• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roehr Motorcycles

mjacks

Reaction score
I don't think I have seen this posted before.

http://www.roehrmotorcycles.com/

Interesting use of a Harley (Porsche) motor. Is it me or does it look like a mix of a Ducati and a MV Augusta with a little VFR? (Mostly Duc)

buildup6_022a.jpg

I dunno, but it sure is purdy! I'd take one for a spin (but that isn't saying much).

Looks pretty cool, I love the 999 lights....but then again, I have loved most of the Duc lights, minus the 1098.

I like it. 999 headlights and all. And just think, here's a sportbike that the Harley guys HAVE to wave to!!

Nothing against Buell, but I really like the idea of somebody bringing a more (ok, somewhat) conventional AMERICAN sportbike to the market. Now if somebody could do it at a performance and price to compare with the imports, we'd really be talking.

I dig it, man. Anybody notice that face down butt up attitude? Looks like a road bicycle or a cat getting scratched right in front of its tail.

If you look at this pic they have of it, the lights are off center to the tires :doh: The screen looks wrong on the leftside... it looks cheesy to me :doh: ~$40K... you could get 3 1098's :trust:

buildup6_014a.jpg

It's a bad 999 clone and $40k is insane. Not to mention the 999 wasn't one of Duc's better looking rides.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy one.

sherob said:
If you look at this pic they have of it, the lights are off center to the tires :doh: The screen looks wrong on the leftside... it looks cheesy to me :doh: ~$40K... you could get 3 1098's :trust:

buildup6_014a.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with the bodywork. The front wheel is turned slightly to the right making everything look out of whack. The headlights, gauge cluster and fuel filler cap are all in a straight line. The wonkiness is just an optical illusion.

bung said:
The wonkiness is just an optical illusion.

Some of us prefer a bit of wonkiness. Normal is boring.

Wow, they already redesigned it and doubled the price -- and it still hasn't made it into production yet:

Superbike Blog report on Roehr Motorcycles from 2004:
http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2004/11/oh-brother-its-another-misguided.html

americansportbike.jpg

"Here we go again. For the umpteenth time in the last few years, some American dude with a lot of money and time on his hands has designed and built a half-baked sportbike that he wants to sell for more than twice the price of the average Japanese repli-racer.

The motorcycle (pictured at right) is the Roehr RV1000, a 120 crank-horsepower, 24,000-dollar obscurity with -- you guessed it -- a large displacement V-twin engine. I'm about to nod off just thinking about it. In fact, the only mildly interesting thing about the bike is its supposed dry weight -- a claimed 335 pounds. Regardless, it seems we have yet another ill-conceived piece of expensive American iron on our hands that will soon have its backside handed to it by virtually every 7,000-dollar Japanese supersport on the market.

Who are these guys' target demographic, anyway? The Ducati crowd, maybe? Fat chance. I just don't get it.

Just in case there are any budding American engineers/designers out there reading this article who have ambitions to build the first great American sportbike, here are some very basic requirements:

1. An inline, transverse, 4-cylinder engine (or perhaps even a V-4) capable of putting 155 to 165 horsepower to the ground

2. Fully-adjustable front and rear suspension

3. A six-speed, sure-shifting transmission

4. A dry weight of no more than 375 pounds

5. An MSRP of no more than $10,500

If you can't manage at least those 5 things, don't even bother turning the milling machines on, boys. In the meantime, best of luck to Roehr Motorcycles -- they're going to need it."

buildup6_014a.jpg

where's the front brake lever? :scratch:

Oh, wait! front brakes are dangerous! :lol2:

of course these are the guys that brought us the VR1000

edit so maybe it is a clone of their 999 clone of 10 years before the 999

Tim Kreitz said:
Wow, they already redesigned it and doubled the price -- and it still hasn't made it into production yet:

Superbike Blog report on Roehr Motorcycles from 2004:
http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2004/11/oh-brother-its-another-misguided.html

americansportbike.jpg

"Here we go again. For the umpteenth time in the last few years, some American dude with a lot of money and time on his hands has designed and built a half-baked sportbike that he wants to sell for more than twice the price of the average Japanese repli-racer.

