• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suggestions for NM,AZ,UT, and CO

Eulogite

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Edwards
We are leaving May 7 for a 15-day loop through the above states, in that order. I haven't spent any real time in Arizona or Utah, so suggestions for great roads, camping spots, or must-see/dos, would be appreciated.

I haven't personally ridden it, but I've heard that Hwy 191 in Arizona, running north/south between Clifton and Alpine, is a must-ride road. I read where one rider called it the best motorcycling road in the US. True or not, it sure is high praise.

Hwy 191, Arizona

Last edited:
I did a similar trip in a week a few years ago. We went to the Southern rim of the Grand Canyon, to Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, up through Utah, then across Colorado and back home.

By far the best riding we did was in Utah. In particular was this road:

http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/homepage.html

Enjoy your trip!

Okay, here goes. I've ridden from Clifton to Alpine, well, the other direction. It has absolutely NOTHING on the road I'm about to tell you about. Plus, at the end of this road, it turns to gravel and there's a lake somewhere at the end of it, 16 miles as I recall the sign. I didn't go off the pavement, being I was on a GoldWing. And, boy, was I wishing for my SV on that road! :eek2:

Taking I10 west toward Tucson, you will pass a little town, Bowie. Right where I10 peaks north on the map between Bowie and Wilcox, you'll see yet another 191, not to be confused with 191 at Clifton to Alpine. Take that 191 north. You will take that road north to Swift Trail Junction. Now, you're at the base of the road, 366, that heads up into a small, but quite high mountain range. This road heads something close to 30 miles up into the mountains and the views and the curves are breath taking. Don't run off the road, or at certain points, you'll need a parachute. :lol2: You get up into high alpine forest at the top and the road parallels a high ridge/rim to the end where it turns to gravel. It is absolutely breath taking. You can see the desert floor in the distance and more of the mountain range as it falls off rapidly. If I posted the pix I have of this (I have posted 'em, before) they wouldn't do justice to the actual beauty of this place and the road is the best, curviest road I've ever ridden in Arizona. This is an awesome road! I wanna go back on the SV someday and take the gravel all the way to that lake, maybe tent camp there. It's just beautiful. If I lived around there, I'd spend all my free time in those mountains.

Check Mapquest for Arizona and see where I'm talkin' about. DON'T MISS THIS ROAD! :mrgreen: Everyone does Clifton to Alpine. That's a pretty road, but it's not SQUAT to the road I just described, not even on the same plane with the road I just described. I mean, yeah, do the "Coronado trail" (what 191 Clifton to Alpine is called), too, but just don't miss 366, whatever you do. :trust:

So how would you compare the two roads, Jack?:lol2:

You've sold me on it. I'll even camp at the lake at the end of the gravel road and report back. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I'd suggest riding up to Carlesbad, Artesia, up 285 to 82 to Cloudcroft, then down 70 (very steep 7 degree grade with lots of vistas) to Alamagordo. Take 54 north (stop at Valley of Fires at Carrizozo, interesting) across 380 to I25 and Socorro. Now, take 60 west to 12 at Datil (a service station and a couple of buildings) and down 12 to Reserve. Now, you're getting into the interesting country. You could spend your whole vacation in the Gila Valley/wilderness, White Mountains, Silver City area, but you'll just be moving through. Head on out of Reserve to 180 and take that over to Alpine, now south on 191 to Clifton and on down to I10. Now, you can head up to 366 via 191 as described in the above post. As you get back to 191 off 366, you can head north up 191 to Safford, up 70 west to Globe (pretty alpine country) where you can 60 north to 77 north to get up up into northern Arizona for the rest of your trip. You sure are bypassing some BEAUTIFUL country not seeing the Salt River area and such, but hey, you can't see it all in one trip. I still have a lot of exploring to do out there, myself. Only made 4 trips out there. It's a state with a LOT of beauty that doesn't get much due what with everyone all agog with states like Colorado, but I prefer exploring Arizona to Colorado, myself. There are so many little traveled roads and spots there.

Oh, in Colorado, you'll wanna do the "million dollar highway" along with the rest of the tourists up 550 from Durango/Silverton to Oury. Maybe from there up to Montrose, 50 west through Gunison up over Monark pass and down 285 south to Tres Piedras and east to Taos. Now, another fantastic road out of the mountains through the Cimarron Wilderness, 64 east past Eagle Nest Lake to 58 and on to I25. The point of that route is the road out of Taos to Eagle Nest. That one's worth the side trip. :trust: . I've ridden Utah once, can't help ya much with Utah. I just made the tourist destinations, Mt. Zion and Bryce Canyon parks. They were pretty and must sees, but that's the only area of the state I've been in. I need more seat time out there. :mrgreen:

Jack,

Thanks for the info on 366. Wow! Just looking at it on Yahoo maps it seems amazing.

