• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suggestions please.

Loyd

Reaction score
Starting again to peice the trackbike back into streetduty. I installed a couple fairings to discover 18month old ducktape residue. I've tried spray silicone, wd40, even injector cleaner and nothing is making that goo give an inch...

Any/all suggestions appreciated. May wind up hitting it with sander and repainting to match trackbody for grins alone...

If the Goof Off lets you down, you might give lighter fluid a shot. I used it to remove the glue left from the decals on the side fairings.

If the Goof Off lets you down, you might give lighter fluid a shot. I used it to remove the glue left from the decals on the side fairings.

+1 on the lighter fluid(Naptha). It works pretty well and I haven't found anything that it will hurt. I've also used Gumout Carb & Choke Cleaner which really, really works but you have to be careful what you put it on. It will remove some paint and etch some plastics so test it first.

If you're not worried about the paint try plain old brake cleaner. It will strip off about anything.

05037a.jpg

You might also try "GOO GONE" sold at Home Depot etc... I suggest having a full roll of paper towels handy, and be ready to use all of them, along with a plastic scraper or spatula to remove the bulk of the residue. Making more than one swipe with the same towel just smears it around. Wear disposable gloves if you have them.

thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes...man I wish I could ride...

try finger nail polish remover, or asetone [if you're not too worried about the paint]

try finger nail polish remover, or asetone [if you're not too worried about the paint]

Yes watch which nail polish remover if it has acetone it will damage your paint from what I have heard.

On VSRI a guy suggested nail polish remover and the guy used the acetone version and now he is having to repaint his fairing.

Went with goofoff2. Worked great. Some of the tougher areas I simply sprayed and left rag moistened with goofoff2 laying over for an hour or so and the gum wiped right away.
One step closer to riding. Thanks fellows.

Albie, Yam's are nice but not fo' me. I was thinking of a busa...then I remembered yours.:-P

I've heard that a heat gun works well, to soften things up a bit...

1a7bbdd5.jpg

Last edited:
Brake fluid will remove any paint nearly and won't attack most plastics like some of the above chemicals just test on a small area first afterwards plan on washing 2 or 3 times with a strong detergent/degreaser to remove all residue or the paint will lift after it drys
SRAD

Back