• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

March Pie Run Ride to New Ulm - 03/31/07

Reaction score
First Name
Georgia
Last Name
Rennick
Re: West Houston DS Ride For Pie - New Ulm 3/31

euromedic said:
:giveup: I wimped out...waited for worst of storm to blow through at work, but then found out the hard way that my boots are not waterproof. Add to that still pouring rain, and a slick road scare :eek2: and decided it was wiser to just go home. I guess i am fair weather rider after all :rider: Hope those that made it did so safely :clap: and enjoyed the pie :eat:

That's ok Peter. We didn't ride out of the rain until after Brookshire and my boots were full of water. Also, most of the way to Brookshire I inadvertently left my upper sleeve vents open, but didn't get too wet. When it came time to leave it was sunny in New Ulm and some people took their liners out of their jackets. I split from the folks looking for some dirt roads, so I came back a north route on 159, then drove right back into the rain and coldishness at Hempstead. Funny thing is my cheapo $20 rain pants from Wally World kept my pants dry the whole time. I had a really nice dry ride on 159 though, I will post a picture.

Brookshire:
April2007065.jpg

New Ulm upon arrival:
April2007068.jpg

My ride back on 159:
April2007070.jpg

Squeakly you can move these to the after ride report if you want.

mcrider said:
I guess they are very wet by now, maybe. I'm about 2 miles from the Valero & I have thunder, lighting & rain at 9:22. :giveup:

Did you go :rider: ? I'm nice & dry, just call me fair weather :rider:
Yeah I heard that lightning at about that time. And yeah I went, it drizzled all the way to Brookshire and then to New Ulm and all of a sudden it cleared out and we had blue skies the rest of the day while on the dirt roads to Independence and then back via 105. Texas DR and I even got in some water crossings (severely flooded roads). It was good riding with everyone, Ken, Duke, and Squeaky let us know when you get home, enjoyed the burger I skipped on the pie......trying to get down to my fighting weight.:lol2:
Edit: It was good riding with you too Georgia......sorry I am brain dead and I have some serious monkey butt, I think my seat is worn out.... I need to take a shower.

I'm home! And tired...

Full report later, but I'm glad I braved the morning rain. It proved quite a worthy riding day.

Ok. I'm back home too. More accurately, back home, quickly rinse dirt off from the bike, took shower, finished a can of beer, and finally relaxed.

Yes, it was a great ride! I did not bring camera so no pics from me today. Will post more stories after my wife & daughter give up my computer...

Thanks Bryan for leading us most of the route. It was great to ride with you guys, Duke, Squeaky, Georgia. Sorry I cannot recall Squeaky's friend's name, but it was nice to have met you too.

Thanks!
Ken

Last edited:

You guys are troopers. I was up and watching the posts and the weather this morning, but it was pretty nasty out here in Katy, so I kept waiting. Finally took a ride in the afternoon to Sealy on the backroads but that was it.

Squeaky that was an awesome presentation. I can't believe you guys ran across that 'river' - I maybe would have done it after about 30 minutes of coaxing...maybe. Where was that huge field of bluebonnets, all I got on 159 were mostly yellow flowers.

Squeaky said:
Pictoral Ride Report (best NOT viewed in full-size window)

Squeaky,
Wow, you made it over-night? It is awesome!

Georgia,
The "river" was deeper than I thought. Higher than DR650's foot peg. We got to the bridge in the middle, and found the "river" still continued all the way to the other side, so we took the other way around.

I did not bring my camera for the ride, so some episode only;

- From Brookshire, Squeaky lead us to New Ulm via good twisting road. Some are high speed, some low speed. Wait!? Where is "DIRT"? Yeah, she gave us a dirt road about 30ft long. (and the restaurant parking lot as well...)

- While checking out at the restaurant, the cashier's lady asked me which pie I had. It was just a pie for me (and very good one), but didn't know what it's called. Fortunately, Georgia was there and she knew what I had. What's the name of the pie again Georgia?

- Return trip. Bryan took us many of D/S route. Duke's GS is a great D/S bike, but it seemed a little heavy on dirt. On the way to Independence, now Duke took the lead. He rode the GS on dirt 10 miles faster than we've been doing. How come can you handle that heavy stuff?

- At turns with bad condition, I looked behind to see if Squeaky drops her bike or not. She did not drop the bike at all. Even constantly caught us up. I did not expect that either V-Strom is that much capable to ride on dirt, or Squeaky is that good on dirt.

- I took a flooded river ride to check the depth, hoping it's sparrow enough everybody to go thorough. Then found it was a lot deeper than I thought. Water splash up to my eye height and block my sight. As water level reached to higher than foot peg, water resistance on my feet got very strong and had difficult time just standing up on the peg. I told that to Bryan, then he smiled and told me, "Now I want to go too."

Texas Dr said:
I did not bring my camera for the ride, so some episode only;

- From Brookshire, Squeaky lead us to New Ulm via good twisting road. Some are high speed, some low speed. Wait!? Where is "DIRT"? Yeah, she gave us a dirt road about 30ft long. (and the restaurant parking lot as well...)

