• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mena Arkansas Suggestions....

Reaction score
Some buddies from work and myself are planning a three day trip to Mena in late May.

One of the fellas already has the route there and back planned and I am supposed to plan our day of riding while there.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for roads/routes that branch off of the Talihemena (spelling?) trail. Ideally I would like to start the day hitting that road and then finish the day by going back over it into Mena.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Definitely head OUT of mena in the morning and back in the evening, not the other way around. Otherwise you'll end up going into the sun as you go up the trail like I had too. Not cool! :doh:

Have fun, there's some great scenery up there!

Some buddies from work and myself are planning a three day trip to Mena in late May.

One of the fellas already has the route there and back planned and I am supposed to plan our day of riding while there.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for roads/routes that branch off of the Talihemena (spelling?) trail. Ideally I would like to start the day hitting that road and then finish the day by going back over it into Mena.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Come to a Thursday coffee and there will be plenty of folks that can give you route suggestions. This group is well versed in that area.

Pete

123!!! I don't know if it is a hwy, or a byway, or a RR or an FM for something else. But look for 123 and then go ride it. It's better than the Pig Trail IMHO.

just to the northeast of Mena is Mt. Magazine - go there.
Thats a good suggestion.

Its about 200mi round trip from LR to Magazine.

Oh, don't go up Magazine Mt when its looking like its going to rain and drop 20* in half and hr :argh:

Come to a Thursday coffee and there will be plenty of folks that can give you route suggestions. This group is well versed in that area.

Pete

I would love to...but my workday starts at 0600 on Thursday and ends at 1800.

You're doing the Talimena Drive I assume. (Talihina to Mena)
We always stay in Talihina at the Kiamichi Inn. A dumpy little (but cheap & clean) place. Good (but pot holes) parking lot for sitting & talking & sipping. Alley Bar (locals) about 100 feet down the alley. Nightlife is a priority with our group. Mena has none that we've ever found so we always stay in Talihina.

Back