Hwy 366, Arizona

So many roads, so little time.

Here's a couple of shots of that road. I've got many more. This isn't even near the top, just the beginning and the twisty ride up. Keep talkin' and I'll wanna go, too. :lol2:

1151Img_0020.jpg

5807Img_0022.jpg

:tab First, I HIGHLY recommend you get an annual National Park pass for each of you. I think they are $50. However, at $20 a pop per park, they pay for themselves real fast!! Also, when you reach the entrance, all you have to do is hand them the card and then you get in. You don't have to stop, get out your money, etc,... VERY convenient. The area where you will be riding is CRAMMED full of all kinds of National Parks!!

:tab Second, I would give serious consideration to trailering out to NM on I-40. Unload the bikes there, head into Southwestern NM and Southeastern Az, then start heading North into Utah. Run over into Colorado, then work your way back down to Albuquerque. There are several TWT people in that area (Jeffie Foo Foo, Cycle Cat) and they might be able to keep the truck and trailer while you are off riding. This will save your bodies and tires for the good stuff. And on that last day, you will be GLAD you are in the truck for the haul across West Texas instead of droning along on the bikes for mile after mile!! Been there done that... yay... :roll:

:tab Third, May is a good time to go in terms of low traffic and crowds, and also for low hotel rates because it is not the prime season yet. However, it can be very COLD in the mountains!! I would not be surprised if you get snowed on several times. You will definitely want good cold weather and rain gear! I have been snowed on in the middle of June ;-) I have been rained on pretty much every time I have been. Usually though the rain comes and goes pretty quick. It is not rain for days on end, all day long.

:tab I have spent a LOT of time staring at maps and potentially fun roads. 366 has been high on my list for some years. 191 is a fantastic ride. Part of what is great about it is the length of the ride. Deals Gap is what 11 miles or something? The stretch of 191 between Clifton and Alpine is 94 miles of bliss. We saw ONE other bike and ONE truck in the entire time. Also, the Morenci open pit copper mine is a sight to behold... We did the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert North of Alpine on our way North. Both very cool!

:tab Regarding the Grand Canyon, I would skip the South Rim in favor of the North Rim. MUCH less crowded and better views. Also, the run up US 89 Alt to Jacobs Lake rocks! There is nice camping there as well. The drop into Souther Utah is awesome with great views.

:tab Once in Utah, I would say that Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park are both MUST sees. They are unlike anything you will see anywhere else on the planet!! Make sure you either have a LOT of film or a BIG memory card, whichever the case may be. You will need it! Here is some stuff from our trip out there back in 2001. Hwy 12 and 24 is easily one of the top rides in the country. Not only is the road incredible, the scenery is breathtaking and it changes constantly! It is one of those roads that needs to be done three times: once just to get over the amazement, once for the full on ride, and once to stop and take tons of pics! However, it is NOT a place where you want to risk leaving the pavement!!! Where 12 meets 24, there is the Capitol Reef National Park. Then if you run down Hwy 95 (yet another great ride) there is Natural Bridges National Monument. Hang a right on Hwy 261 and you'll reach the Mokee Dugway plateau drop. Go slow and the gravel is no big deal. The views are worth it! then if you head South on US 163 you will get to see Monument Valley. And if you want to see the Four Corners monument, just head back East on US 160.

:tab We turned North and went back up towards Moab. Tis a VERY cool place with lots to see and do. Got Deadhorse State Park, with a fantastic ride into the park and great views of the Colrado River from on high. There is Arches National Park, Canyon Land National Park, and more. If you go there, be sure to eat at Eddie McStiff's! Mmmm... :eat: They make good beer... :trust: We left and ran Northeast along the Colorado River on Hwy 128 up to I-70 and then scooted the short shot over to Fruita and the exit for the Colorado National Monument. This is another don't miss ride that has always been very popular with the groups I have led in the area.

