• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Parking on Texas A&M Campus

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
I'm headed down to TAMU this Sunday and was wondering where I can park a bike without risking a ticket from the campus cops. I've heard that parking rules are not enforced on the weekends, but can anyone who actually rides there verify that?

Back in the Paleozoic era (late 70's) you could park anywhere after 5pm. Last time I was down there, I parked in a permit area after 7pm, and got a ticket for no permit. That was in a cage, though.

Don't park your bike in a garage. Even though there are no signs saying no motorcycles allowed, they will ticket you. I think there are 4 paid parking spots for bikes in front of the MSC.

yeah there are 4 paid spots near the MSC, but you will end up running up a pretty large parking bill.(1.00 an hour)

For cages you can park in staff lots after 5 wiht a valid permit, thats it. PTTS will ticket bikes without permits in the motorcycle parking tho(i've even got a ticket with a properly displayed MC permit)

Your best bet might be to park accross the street on northgate and walk over.

-Kellan

I went to A&M, on the bike, this past summer, to pick up my daughter from swim camp. I parked in a garage and got chewed out as I was leaving. They were suprized that I did not recieve a ticket. As I was leaving I saw several bikes parked to the left(when looking at the front door) of the building with the swimming pools in it, I believe it was the student rec center.

Back in the Paleozoic era (late 70's) you could park anywhere after 5pm. Last time I was down there, I parked in a permit area after 7pm, and got a ticket for no permit. That was in a cage, though.

Yep, pre-paleozoic here. :lol2: When a freshman/sophomore in Davis/Gary I had to park out by Kyle field during the week and come friday night I'd go get my car and move it behind the dorm.

I just DARE 'em to put a ticket on my vehicle now. :rofl: Yeah, what are they gonna do, keep me from graduating or something? :rofl:

I'm headed down to TAMU this Sunday and was wondering where I can park a bike without risking a ticket from the campus cops. I've heard that parking rules are not enforced on the weekends, but can anyone who actually rides there verify that?

Unless they changed thing since Dec '03, you don't need a parking permit during the weekends. Just stay away from the 24-hr reserved spots. Although if you're riding there, then you'd prolly have to park in the motorcycle designated spots. I only had a bike during my last semester there and had the parking permit.

EDIT: I looked it up on TAMU website: http://transport.tamu.edu/parking/night.aspx

"No permit is required in unrestricted or plain marked spaces on Saturday, Sunday, or days when the University is officially closed"
So...stay away from 24-hr spots, and the reserved lots (yellow and blue if I remember). You should be fine on the motorcycle lot if you;re riding.

I parked at the first lot on Houston Sunday evening and ate dinner at Dixie Chicken. No tickets.

Thanks for all the great information. That link had an excellent campus map of the parking areas - just what I was looking for. I had to look up what the "PTTS" was. Back in the day, they were the "KK" - Kampus Kops. We had a motorcycle that was used by several of us at the dorm. There was no sticker on it, and it accumulated nearly a hundred tickets over the course of a couple of years. Glad it wasn't mine! The guy who owned it dropped out, so I doubt the tickets were of much concern to him.

Back when motorcycles were steam powered (~1982) I got a ticket riding my MC on the sidewalk near Zackary.

I explained to the cop that I was parked in the "MARKED motorcycle parking area" that was about 100 feet away from where I was stopped. I asked him how could *anyone* park in the marked MC parking area WITHOUT driving on the sidewalk. He could not answer that, but still cited me for riding on the sidewalk.

I fought the ticket. At the on campus traffic court the 'judge' pulled out a very very detailed map of where the ticket was given. I pointed to the MC parking space and asked 'how do you park in that MC lot WITHOUT driving on the sidewalk.'

He said he didn't know. The ticket was not about the MC lot it was about me driving on the sidewalk.

Lesson learn: Some people of power make stupid rules and enforce them because their stupid boss pays them to not to consider reason. It is hard to be smarted than stupid people that have power.

Back