• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

04 VFR and the amazing disappearing oil

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
This is almost funny:

Changed the oil back in June to MB1 15W-50. Went on a ride in the Hill Country in July about a month after the change and the oil level in the window was about 1/8" down from the top line (it was full at the change). Took a spill in the Hill Country and the bike was in the shop for 4 days. Rode it home from the dealer (I rode it back from the Hill Country after the spill, too 2+ hours) and checked the level-1/8" over full. It remained at the full line for the last month (now 2 months and 1800 miles on the oil in all types of riding). Checked it yesterday and it's about 1/8" down again. I always check it while hot, and I know the weather may be a factor since it's been cooler here lately.

:-|

Oh well. At least I know it's full even if it moves around....

Barometric pressure maybe? :huh: I know that can affect carb float bowls. What about the angle of the bike? It doesn't take much to make a big difference, it's gotten me a few times....

Howdy,

:tab The bike shold be on the centerstand on a level surface, the engine warm, and you need to let it sit for about 5-10 minutes so all the oil can run back down into the pan. There are pretty much only two places where the oil can go, out your exhaust because you are burning it, or on the ground because you are leaking it. Very small amounts may get back into the airbox through the crankcase breather, but under normal circumstances not enough to affect your oil level reading.

:tab Do the 02-04 VFR's have a sightlgass for checking the level or a dipstick?

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
There are pretty much only two places where the oil can go, out your exhaust because you are burning it, or on the ground because you are leaking it.

Or in the coolant 'cause you cracked a head and/or blew a headgasket, but let's just not go there....

Yup-sight glass. I went out with a level and probed around my driveway to find the most level spot. I marked that spot and try to put it there everytime.

The way I check my oil is to ride around (or home from work: 6miles), get it up to temp, put it in the marked spot and wait 15 minutes.

Not seeing any smoke at all, even when cold and snapping the throttle. No drips anywhere or oil smudges.

Also-the level dropped a little from June to July, then when I got the bike back, it was full again (I checked with the dealer and they did not add any). Stayed full until I checked it last night where it had dropped a bit again. So, in a month's time it stayed the same. Seems to me that if it was burning it at all it wouldn't stay full for a month.

:tab If it was in the coolant, you'd be seeing it coming out of the exhaust visibly. I had a Toyota 4 Runner blow a head gasket and it was making huge perfect smoke rings out the exhaust, hehe. It was real cool for a moment or two until the reality of what happened sunk in... :cry:

:tab I would just keep an eye on it. If there are no leaks and no visible exhuast emissions, ther isn't a ton of oil in the airbox, and the bike seems to be running fine, don't worry about it.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab If it was in the coolant, you'd be seeing it coming out of the exhaust visibly.

Depends on where the leak is. In your case, it leaked into the combustion chamber. It can leak between oil and coolant journals also. Depends on the cause of the leak.

Back