The motorcycle (pictured at right) is the Roehr RV1000, a 120 crank-horsepower, 24,000-dollar obscurity with -- you guessed it -- a large displacement V-twin engine. I'm about to nod off just thinking about it. In fact, the only mildly interesting thing about the bike is its supposed dry weight -- a claimed 335 pounds. Regardless, it seems we have yet another ill-conceived piece of expensive American iron on our hands that will soon have its backside handed to it by virtually every 7,000-dollar Japanese supersport on the market.

Who are these guys' target demographic, anyway? The Ducati crowd, maybe? Fat chance. I just don't get it.

Just in case there are any budding American engineers/designers out there reading this article who have ambitions to build the first great American sportbike, here are some very basic requirements:

1. An inline, transverse, 4-cylinder engine (or perhaps even a V-4) capable of putting 155 to 165 horsepower to the ground

2. Fully-adjustable front and rear suspension

3. A six-speed, sure-shifting transmission

4. A dry weight of no more than 375 pounds

5. An MSRP of no more than $10,500

If you can't manage at least those 5 things, don't even bother turning the milling machines on, boys. In the meantime, best of luck to Roehr Motorcycles -- they're going to need it."

I think the point he's making is that the sportbike market is more function oriented. You can't get away with cruiser marketing techniques in the sportbike world. Either it has the numbers or it don't and you just can't come up with a sportbike that's going to BETTER the current bikes from Japan at ANY price. Ducati is close, but no cigar.

Buell has carved out a niche not based on numbers and the Euro stuff has "panache" and snob appeal that allows them to be overpriced, but no one takes on the Japanese in pure performance. There's just nothing about any of the new American attempts that has anything else going for it, so they're going to HAVE to make it on the numbers and they're going to be running into a Juggernaut taking the Japanese on, I'm afraid.

Jack Giesecke said:
...no one takes on the Japanese in pure performance.
There are at least two exceptions that come to mind: the MV Agusta F4 1000 and the Triumph Daytona 675. The Triumph even has a competitive price. :thumb:

scratch said:
There are at least two exceptions that come to mind: the MV Agusta F4 1000 and the Triumph Daytona 675. The Triumph even has a competitive price. :thumb:
the MV would be competitive against a stock gsxr or cbr maybe even an R1 as they come with much better suspension. However if you work on the suspension any the Jap bikes are better.

the Triumph is not even close to the gsxr 750 that is in its class.

Yeah, ask Phillip Fisher about Triumphs for racing. :rofl: Ryan Andrews wasn't doing that well on one, either. Well, they were messing with the TT600, not the Daytona, but the Daytona is no competition, either. The 675 must be compared to the 750 Suzuki like Glen says, too big for a 600cc classes. I like Triumphs a LOT as street bikes, but that's because I don't happen to think cutting edge performance is all that important on the street. Triumphs are affordable, at least, and they make some highly desirable stuff to me (especially the ST and the speed triple), but go head to head with a GSXR? :rolleyes: I reckon the Triumph does prove one thing, even if the bike isn't cutting edge, there is a Japanese alternative market if you can keep the price competitive. The bike, itself, doesn't have to be competitive in pure numbers, race track performance. However, the pure sport Triumphs aren't my most desired ones, but then again, I got no real use for an R1 or GSXR1000 on the street, either. Kids buy street bikes based on race wins (supposedly a big market). When you grow up, you know better. :mrgreen:

MV, well, that goes in the Euro eccentric category, for the rich and famous. You could argue the same with the 999 Ducati, though I'd take a cutting edge Jap liter bike, myself, for pure performance.

Well, the Fischer has a Korean heart, not sure how that's going to sell, but the pricing is competitive. And, the sportbike world isn't so bone headed about "AMERICAN MOTORCYCLES" as the cruiser world. Besides, I doubt there's any more foreign parts in that Fisher than your average sportster. :rofl: Still, I'd rather get an SV at nearly half the price, well, 2/3 the price anyway. Be interesting to see if any of the things show up at the track to give the SVs some competition, though. If I were racing the class, though, I'd go SV and be able to afford a lot of suspension upgrades for the savings, and a slipper clutch. I don't know if I could race an SV without a slipper clutch, too danged much compression braking for my tastes. Now, where would you buy a slipper clutch for a Hyosung motor? This is the problem with it in racing, no aftermarket.

ysr612 said:
doesn't that bring us back to the the start of the thread. I see a lot of the same design team.

other question is that an sv motor??

The Fischer doesn't look a thing like the Roehr... and it's a heck of alot cheaper too :trust:

Back