• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do today?

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Look Mom, No Stand! (I HATE SAND:giveup: )
138382526-L.jpg

Reflection & Anticipation
138383552-L.jpg

Did I tell you all that I hate sand!
138383314-L.jpg

Found some really nice allbeit very localized bluebonnets & some really pretty Dogwood Trees along my ride today.

138383416-L.jpg

138383571-L.jpg

138383456-L.jpg

I will put a map shot up eventually, but suffice it to say I have a new appreciation for San Augustine County... I mean Sand Augustsand County

Oh yeah, looks like my kind of roads. I am all hyped up on coffee right now and looking at these pics makes me want to go find some fun dirt roads, I think I am going to head out today and explore.:rider: Thanks for the report Duke, looked like fun.

Milam County has about all the graded dirt county roads you can stand...

Very nice photos. How did you like the sand? :lol2:

Me and a buddy hit some dirt roads in Wichita County yesterday. Ripping good time!

xr_road.jpg

Thunderchild said:
Very nice photos. How did you like the sand? :lol2:

Me and a buddy hit some dirt roads in Wichita County yesterday. Ripping good time!

xr_road.jpg

Very cool picture. Now your just showing off. I did good to keep mine straight at 15-18 mph much faster and it would fish tail, much slower and I would nose dive. It was comical to watch me try an turn in the sand. I have never before wished so hard for a straight road.

I wish I could ride like you!

Last edited:
R1200GSA said:
I did good to keep mine straight at 15-18 mph much faster and it would fish tail, much slower and I would nose dive.
All those stickers on the cases didn't help? :-P

It would be real good to have a "Sand Day" for someone that is that skilled would train those of us that are a bit intimidated by the stuff. I found that keeping my bike around 45 MPH gets it up on top of the sand, but I want to be able to ride at a speed that will not freak out other travelers on the road. I need some serious schooling on managing turns and going around curves. My sense of self-preservation overrides my adventurous spirit.

DANNYROTH said:
It would be real good to have a "Sand Day" for someone that is that skilled would train those of us that are a bit intimidated by the stuff.

I need some serious schooling on managing turns and going around curves. My sense of self-preservation overrides my adventurous spirit.

+1

Gilk51 said:
All those stickers on the cases didn't help? :-P

I truly want to believe that you are yanking my chain, all in good fun, but are you really?

Not that I have to justify anything that I chose to do, but a poser I am not.

Stickers to me are like my Sea Bag was when I served in the Navy. I would write on my bag every duty station or TAD assignment that I was ordered to. This is same thing that those more senior than I did and it was cool to look at theirs, and you should have seen mine after 4 years. (but it did not help me pack the bag)

Same philosophy with my bike(s). You will not see an "I SURVIVED THE DAKAR RALLY" or "BAJA 250/500/1000 Finisher" or Pit Crew stickers for that matter on my bike. The stickers are simply a way to document where I have been, on THIS bike. It is fun for me, it also makes me stop riding for a while in the towns that I come to and go down main street looking for them, along the way meeting some very interesting people, all adding to my memories.

I don't know how a Yellowstone, Grand Canyon and Glacier National Park or my Canada location stickers are supposed to make me a more competent rider in the sand?

When I look at them on that day I eventually get around to washing the bike it does bring back good memories. And as a bonus it is a great ice breaker when meeting new people. "Did you really ride that far?" is allot more fun way to start a conversation than answering "I didn't know that BMW made motorcycles..." At least it is for me.

I did not know that a sticker could help make me better rider. But if you know of one I will most certainly put it on, as I, without question need all the help I can get.

Last edited:
DANNYROTH said:
It would be real good to have a "Sand Day" for someone that is that skilled would train those of us that are a bit intimidated by the stuff. I found that keeping my bike around 45 MPH gets it up on top of the sand, but I want to be able to ride at a speed that will not freak out other travelers on the road. I need some serious schooling on managing turns and going around curves. My sense of self-preservation overrides my adventurous spirit.

EEGAAADSS 45MPH! I was happy finally being able to put my feet back on the pegs while in a straight line. I cant imagine trying to turn while moving that fast. There was a deffinate moment of stability for me (While in a straight line mind you) at just about 15 mph creeping up to 20mph. When I went faster you could feel the back wheel get loose and when on a 600 pound pig it scares me. Slower than that and the front wheel would plow on me and the back end would try to become the front if you know what I mean.

I am so tempted to pick up a small plated dirt bike and go play on the roads that are challenging for me on the pig.

R1200GSA said:
I truly want to believe that you are yanking my chain, all in good fun, but are you really?
It was in good fun - I thought that the general comment was "stickers make it go faster" and I thought that would help your speed more.

Sorry if it was taken otherwise.

