• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gps, Shmeeee-ps

Mark G

Reaction score
Finally, after pestering everyone here last year and then dropping it, and then obsessing again a few weeks ago, I bought a GPS unit, thinking it would solve the upside down map issue with SWMBO.

I freaking HATE the thing!!!! I've spent HOURS trying to figure out how to make a route with the PC software, more hours and hours trying to figure out how to make the stupid GPS unit do ANYTHING, and finally got the "simulator" up on the screen. Best I could do, so I mounted it and now ride around with the simulated screen on, so people will think I'm, like, totally hip and technogroovy.

I'm dying to get the nice lady inside it to say something to me, like "turn right," and know it's correct, unlike the nice lady who rides along behind me, who, when she says "turn right," there's at least a 50%, usually more like a 100%, chance I should turn "left." However, I hadda get the GPS because I asked, one time too many, "are you holding the map UPSIDE DOWN? Honey?"

So, if there's ever a GPS seminar, I'm there...the manual is worthless "turn power on." Great, I'm in Taiwan, according to the unit. No further instruction available.

You need a lesson. Typically when it tells you to turn the wrong way, you have selected a waypoint that is a few feet to the right or left of the intersection. Usually because the zoom is too far out. Have you figured out the routing trick whereby you select a beginning and end point then calculate? If you want to change the route, use the arrow tool, click on the segment you want to move and it will turn yellow. Click a second time and a black line from the two closest waypoints will appear. Drag it onto the preferred route the recalculate again. Repeat as needed.

Read this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210758&highlight=arrow

Last edited:
I think he's saying SWMBO says "turn right" when she means "the other right". I don't think the GPS is working at all..

I felt the same way when I got my first GPS. There is a short learning curve. Then all of a sudden it will click. Ask Kurt... He's had almost as many GPS's as he's had bikes :lol2:

Mark, try going to the mfgr's website and finding the full instructions usually will be a pdf file for downloading. Just about everything comes with only a 'quick start guide'. Hey, I found that my hand held calculator skills didn't help much when I was sprung into the new electronic world of computers. I am a 'functional puter user' no thanks to the so called easy help stuff cause they seem to have a different language than me.
So tell us about that gps model you have. Have you gotten it to guide you to the nearest good ride and locate a pie place? :rider: Neal

Tourmeister said:
I felt the same way when I got my first GPS. There is a short learning curve. Then all of a sudden it will click. Ask Kurt... He's had almost as many GPS's as he's had bikes :lol2:

I didn't think that there were that many models!!:giveup:

Regional tech days for GPS users? Man, I could so use that. :doh:
I am in also the same shape, except SWMBO isn't involved. I bought a Garmin Legend eTrex to see if I'd like the GPS thingie. So far it's set in a drawer and I figured out, let's see.....yep, that's about right, absolutely nothing with it yet.

I had the Etrex Legend as well for my first GPS. Mine too sat in a drawer forever. It was just to slow to redraw the screen while panning the pointer across the map. That, and it was painfully slow to transfer map data over the serial cable... I was MUCH happier with my 60CS and the USB transfer!!

A GPS tech session wouldn't be a bad idea, but if we could do it online it would be even better! Any chance we can do a chat with viewable screens or something?

I can feeyul your pain. Get with somebody that will explain how to make your GPS useful in plain English. I had the same experience, but I don't think anybody whose ever ridden a route they programmed would go back to paper maps alone. No way.

Squeaky said:
A GPS tech session wouldn't be a bad idea, but if we could do it online it would be even better! Any chance we can do a chat with viewable screens or something?

Squeaky,

That's a great idea! Do we have someone who is capable of putting together something? If not viewable screens, perhaps a PowerPoint presentation that we could access and chat?

Beach said:
If not viewable screens, perhaps a PowerPoint presentation that we could access and chat?

That's not a bad idea. What version of Mapsource is most often used?