:tab Okay, since you have 15 days... Wrap your head around the following! Just South of Grand Junction on US 50 you will see Hwy 141. Get gas before you head this way ;-) The run down through the canyons here is incredible. The cliffs are one single piece of rock! The road is twisting and great. Run it South all the way to Hwy 145 at Naturita (gas here). Run 145 South to Telluride, then on down to Cortez. Just East of Cortez on US 160 is the Mesa Verde National Park with the Cliff Dwellings. The road into the park is a blast and the cave dwellings are amazing. After this, keep East on US 160 to Durango. Run US 550 North all the way up through Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway to Montrose. That right there would be a GOOD day ride. If you head East out of Montrose on US 50, there is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and it has some great camping right down on the river at the bottom of the gorge. The road down into the gorge is a 16% grade :eek2: Lotta fun!!

:tab Next run US 50 East to Hwy 92 where you'll cross the Blue Mesa Reservoir Dam. Hwy 92 is another of those spectacular rides of which Colorado has so many! Run 92 all the way up to Hotchkiss and head West. Hit Hwy 65 and Head North over the Grand Mesa (get gas first). If you are wearing any mesh gear, you might want a liner or long sleeve shirt as it gets cool going over the Mesa. Run over the Mesa, through the canyon to I-70. Turn around and run it all the way back to Hwy 92. Yes... It is well worth the time!! Head East back to Hotchkiss and pick up Hwy 133. Get gas first because you DON'T want to buy any in Aspen! Run 133 up to 82, and head North to Glennwood Springs.

:tab I-70 East of Gleenwood Springs is actually a great ride. You just have to see it to understand. Even though it is freeway, the run through Glennwood Canyon is really awesome. A fun dip would be US 24 South then back up Hwy 91 to I-70 again. Keep heading East to Dillon on I-70 and pick up old US 6 East (on South side of I-70) and run this over Loveland Pass, then back down to I-70. I know it sounds like a lot of freeway, but I-70 actually very nice riding in this area. So run I-70 East to Idaho Springs and take Hwy 103 South. Eventually, you'll come to Hwy 5, this will take you into a State Park where you will ride to the top of Mt. Evans. The parking lot is at 14,260 feet... Don't exert yourself up there or you WILL see spots ;-) The ride up and the view is spectacular. Run back down to 103 and head East (becomes Squaw Pass Rd.) You will eventually hit Hwy 74, go North to I-70 and then West back to Old US 6 (Exit 244) and cut back to the East. It hits Hwy 119, Go North. This becomes the Peak to Peak Scenic Highway. Stay on 119 until it becomes Hwy 72 and then take 72 North to Hwy 7. Run 7 North up to Estes Park, and then US 34 West through the Rocky Mountain National Park. Just follow US 34 all the way through the park. Incredible road and views. Watch for roaming wildlife, BIG wildlife ;-) US 34 will hit US 40, go West to Hwy 9 and then cut South back to I-70. Dillon or Frisco have places to stay depending on the time of day you get here.

:tab From Dillon/Frisco, head South on Hwy 9 to US 285. Run 285 all the way down to US 50 and head West on 50. Run 50 West to Hwy 149. Hwy 149 is another of the really popular roads with the groups I have led in that area, so much so that we have often done it several times on the same trip! Stop in Lake City at Poker Alice's for lunch/dinner. The food is incredible! Somewhere in this trip you might want to stop and take a day off from the bikes. This would be a cool place because you can rent ATV's and run up the East side of Engineer's Pass. Well worth the trip! Anyway, back to the route... Run 149 all the way down through Creede to South Fork. This will take you by the headwaters of the Rio Grande river. About half way to Creede, the road opens up into a big high valley. On your left will be a road for North Fork Creek Waterfalls. VERY cool to check out and only takes about 10-15 minutes. South Fork also has decent places to stay.

:tab From South Fork, head West on US 160 back towards Pagosa Springs. Head South on US 84 into New Mexico. Hit US 64 and run East to Taos. Take Hwy 518 South out of Taos to Hwy 75 (go West), then to Hwy 76 (Go SW) all the way down to Hwy 106. Run 106 down to US 285. Then 285 down to Hwy 502 and go West to Hwy 4. Run Hwy 4 West all the way to US 550, then cut South back into Albuquerque.

:tab That is the bulk of the really good stuff. I have personally done all of it except for Hwy 76 Southwest of Taos. You would want to layout the mileage and think about where you want to stop each night based on your average daily mileage. When I run tours out there I generally keep the routes to 300 miles per day. However, we don't start until 9:00am each morning and we usually windup at our next day's destination by 6:00pm. With only two riders you could probably do 350-400 miles/day in some place. A lot of those roads are SERIOUSLY twisty so you can't run a 70mph pace ;-) Also, the LEO in Colorado don't give a lot of leeway so take care to observe the posted limits.

