• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Butt padding

Reaction score
Heheh.
No, seriously.
I need to secure the nose of my sheepskin pad to my seat on the Whee. I'm tired of digging it out from under me when I stand up on my pegs; the front flips up when I get off the seat and nearly folds in half.

Adding a strap to the upper sides of the nose is a no-go. The clips would be in the way, under my inner thighs. Not very comfortable.

I typically remove the pad when I get off the bike for the day so it stays dry, clipping it back on in the morning before I saddle up. So the nose attachment will have to be as easily accessible.

I have a long distance trip coming up in three weeks; I need to have this resolved by then. Open for suggestions.

I had thought about adding a strap that would attach under the front of the seat with a velcro tab, but hard to figure something out that can be removed without taking the seat off.

What about...
A strap of fabric that goes around the front of the seat to the pan underneath, and on the portion that is visible on top of the seat can have a velcro swatch sen on. Then another (opposing) velcro tab on the bottom of the sheepshin?

I'll have to play around with mine some, but we should be able to work something out.

Requiring removal of the seat to attach/detach is a negative :)

To take your idea further, perhaps an elasticized strap like the one running underneath the seat now with clips on each end (crosswise); but instead of clip at the nose, a velcro connection?
Just have to find a place underneath the seat to affix the other end of the strap, which can be permanent. Velcro shouldn't be as bulky and hard as a clip and I don't sit on the top of the nose anyway.

TexasShadow said:
Velcro shouldn't be as bulky and hard as a clip and I don't sit on the top of the nose anyway.

Plus the velcro attachment should be under the pad so it would be cushioned.

What I meant was that the strap going around would be affixed to the plastic underbelly of the seat on both sides so that it stays on there regardless of whether the pad is on or off.

I have the opposite problem with my Alaskan Buttpad. The rear starts to get scrunched down as I ride. Could be that I am using a Corbin and the shape of the seat isn't helping matters. I am actually not happy with the Corbin so it may be going away in favor of a Russell or Mayer saddle.

BTW, I am using a size medium on my Strom.

I made a sheepskin pad out of a car wash "mitt" by cutting it open and spreading it out. I didn't want a big honkin' one and this was economically feasible for me at the time.

I secured it by putting two grommets in, one on either side of the front of the pad, then cut one of the longer elastic hairbands to use as a tie, running it under the nose of the seat, just tying it to the grommets. Worked like a charm for the IronButt run I made to Minot from Dayton. No complaints, and I even got the deed published in MOA's Owner's News in the "Touring Tipster" column. (I'll about do anything for a free T-shirt. Sad. But true.)

Rangoon said:
I have the opposite problem with my Alaskan Buttpad. The rear starts to get scrunched down as I ride.

BTW, I am using a size medium on my Strom.
I have a med on my strom seat as well, but my issue is the nose flying up when I stand up on the pegs. Then I have to spend the next minute or two pulling it out of my crotch, which results in weird looks and just general discomfort and a lot of frustration on my part.

Other than that, my seat is fine, but not without the butt pad. I had it scooped out and the lowest part is nearly on the pan. Plus I tend to move all over the seat anyway, scooting back for long hauls and scooting forward for stopping.

How about just an elastic skirt sewed around the edge of the pad. Like a fitted sheet. It should just slip between the seat and the tank?

Janet

I used velcro with my sheepie... worked very well preventing the dreaded blow-back. I used the industrial strength adheasive type - lasted about 6 months before one side let loose (used 3 attach points - l, r & m).

I'll likely replace it with a continous strip later - took it off for the winter and haven't gotten around to fixing things.

Why not just sew on an elastic strap across the nose? Just slip it over the nose of the saddle then clip the back strap as usual.

txmedic said:
Why not just sew on an elastic strap across the nose? Just slip it over the nose of the saddle then clip the back strap as usual.
Sew leather.......... Hmm..... I suppose I'd better get a better pair of needle-nosed pliers ;)

That might be doable, as long as it doesn't interfere with my inner thigh placement. Especially since the rubber bumpers are removed from the underneath of the pan. It should slip underneath easily enough.