Gilk51 said:
It was in good fun - I thought that the general comment was "stickers make it go faster" and I thought that would help your speed more.

Sorry if it was taken otherwise.

No problem, now I know for sure. "Stickers make it go faster" I like that.

P.S. not that you would know, but I just got through defending my choice of bikes and why I ride with my cases on, and why I must be an idiot for putting stickers all over the bike. I was still in that train of thought when I read your post. Don't hold it against me please.

Humble Regards,
Duke

R1200GSA said:
I am so tempted to pick up a small plated dirt bike and go play on the roads that are challenging for me on the pig.

Go for it, you will love it. :trust:

Great looking bike by the way. I had the 1150 GS for about two or three years. Rode that thing everywhere, loved it. I even made it through copper canyon and part of the Trans American Trail in Arkansas. But you know I never got comfortable on that bike in dirt, unless graded gravel or something like that. Maybe rocky trails up hill were ok.... But, I loved the bike.

SO, I sold it and got another boxer, the R1200RT, screw it, it is a road bike for sure now. Then on the side I got a little DR650 Suzuki. Ha - what a change. All of a sudden I knew how to ride in the dirt, well sort - of kind of for a trail rider. And it became a really fun thing to do. I love that little 650 single. :rider:

Major respect here for those that do handle the big BMWs in the dirt. For me I think I'll just stick to the big singles even if it means putting it on a trailer to get to the good stuff. Seems to work for me anyway.

EDIT to say - Great Pictures and real nice ride report. Thanks for that.

R1200GSA said:
P.S. not that you would know, but I just got through defending my choice of bikes and why I ride with my cases on, and why I must be an idiot for putting stickers all over the bike.

Chuck was kidding. Heck, he rides a V-Strom, so something is amiss with his sense of style anyway...

:duck:

Squeaky said:
Chuck was kidding. Heck, he rides a V-Strom, so something is amiss with his sense of style anyway...
Well, I'll bet the quote I used probably meant racing stickers, but I figured any old stickers would help... :shrug:
:mrgreen:

R1200GSA said:
I did not know that a sticker could help make me better rider. But if you know of one I will most certainly put it on, as I, without question need all the help I can get.

If you pick up two, I'll buy the other one off of you.

I'm still planning a "dirt day" for early May before it gets too hot. If things go right, there will be at least three XR100s and a freshly groomed oval. Not too mention all the county roads you can handle to practice on.

Squeaky said:

:duck:

It wasn't until after I had posted my reply that I realized it was him. Note to self... read ENTIRE post before flying off of the handle.

Chirpy said:
If you pick up two, I'll buy the other one off of you.

I'm still planning a "dirt day" for early May before it gets too hot. If things go right, there will be at least three XR100s and a freshly groomed oval. Not too mention all the county roads you can handle to practice on.

XR100's that brings back some memories. Aside from our Honda Big Red, the first real motorcycle I had was a Honda CR80. That thing would run with the 125's and I could beat the 250's off the line and through 3rd. Then they would scream by. But it is fun when your able to really embarass the older guys in high school by beating them in a short drag race with me on my "mini-bike" and them on the big 250's. I eventually grew to where I could handle a 250 and dad bought a new to me one on on my 16th birthday. I loved that CR250 and I think that is my problem when I get the pig off the hard stuff.

I went into the navy in 89 and bought a VT1100 shadow, and then moved up to a hand me down GL1500, and then bought a GL1800. Infact this pig I now own is the first non-Honda product I have ever owned. I have ridden only street and only large street bikes since the summer of 1989. Less than a year ago when I bought the GS was the first time that I have been in the dirt in a very long time.

Anyway. When I get the GS off in the dirt I feel like a teenager again, like I was riding my 250. Just when I think that I am getting good enough to manuver, I lose control. I have never laid the GS over, but I think that is only because I am tall enough and fat enough to support its weight.

I don't know how to explain it, but on the CR's, I never thought about how to ride, I just rode. There used to be a place off a forgotten about county road near my parents that we called the sand pit. You all know the place as I am sure you had one near where you grew up. It is where you would go on a friday night with friends when there was nothing to do in town and turn the radio up. It was also the place we would meet with our bikes after school and on weekends and go through 3 fill ups of fuel having to much fun. Jumping, and racing on our pretty good if not imaginary MX track. Never worried about laying it down. Never worried about breaking it. All though it would blow hard when you landed hard and popped the chain, (you would only do that once!)

Now I can't stop thinking about how to ride. I try to imagine how I rode the 250 in the sand and think that I am doing the same. Sit back, light on the bars, give it fuel... SMILE.. So far that is not working to well.