:tab If you have any questions about any particular area in terms of where to stay, things to see, etc,... just let me know. The big problem is that the area where you are going could easily be ridden for weeks on end! I would recommend that you take a day or two off from riding somewhere in all of that. If you are not used to spending back to back long days in the saddle, it can really start to wear you down after 4-5 days in a row.

A lot of those roads are SERIOUSLY twisty so you can't run a 70mph pace Also, the LEO in Colorado don't give a lot of leeway so take care to observe the posted limits.

+1

Last time i saw a LEO in Colorado...He was in hot pursuit of some idiot on a bike headed for the 4 corners :trust: :clap: :-P :lol2:

Thanks, Scott. We have ridden most of the Colorado stuff; I haven't put the pencil to it yet, but you guys have given me some great fodder.

The trailer idea: I understand it makes complete sense, but it's been heresy to me for so long that I don't think I can change until I am physically unable to sit on a bike all day long. I get off on it.

And, Jack, you had me at "Okay,".

My 2 cents, All the AZ rides sre good ones but if you are in the central part of the state. The ride from Wickenburg (NE of PHX) to Prescott then to Sedona to Flaggstaff is a MUST ride. Plus from there you can loop areound to Lake Powell then to southern Utah (Zion and Bryce) plus the Vermillion Cliffs are awesome too. When I lived there the 260 across the Mogollon Rim was always very very nice too. OK maybe 5 cents.

Jeez, I think I could do 2 weeks in just Utah!

Good suggestions already. Trying to do them all will be a whirlwind tour. I would say whittle them down to something you haven't done yet.

Wow! Sounds like fun!

Attachments

• Mon Val 2a.JPG
    Mon Val 2a.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 62
You're right, Stephen. New Mexico is just a place we are passing through to get to Arizona and Colorado is just the way home when we leave Utah. Any layovers or sightseeing/hiking will be done in AZ or UT.

You're right, Stephen. New Mexico is just a place we are passing through to get to Arizona and Colorado is just the way home when we leave Utah. Any layovers or sightseeing/hiking will be done in AZ or UT.

Well geez :doh: I wish I had realized that before I banged out all the stuff above :lol2:

:tab First, I HIGHLY recommend you get an annual National Park pass for each of you. I think they are $50. However, at $20 a pop per park, they pay for themselves real fast!! Also, when you reach the entrance, all you have to do is hand them the card and then you get in. You don't have to stop, get out your money, etc,... VERY convenient. The area where you will be riding is CRAMMED full of all kinds of National Parks!!

:tab Second, I would give serious consideration to trailering out to NM on I-40. Unload the bikes there, head into Southwestern NM and Southeastern Az, then start heading North into Utah. Run over into Colorado, then work your way back down to Albuquerque. There are several TWT people in that area (Jeffie Foo Foo, Cycle Cat) and they might be able to keep the truck and trailer while you are off riding. This will save your bodies and tires for the good stuff. And on that last day, you will be GLAD you are in the truck for the haul across West Texas instead of droning along on the bikes for mile after mile!! Been there done that... yay... :roll:

:tab Third, May is a good time to go in terms of low traffic and crowds, and also for low hotel rates because it is not the prime season yet. However, it can be very COLD in the mountains!! I would not be surprised if you get snowed on several times. You will definitely want good cold weather and rain gear! I have been snowed on in the middle of June ;-) I have been rained on pretty much every time I have been. Usually though the rain comes and goes pretty quick. It is not rain for days on end, all day long.

:tab I have spent a LOT of time staring at maps and potentially fun roads. 366 has been high on my list for some years. 191 is a fantastic ride. Part of what is great about it is the length of the ride. Deals Gap is what 11 miles or something? The stretch of 191 between Clifton and Alpine is 94 miles of bliss. We saw ONE other bike and ONE truck in the entire time. Also, the Morenci open pit copper mine is a sight to behold... We did the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert North of Alpine on our way North. Both very cool!

:tab Regarding the Grand Canyon, I would skip the South Rim in favor of the North Rim. MUCH less crowded and better views. Also, the run up US 89 Alt to Jacobs Lake rocks! There is nice camping there as well. The drop into Souther Utah is awesome with great views.