Tourmeister said:
I had the Etrex Legend as well for my first GPS. Mine too sat in a drawer forever. It was just to slow to redraw the screen while panning the pointer across the map. That, and it was painfully slow to transfer map data over the serial cable...
I have had the Etrex Legend Cx for about 6 months now. It sounds to be much improved over its namesake - it uses the USB connection, a micro-SD card, and seems to draw pretty quickly. I have enjoyed it and it was a life saver in San Antonio back in January.

I had previous experience with flight planning software (PFPS/CFPS/FalconView) at work, so working the Garmin MapSource was not much of a problem.

An interactive help session would be beneficial, I think. Especially if folks could have the software running, GPS connected, and a chat window open to ask questions...

Perhaps something like Whoa put together for the safety course. Bring a laptop loaded with Mapsource, have a lecture, then a lab.

The first thing I learned on my GPS was how to turn the sound off , I have problums with a woman telling me where to go , your never lost on a motorcycle anyway , your just scouting new trails .

Sunday while breaking in my new dirt bike HardyBaker and I were on a trail coming down off the side of the Talamena pkw that turned into one of the nastyest trails I have ever ridden . While stopped at one of the few spots where there was room for two bikes to rest without falling over our thoughts were how much furthur does this go and I sure hope we dont have to go back up it . I rememberd I had stuck my GPS in my pocket before we left , no mounts on the new bike . I turned it on and a road appered a few hundred yards ahead of us . After reflecting back on that moment it was probly the most profound moment the GPS has played in my life up to this point . SEYA

Last edited:
Gilk51 said:
I have had the Etrex Legend Cx for about 6 months now. It sounds to be much improved over its namesake - it uses the USB connection, a micro-SD card, and seems to draw pretty quickly. I have enjoyed it and it was a life saver in San Antonio back in January.

I had previous experience with flight planning software (PFPS/CFPS/FalconView) at work, so working the Garmin MapSource was not much of a problem.

An interactive help session would be beneficial, I think. Especially if folks could have the software running, GPS connected, and a chat window open to ask questions...

Mine is the eTrex Legend C, which has the fixed memory, USB connection and came with the Trip & Waypoint Manager CD. I think the base maps are Americas Recreational, IICR

Oh, great, now Rebecca wants to have an ONLINE lesson for dolts who can't figure out how to turn their gps units on. THAT'S gonna work out well for me!!!

Kurt, I got the Garmin 376c. Thinking the nexrad function would be useful. Then I remembered, after I'd installed it on the bike, that my cell phone will show me regional radar.:doh:

I live in central Austin, right near MoPac and Bee Cave Road. I have a big deck. With chairs. If we can find a teacher, I volunteer my deck for this Sunday morning? That'll leave the afternoon for putting the units to use?

Powerpoint? What's that, if you turn the voice prompts off (like I can get them on) there's some sort of new pointer that appears? There's nothing like that on my simulated screen.

Uh-huh. Easter Sunday? Lotsa luck running that past the SOs.

PowerPoint. As in Microsoft. As in inferior to Keynote.

Chirpy said:
Uh-huh. Easter Sunday? Lotsa luck running that past the SOs.

PowerPoint. As in Microsoft. As in inferior to Keynote.

Oh. I din't think of that. Well, if there's a quorum and a teacher, Saturday works, but I'll need an answer pretty quickly, as I have a tentative trip to see the giant dragline outside Elgin planned...with car guys. It's as big as a giant building. Yes, I am a nerd.

Gotta work Sunday, plus some of us need the GPS training first so we could find your place.....;-)

Gilk51 said:

Mark G said:
Oh, great, now Rebecca wants to have an ONLINE lesson for dolts who can't figure out how to turn their gps units on. THAT'S gonna work out well for me!!!

I was thinking that folks who could do all that stuff Chuck says at once (among whom I am not) could probably work a GPS.

Beach said:
Gotta work Sunday, plus some of us need the GPS training first so we could find your place.....;-)

Chicken? Egg? Chicken? Egg?

I can provide analog navigation information.

Back