In that first picture of the pig snowplowed in the sand, I was clipping along at about 40/50 mph on hard pack with some gravel, having the time of my life, singing in my helmet. When I rounded a bend and WHAM, I am all over the road. I went hard right, near up to the burm, pulled it back to the left and that is when I centered on the burm in the middle of the road. The bike came to a stop, REAL FAST. So fast I did good not to go over the handlebars. I had the clutch pulled in and at a standstill when I realized that my feet were on the pegs, I am not moving, but I am not falling over.... needless to say that was a pretty odd moment. I hop off and take the obligatory photos. and think about just how close I came to hurting myself. I get back on the bike and after several trys to ride out of the sand pile, I get moving again.

Over the next couple of hours riding the back county roads with more sandy sections than hard stuff I gradually get my confidence up to relax if the front tire 'wiggles' when entering the sand from the hard stuff. I still don't like it, because even though my brain knows that speed keeps the gyroscopes upright and pointed. My butt is telling me something totally different and the pucker factor over rides.

Oh well, I guess like with anything in life. The more you do it, the more complacent... err, competent you get. I need to get back and visits my parents more and while there go play on the surrounding county roads.

Last edited:
ThirdCoast said:
Go for it, you will love it. :trust:

Great looking bike by the way. I had the 1150 GS for about two or three years. Rode that thing everywhere, loved it. I even made it through copper canyon and part of the Trans American Trail in Arkansas. But you know I never got comfortable on that bike in dirt, unless graded gravel or something like that. Maybe rocky trails up hill were ok.... But, I loved the bike.

SO, I sold it and got another boxer, the R1200RT, screw it, it is a road bike for sure now. Then on the side I got a little DR650 Suzuki. Ha - what a change. All of a sudden I knew how to ride in the dirt, well sort - of kind of for a trail rider. And it became a really fun thing to do. I love that little 650 single. :rider:

Major respect here for those that do handle the big BMWs in the dirt. For me I think I'll just stick to the big singles even if it means putting it on a trailer to get to the good stuff. Seems to work for me anyway.

EDIT to say - Great Pictures and real nice ride report. Thanks for that.

I thought really hard about the RT, those are very nice. This GS is still by far, the most exciting bike for me that I have ever owned. Even if it does scare me from time to time. I see that there is a very good looking KLR for sale in the San Antonio area right now.... Hmmm.... I am actually going to be working in San Antonio this Wed - Friday... Hmmmm.....

R1200GSA said:
I don't know how to explain it, but on the CR's, I never thought about how to ride, I just rode.

And that is the key, right there. The one thing that Freddie and Kenny both agree on, is that you teach on XR100s. They are unintimidating enough that you can try stuff you wouldn't dare on a bigger bike. And when you mess up, you can usually save it, or if you don't, you remain injury free.

You're still on the ground, you're just not hurt.

The payoff is all the reflexes you learn with 6HP at 20mph transfers to 160HP and 120MPH. Getting good and comfy in the dirt, and being okay with the bike getting loose goes a long way towards keeping the peace on a big bike when things go south.

Stand up and stay steady on the gas. It's an acquired skill that can only be learned with practice. That said I still don't like sand all that much.

Photojojo said:
Stand up and stay steady on the gas. It's an acquired skill that can only be learned with practice. That said I still don't like sand all that much.

I am no expert but steady on the gas in soft sand.... dunno. It seems to me that when the front starts to wash out applied throttle seems to straighten it up for me. I am still practicing and loving it on the smaller DR650. :clap:

Oh and get knobbie tires, that helps a bunch.

Your right. I guess my point was to not let off the gas or brake.

In MOST situations if you think your going to go down on a bike giving it gas will save you. It some situations though your going to get hurt. That's why we ride AGATT, especially on dirt.

Photojojo said:
That's why we ride AGATT, especially on dirt.

I am more AGATT than the average Joe, but I need to beef that up for dirt riding. I am still working on that. Durn motorcycles, all the upgrades and improvements. Looking for better boots and gloves at this point.

Buying a bike is not finished with the initial deal. It is kind of like a marrage, it just never seems to end.

Photojojo said:
Your right. I guess my point was to not let off the gas or brake.

In MOST situations if you think your going to go down on a bike giving it gas will save you. It some situations though your going to get hurt. That's why we ride AGATT, especially on dirt.

I thought that Francisco "Agatt" was an Italian road racer......must be the generation "agapp' again....

Oh yeah back to the sand.....

Chopping the throttle will nose dive the bike and contribute to an early demise...In simple terms.....The faster you go the more you get up on top, just like when you water ski.....It can take a lot of Horse Power and an increased comfort level to look good in sand.....

The best thing is it usually doesn't hurt so much when you get it wrong....It just "keeps you humble".

Back