:tab Once in Utah, I would say that Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park are both MUST sees. They are unlike anything you will see anywhere else on the planet!! Make sure you either have a LOT of film or a BIG memory card, whichever the case may be. You will need it! Here is some stuff from our trip out there back in 2001. Hwy 12 and 24 is easily one of the top rides in the country. Not only is the road incredible, the scenery is breathtaking and it changes constantly! It is one of those roads that needs to be done three times: once just to get over the amazement, once for the full on ride, and once to stop and take tons of pics! However, it is NOT a place where you want to risk leaving the pavement!!! Where 12 meets 24, there is the Capitol Reef National Park. Then if you run down Hwy 95 (yet another great ride) there is Natural Bridges National Monument. Hang a right on Hwy 261 and you'll reach the Mokee Dugway plateau drop. Go slow and the gravel is no big deal. The views are worth it! then if you head South on US 163 you will get to see Monument Valley. And if you want to see the Four Corners monument, just head back East on US 160.

:tab We turned North and went back up towards Moab. Tis a VERY cool place with lots to see and do. Got Deadhorse State Park, with a fantastic ride into the park and great views of the Colrado River from on high. There is Arches National Park, Canyon Land National Park, and more. If you go there, be sure to eat at Eddie McStiff's! Mmmm... :eat: They make good beer... :trust: We left and ran Northeast along the Colorado River on Hwy 128 up to I-70 and then scooted the short shot over to Fruita and the exit for the Colorado National Monument. This is another don't miss ride that has always been very popular with the groups I have led in the area.

:tab Okay, since you have 15 days... Wrap your head around the following! Just South of Grand Junction on US 50 you will see Hwy 141. Get gas before you head this way ;-) The run down through the canyons here is incredible. The cliffs are one single piece of rock! The road is twisting and great. Run it South all the way to Hwy 145 at Naturita (gas here). Run 145 South to Telluride, then on down to Cortez. Just East of Cortez on US 160 is the Mesa Verde National Park with the Cliff Dwellings. The road into the park is a blast and the cave dwellings are amazing. After this, keep East on US 160 to Durango. Run US 550 North all the way up through Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway to Montrose. That right there would be a GOOD day ride. If you head East out of Montrose on US 50, there is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and it has some great camping right down on the river at the bottom of the gorge. The road down into the gorge is a 16% grade :eek2: Lotta fun!!

:tab Next run US 50 East to Hwy 92 where you'll cross the Blue Mesa Reservoir Dam. Hwy 92 is another of those spectacular rides of which Colorado has so many! Run 92 all the way up to Hotchkiss and head West. Hit Hwy 65 and Head North over the Grand Mesa (get gas first). If you are wearing any mesh gear, you might want a liner or long sleeve shirt as it gets cool going over the Mesa. Run over the Mesa, through the canyon to I-70. Turn around and run it all the way back to Hwy 92. Yes... It is well worth the time!! Head East back to Hotchkiss and pick up Hwy 133. Get gas first because you DON'T want to buy any in Aspen! Run 133 up to 82, and head North to Glennwood Springs.

:tab I-70 East of Gleenwood Springs is actually a great ride. You just have to see it to understand. Even though it is freeway, the run through Glennwood Canyon is really awesome. A fun dip would be US 24 South then back up Hwy 91 to I-70 again. Keep heading East to Dillon on I-70 and pick up old US 6 East (on South side of I-70) and run this over Loveland Pass, then back down to I-70. I know it sounds like a lot of freeway, but I-70 actually very nice riding in this area. So run I-70 East to Idaho Springs and take Hwy 103 South. Eventually, you'll come to Hwy 5, this will take you into a State Park where you will ride to the top of Mt. Evans. The parking lot is at 14,260 feet... Don't exert yourself up there or you WILL see spots ;-) The ride up and the view is spectacular. Run back down to 103 and head East (becomes Squaw Pass Rd.) You will eventually hit Hwy 74, go North to I-70 and then West back to Old US 6 (Exit 244) and cut back to the East. It hits Hwy 119, Go North. This becomes the Peak to Peak Scenic Highway. Stay on 119 until it becomes Hwy 72 and then take 72 North to Hwy 7. Run 7 North up to Estes Park, and then US 34 West through the Rocky Mountain National Park. Just follow US 34 all the way through the park. Incredible road and views. Watch for roaming wildlife, BIG wildlife ;-) US 34 will hit US 40, go West to Hwy 9 and then cut South back to I-70. Dillon or Frisco have places to stay depending on the time of day you get here.