- While checking out at the restaurant, the cashier's lady asked me which pie I had. It was just a pie for me (and very good one), but didn't know what it's called. Fortunately, Georgia was there and she knew what I had. What's the name of the pie again Georgia?

- Return trip. Bryan took us many of D/S route. Duke's GS is a great D/S bike, but it seemed a little heavy on dirt. On the way to Independence, now Duke took the lead. He rode the GS on dirt 10 miles faster than we've been doing. How come can you handle that heavy stuff?

- At turns with bad condition, I looked behind to see if Squeaky drops her bike or not. She did not drop the bike at all. Even constantly caught us up. I did not expect that either V-Strom is that much capable to ride on dirt, or Squeaky is that good on dirt.

- I took a flooded river ride to check the depth, hoping it's sparrow enough everybody to go thorough. Then found it was a lot deeper than I thought. Water splash up to my eye height and block my sight. As water level reached to higher than foot peg, water resistance on my feet got very strong and had difficult time just standing up on the peg. I told that to Bryan, then he smiled and told me, "Now I want to go too."
Thanks for the recon across the river, after seeing you make it across I just knew I had to try it. It turned out to be a great day even with all the rain trying to put a damper on the day. I will post all my pic's tonight hopefully, I am going to start mowing the grass.

Texas Dr said:

Thanks for the... um... compliment? I didn't say I was bad at riding dirt, just slow. I'd never want to lead on the soft stuff - I actually preferred running sweep to avoid having to keep an eye out behind me.

I gotta say, Ken, Bryan, and Duke did a pretty good job of keeping an eye on me without making me feel like I was riding the tard cart behind them. I got some help out of a field, I learned you have to spin your back tire in the mud to 'clear it', and I was given help turning around in front of Dirt Road Lake #2 and #3.

I didn't get any pics of the last roadblock. Maybe because we all said no when we saw the swirling white water and weren't sure which way the road went once you got halfway through... I'd PAY to see Ken try that one! :rider:

Texas Dr said:
That's because they promised me it would be mostly pavement. I have not been riding the F650 as a DS bike, but have started venturing offroad a little. It is a lot heavier than the DRZ, but at least I can touch better.

Texas Dr said:

It was buttermilk pecan, or pecan buttermilk.

Texas Dr said:

I guess you forgot, that wasn't me following you...he, he. Squeaky is very capable.

Texas Dr said:

Yeah, I don't think I would have done that, no matter how much coaxing I got.

Hey Bryan, where's your pictures?

Oops sorry I had posted them on the other pie report thread, here they are. It was good to see you Georgia....

Here are my pictures of the voyage, no pics of the pie.
A cool little bridge not far from New Ulm.
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07001.jpg

Squeaky and Duke enjoying themselves..
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07004.jpg

Ken(Texas DR) trying to stay dry.
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07005.jpg

Somewhere between New Ulm and Chappell Hill.
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07007.jpg

yep power ranger foo sure...:lol2:
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07009.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07010.jpg

Duke (R1200GSA) wondering why Squeaky is in the middle of the blue bonnet field.
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07013.jpg

Squeaky slinging mud :lol2:
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07014.jpg

The DR master...
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07015.jpg

It turned out to be a fantastic day..
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07016.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07017.jpg

I believe this was the last river we came to.
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07018.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07020.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07021.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07023.jpg

I think we will stick to the dry roads..
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07026.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07027.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07030.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07031.jpg

DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07032.jpg

Just outside of Independence.
DSNewUlmPieRun3-31-07034.jpg

It was good to see everyone, a perfect way to spend a Saturday.

R1200GSA said:
Me to home safe... more later

Ok, it's later. Where are your pics? :rider:

Squeaky said:
Ok, it's later. Where are your pics? :rider:

Got home and had to quickly get ready for my dinner plans, went out and when we got home I and started to upload to smugmug and went to bed. Sunday morning checked and saw that only 2 pictures made it?????????????

So I tried again.... then drove to Nacogdoches, got home last night and saw that only 6 pictures made it.... now I am getting mad!

So I tried it again and went to bed, and as of this morning it still has not taken all the pictures that I am trying to upload. I restarted when I left for work, and I see that there are more up now.

As I sit here at my desk I also see that not all of them made it again... Maybe it is an issue of my screen saver coming on and knocking out the upload? I don't know. I will get them up eventually. here are the ones uploaded thus far.

Some of the Pictures that I took:

You Wreck It, You Bought it!
140675704-L.jpg

Had a hard time not laughing too hard... But here is Squeaky in the Bluebonnets... took here FOREVER TO GET THIS FAR.... no really.
140682768-L.jpg

And this is why :)
140682945-L.jpg

Seems like we saw a dozen of these... Ken & Bryan really had fun in this one.

Simple Video of Bryan

140518268-L.jpg

140519073-L.jpg

I have more but for some reason SmugMug keeps failing on me. I keep getting the "Connection Reset By Peer Message" I will get them up eventually, but these should tie you over some.

140683350-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back