• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Whoooo's gettin' a free ECU from Suzuki?

Eulogite

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Edwards
I AM! :clap: I think the key was that I let Action Suzuki do my valves and throttle bodies last fall(and I had two other reports to Suzuki that my bike ran like crud in the dreaded 3-4k RPM range in 4-OD. So I took it back and said it's still lean between 3-4k and I heard there was a hidden warranty. He objected to the term hidden warranty, but called the next day to say my free chip was on its way.

I also succumbed to the anal-retentives on the VSRI and decided to try a gearing change while I was having my chain replaced. One down in front, two up in back. I'll report back after the test ride next week. I'll have both items to chew on at once, unfortunately, so I can't savor each one individually.

Okay, Strommers. I know, especially on VSRI, when anybody does a mod they get on the forum and swoon about how great it is (I've been guilty, also). But, with credit to those same VSRI guys for the idea, I do love the change with the 16/43 sprocket combination. I also have the new ECU. I can tell you, I'll be shifting gears a lot less often. Before, I never ran OD because 70 mph was 4k, and if I rolled off the throttle at all, I would have to downshift because of the stumbling/stuttering. It now pulls well in the top three gears in the entire range from 3-4k. The other really noticeable difference is that before, I had to wind it up to take off. Now, I can just let the clutch out and it will go. I also have a new chain, replaced at 18,000 on the bike's odo.

What will you do about the speedometer error that will be worse with the gearing change?

Good to see they're taking care of the ECU!
As far as fixing the speedo error I use a Speedohealer.
I keep them in stock.

This will not fix the gearing changes, but for stock Vstroms there is a dude in California that produces speedo back plates that corrects for the 10% error. I got one when I took the bike from Canada to the USA. Looks great.

It will correct the speedometer error for gearing changes. I've verified it with GPS on several V-Stroms.

My speedo error is now 20% and the odo error is 13%. I think I will correct because of the odometer error. I can ignore the speedo because the GPS is more prominent in my vision.

I have six useable gears on my bike, now. I was in the hill country this weekend and spent LOTS of time in OD which I rarely used before. At 70, I'm at about 4500 rpms in OD. Lots less gear shifts.

What effect did the gearing changes have on your fuel mileage?

It's hard to say because of the wind. I did get 35 mpg on one tank Saturday, but that was a very windy day. I'm going to guess I lost 2-3 miles/gallon.

Back