:tab From Dillon/Frisco, head South on Hwy 9 to US 285. Run 285 all the way down to US 50 and head West on 50. Run 50 West to Hwy 149. Hwy 149 is another of the really popular roads with the groups I have led in that area, so much so that we have often done it several times on the same trip! Stop in Lake City at Poker Alice's for lunch/dinner. The food is incredible! Somewhere in this trip you might want to stop and take a day off from the bikes. This would be a cool place because you can rent ATV's and run up the East side of Engineer's Pass. Well worth the trip! Anyway, back to the route... Run 149 all the way down through Creede to South Fork. This will take you by the headwaters of the Rio Grande river. About half way to Creede, the road opens up into a big high valley. On your left will be a road for North Fork Creek Waterfalls. VERY cool to check out and only takes about 10-15 minutes. South Fork also has decent places to stay.

:tab From South Fork, head West on US 160 back towards Pagosa Springs. Head South on US 84 into New Mexico. Hit US 64 and run East to Taos. Take Hwy 518 South out of Taos to Hwy 75 (go West), then to Hwy 76 (Go SW) all the way down to Hwy 106. Run 106 down to US 285. Then 285 down to Hwy 502 and go West to Hwy 4. Run Hwy 4 West all the way to US 550, then cut South back into Albuquerque.

:tab That is the bulk of the really good stuff. I have personally done all of it except for Hwy 76 Southwest of Taos. You would want to layout the mileage and think about where you want to stop each night based on your average daily mileage. When I run tours out there I generally keep the routes to 300 miles per day. However, we don't start until 9:00am each morning and we usually windup at our next day's destination by 6:00pm. With only two riders you could probably do 350-400 miles/day in some place. A lot of those roads are SERIOUSLY twisty so you can't run a 70mph pace ;-) Also, the LEO in Colorado don't give a lot of leeway so take care to observe the posted limits.

:tab If you have any questions about any particular area in terms of where to stay, things to see, etc,... just let me know. The big problem is that the area where you are going could easily be ridden for weeks on end! I would recommend that you take a day or two off from riding somewhere in all of that. If you are not used to spending back to back long days in the saddle, it can really start to wear you down after 4-5 days in a row.

+1 for me, I have ridden most of the roads meantioned above and would highly recomend all of them......good job Tourmeister.

::tab Third, May is a good time to go in terms of low traffic and crowds, and also for low hotel rates because it is not the prime season yet. .

There is gonna be one exception to that this year. If you're in the area of Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP be aware of a MC event in Torrey Utah.

The www.BMWST.com folks are having their annual Spring event on May 17-20 in Torrey using the Chuck Wagon as HQ. This year it's being used as a memorial ride for a fallen member and they have the entire town booked up.

Great if you want to ride through and visit with a bunch of like minded riders, but bad if you're looking for a place to stay. Day before or the day after will be fine.

Just an FYI if your schedule puts you there about that time.

Last time I went out there, we booked rooms in a motel in Kanab, southern Utah, and rode to the north rim, Bryce, and Mt. Zion from there. I can't remember the name of the motel, but it has been there for a while and used by Hollywood film makers when on location filming mostly westerns. Rooms where stars stayed are labeled with their names. There was one with John Wayne on it, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., etc. Quite a few motels there and good restaurants. Not far from the Arizona line if you want beer, too. :mrgreen:

I'll echo what Jack recommended. All are excellent. I also agree on buying the 50 annual park pass. But, take it from me, don't lose the pass. They don't keep records that you bought it so a lost pass is lost access. You have to buy another pass.

I second 191, it used to be called 666. I'm going to try and post a picture from 12 years ago (on my RF900RR -- **** of a sport tourer) when I was on that road and there was black ice and friggin snow! It was late May and we hit a nice cold front, but thanks to global warning you shouldn't have an issue..... Actually kidding aside bring cold weather gear as there may actually still be snow in the higher elevations..burrrr!

Bonus... it was fun to watch some of those huge mining dump trucks outside of Chiffton (its a mining town).

If you can spin off to Sedona that is fun and very scenic.. take Az 89 alt and the 525 loop is nice too.

Good luck and have fun!

Holy cow! You must have stolen my vacation plans!!!:-P I am leaving on May 8th for 15 days through NM, AZ, UT and CO on my wing!!!! This will be my second time to make this loop, first big trip on bike for my wife. (She is really getting impatient.)

