• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need info from a Givi case user

Lyle

Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Last Name
Gunderson
I've been planning on getting a set of Givi cases for quite a while. Probably an E52 top case and a couple of E460 or E360 cases as side cases. I'd been hoping to get them in time for my next trip out to Texas.

For some reason, I've been focused on the volume capacity, and gave no thought to the weight capacity, until a review in one of the moto mags mentioned that the Givi case they'd been testing was only rated for three pounds. This seemed odd, so I checked the bags I'd been planning on buying, and found:

E52 - 9#
E460 - 3#
E360 4.8#

That's right. The E460 holds 46 liters, but you can supposedly only put three pounds of stuff in it. So what are you supposed to put in it? A goose-down sleeping bag? Popcorn? Wonder bread?

Such low weight limits would mean you could not haul much stuff for a trip. You could not go grocery shopping. A can of chili would be pushing the limits.

So I'm hoping that these are artificially low weight capacities, to keep Italian lawyers happy or to make it easy for Givi to weasel out of warranty claims.

Do you Givi users haul more than this in your cases? Everybody I've spoken with about their Givi cases likes them, but I'd never thought to ask them if the weight limits are real or an issue.

Thanks in advance,

--Lyle

I definitely put more into my case than the manual says... I have a Givi E350, so its a 35 liter. I went to store many times and packed it full of milk and other groceries with no ill effects, had big jog of oil in it, lunch, jacket etc etc... in other words, I overloaded it (based on what the manual says) and never had any problems. YMMV of course.

I've been using Givi luggage for years. I often carry 40lbs+ in my E52 with no issues. I've loaded 25lbs+ in each of my E45 and E36 side cases when touring and had no problems. I did reinforce the rear rack on my GS to make sure it would hold the weight.

If your subframe can take the weight, the boxes and mounts will hold it just fine, in my experience.

I have an e52 and have had no problems loading it up with camera gear, clothes, etc.
Givi is good stuff. I have ridden in torrential rains and havent had a drop of water inside my topbox.

I have put so much stuff in my V46 Top Case that I could hardly lift it onto the bike and have never had a problem with it. Have you looked at the e41's for side cases. I like the idea of the extra Monolock door that allows you to go into the bag to take things out while it is still on the bike.

I am using 2 E460 mounted as side bags loading them up with over 35lbs each and have 20,000+ miles of both balcktop and gravel with no problems so far

I can haul everything for a three day camping trip for "two" in my 52 and my side 36's.

Sleepy Weasel said:
Hey! Hey! Hey! This is easily as offensive as "So easy a caveman could do it."

:angryfire

Oh, dear! And I'd been taught from a very early age, never to tease a weasel!

Actually, I like weasels. I have a framed 8 x 10 of one sitting on my desk right now:

WeaselPic.jpg

The replies so far have been very encouraging! Thanks! I was worried about having to make some drastic wardrobe changes...

--Lyle

bushwhacker said:
I have put so much stuff in my V46 Top Case that I could hardly lift it onto the bike and have never had a problem with it. Have you looked at the e41's for side cases. I like the idea of the extra Monolock door that allows you to go into the bag to take things out while it is still on the bike.

Oh, so there are the combination lock doors (so you can get into the case and snag, for example, your warm gloves) but the whole lid also opens? I guess I missed that point. (D'oh!) I imagined having to drag everything out through the small doors. I presume that the whole lid opens with a key, like most of the other Givi cases?

Thanks,

--Lyle

(I really like your sig!)

Lyle said:
Oh, so there are the combination lock doors (so you can get into the case and snag, for example, your warm gloves) but the whole lid also opens? I guess I missed that point. (D'oh!) I imagined having to drag everything out through the small doors. I presume that the whole lid opens with a key, like most of the other Givi cases?

Thanks,

--Lyle

That is my understanding of the way it works although I have never actually seen one.

Lyle said:
(I really like your sig!)

Thanks.

Back