I could give that a try first and see how it works. If not, back to the idea board :mrgreen:

Now, about highway pegs..... :trust:

Squeaky said:
Plus the velcro attachment should be under the pad so it would be cushioned.

What I meant was that the strap going around would be affixed to the plastic underbelly of the seat on both sides so that it stays on there regardless of whether the pad is on or off.
Ah, I see. I think.

Still, I think affixing the tip of the nose would be best, unless the strap is close enough to the tip of the nose of the pad and run underneath the pan.

Oiy.

txbanditrydr said:
I used velcro with my sheepie... worked very well preventing the dreaded blow-back. I used the industrial strength adheasive type - lasted about 6 months before one side let loose (used 3 attach points - l, r & m).
HAH! I just had an idea.........

Will test it out this weekend.

(where's a good source of that industrial strength velcro?)

bedlam said:
You know Howard's always lookin' for any excuse to fire his welder up!
:mrgreen:

I was thinking clamp-ons, that fold up. *IF* I can find a place on the current engine guards to mount them for stubby legs.

TexasShadow said:
Sew leather.......... Hmm..... I suppose I'd better get a better pair of needle-nosed pliers ;)

That might be doable, as long as it doesn't interfere with my inner thigh placement. Especially since the rubber bumpers are removed from the underneath of the pan. It should slip underneath easily enough.

I could give that a try first and see how it works. If not, back to the idea board :mrgreen:

Now, about highway pegs..... :trust:

Take it to a shoe repair shop. they will be able to do it in about two minutes flat.

The blow-back issue is big for me too. I've gotten used to grabbing the front of the pad on my way back down if I've been up on the pegs for a bit.

Squeaky said:
The blow-back issue is big for me too. I've gotten used to grabbing the front of the pad on my way back down if I've been up on the pegs for a bit.
The *last* thing I want to do in deep gravel and dirt, when tires are going squirrelly whirly, and you're muttering in your helmet "Holy s@#^, I hope I can keep this bike up!", it to have to grab at the butt pad in your crotch. [1]

aka. need to tack it down somehow. Now. ;-)

[1] Explanation in report of second day on the roads in BB country.

Well, when/if I don't put it back in place, all it does is feel a little weird and sit me up about a half inch. The first time it happened I couldn't figure out why my seat felt "funny". Took about a half hour before I realized it was the pad folded over.

I guess I have more "natural" padding on me than you do...

Maybe this guy could help:
mixalot.jpg

It's cold and I'm a weather weenie, so I chose to do indoor projects today. But it's bike related!

I found 2-inch wide (x 4 ft) industrial strength velcro and 1.5-inch wide heavy stretch elastic at Hobby Lobby (note: that's a scary place to go into; it's like a jungle full of........stuff. Do people really buy that stuff????? I just don't 'get it'.)

Removing the seat and pad, bringing both inside, I proceeded to improvise straps.

First, I cut and affixed the adhesive side of pieces of the non-loop section to the underpart of the pad. I tried to strategically place them as close to the nose as possible and on each side of the nose. Then, gauging the length from side to side and underneath the pan, I cut a section of the elastic and attached the loop sections to the ends, cutting to fit.

Next, I cut to fit another piece of the non-loop section and affixed it underneath to the very nose of the pan. Again, estimating length, another section of elastic was cut and a piece of the loop mate pressed onto one end.

For the other end that attaches to the pad itself, I hunted up my trusty leather awl which I haven't used in many many years. I've used this for repairing leather halters, bridles, etc. It lays on the underside of the pad depicted below: a spool of waxed heavy-duty hemp thread is wound around a small spool which resides inside the wooden handle and is fed out alongside the needle. It's a tedious job but it is strong as an ox. Nor can you see any of the stitching from above; it's hidden by the wool.

awl.jpg

So now I have two options to keep the nose of my pad down on my seat when I stand up on my pegs. After riding dirt roads in Big Bend and digging the nose of the pad out of my crotch all the time, it was past time to fix that issue.

I'll test it out tomorrow. I stand on the pegs when ever I go over RR tracks of road bumps. My back thanks me.

spad2.jpg

spad1.jpg

I solved all of those problems easily. I wear mine like a diaper.

But when I go in stores I get funny looks, and my family won't ride with me anymore.

Back