We are leaving home and heading out on I10 to Deming. Then from there head up through Alpine/Clifton. (I've been through there in my pickup in the past and thought it would be a really nice ride on a bike!) After that we head for Zion National Park for a few days, then over to Durango, down to Taos, then to Ruidoso/Cloudcroft, then back home.

If you make it to Durango, make sure to do the loop that goes up through Silverton (not sure of the road names at the moment). There are some awesome sights on that road! A good place to hit there too is the Durango Mountain Resort (used to be the Purgatory ski area). They are open in the summer and you can take one of the ski lifts up to the top of the mountain for a really nice view. They also have a good restaurant there with nice cold beer and friendly bar keeps.

I've got a few of the Durango/Silvertoon loop road photos posted at http://draco.as.utexas.edu/ward/vacations/MotoTrip1/day3/ (start around image 420)

Cheers,
Mike

I second 191, it used to be called 666. I'm going to try and post a picture from 12 years ago (on my RF900RR -- **** of a sport tourer) when I was on that road and there was black ice and friggin snow! It was late May and we hit a nice cold front, but thanks to global warning you shouldn't have an issue..... Actually kidding aside bring cold weather gear as there may actually still be snow in the higher elevations..burrrr!

Bonus... it was fun to watch some of those huge mining dump trucks outside of Chiffton (its a mining town).

If you can spin off to Sedona that is fun and very scenic.. take Az 89 alt and the 525 loop is nice too.

Good luck and have fun!

Yeah, I followed a snow plow out of Alpine first 20 miles when I rode it, too. They had 6" up there late April. I was on the way back from Laughlin, NV, the "River Run". Laughlin I could have lived without except for meeting some folks I'd been talking to on the net there.

That road is on again, off again as far as its state of repair goes, too. But, the views are nice. I was tip toeing down that road all the way until I got down low enough that it turned to rain.

For AZ... gosh, I don't know where to start... 191 has been covered, and I've heard good things about Jack's suggestion, 366. Are you looking for curves, or just cool sights? Fast or slow?

Faster roads worth trying:
1) 87 (AKA Beeline) between Payson and Phoenix is really nice for a major Highway, I prefer it travelling south. 4 lanes, but some fantasic sweepers.
2) 60 is also really nice, a bit tighter than 87 and only 2 lanes. Best sections are between Superior and Globe, and Globe and Show Low (the Salt River Canyon area in particular).
3) 188, connecting 60 and 87. 2 lane, also best travelled from north to south.
4) 89 from Wickenburg to Flagstaff. 2 lane, and I'd say either direction is equal. Jerome is a nice stop.
5) 77 south out of Globe.
6) 264 from Gallup to Tuba City is different as it passes through Navajo country. There are many interesting combinations and options in the Navajo area. This is a surreal and desloate area, so if you like that sort of thing (I do), you'll dig it. Some other good roads further northeast, if you are going that way, include 59 which joins 160 east of Kayenta, and 7, which runs through the south side of Canyon de Chelly Nat. Mon.

Slower roads (some have improved dirt, but street bikes will be fine):
1) FR545, NE of Flagstaff. All paved, best travelled from south to north, makes an arc off of 89. Cuts through Sunset Crater Nat. Mon. and Wapatki Nat. Mon.
2) 88 (aka Apache Trail), out of Apache Junction (east Phoenix area). I love this road, but if your there on the weekend, expect heavy traffic on the paved part, as it follows the Salt river and its string of dammed lakes. The twisty paved bits are fantastic, and the scenery along the the improved dirt portion are worth getting your tires dirty.
3) 288 (aka Globe-Young/ Young-Heber Hwy) Between 260 and 188. Definitley Travel south on this one! From the north off 260 it begins as an all-weather road, then mysteriously becomes the most fantastic pavement a few miles before Young. After Young it becomes smooth dirt and intermittent pavement until a few miles before you get to Roosevelt Lake near 188. This is a beautiful ride, and there are many hidden treasures (waterfalls etc) accessible from the route.
4) Another mostly dirt (smooth dirth) road worth trying is FR300, aka "Rim Road", that follows along the Mogollon Rim. The road connects 260 (near 288/Young-Heber) and 87 NE of Strawberry.
5) The Perified Forest road. Tourist road, but a must ride if you're in the area.

If you don't mind some other easy dirt roads, I have many suggestions.

Back