb:

Again, good points and all points taken in context. :thumb:

Back