• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Street Speed for '08? Mmmmm.

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
triumph675streetspeed.jpg

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/03/29/triumph-street-speed-675/

'spose to be based on the Daytona 675. :trust:

Last edited:
There's goes any chance of my getting a 599 or 919 :drool:

Quick, somebody call Tony at Eurosport and confirm this!

I just saw a refreshed S3 at first but then noticed the swing arm and frame. Looks pretty sharp.

They need a 1050 version of the 675 more than the street speed 675. Why do that when the 1050 speed triple is already the bike to have for that style? Would it be worth saving 1000 bucks over? I don't think so.

They need a 1050 version of the 675 more than the street speed 675. Why do that when the 1050 speed triple is already the bike to have for that style? Would it be worth saving 1000 bucks over? I don't think so.

it is not the money. It is the rider, especially the European rider. First they have tiered licenses, second I was surprised at the number of new riders on Tiger1050.com who had concerns about the engine size and hp numbers of the new Tiger.

I know this is hard to believe here in the good ole US of A where we now think that if you do not have at least a liter for a sport bike and at least 1500cc for a cruiser then you just can not ride with the big boys, but there are some people in the world who are actually concerned with the power of the bike.

ditto. that was the exact reason i had a speed four for my first bike, and was concerned about the 100hp it had. also it is a cheap bike to insure. i wanted a sprint but was afraid of the torque of a liter bike. heck, it still scares me 3 years later...

A Daytona 1050 will be out as well ;-)

Daytona_1050.jpg

Last edited:
Longing for something new? ;)

Always, man, but the inn is full..

But. :yawn:

We have our name on the list to get our metal building built now.

30 X 50 baby.

VACANCY!!!!! :trust:

Not really, new house first then maybe a new scoot. :zen:

Always, man, but the inn is full..

But. :yawn:

We have our name on the list to get our metal building built now.

30 X 50 baby.

VACANCY!!!!! :trust:

Not really, new house first then maybe a new scoot. :zen:
you know its not Italian right? ;)

can anyone explain to me the object jutting out of the frame right in front of where the riders knees would be? Decoration? Slider of some sort?

But **** I want one...my next bike possibly...

can anyone explain to me the object jutting out of the frame right in front of where the riders knees would be? Decoration? Slider of some sort?

But **** I want one...my next bike possibly...

I think maybe that's the radiator across the front you're talking about? Otherwise, I think your knees would only be about the middle of the tank or just a little forward of that.

yeah that could be it... just seems a little too far out to the sides. I didnt think there was a clearance issue tho, just looked awkward to me...

Maybe a different view might help tho too.

I still like it mostly

it is not the money. It is the rider, especially the European rider. First they have tiered licenses, second I was surprised at the number of new riders on Tiger1050.com who had concerns about the engine size and hp numbers of the new Tiger.
First, we live in the USA where we don't have the tiered system, so the dispacement concern doesn't apply. As for the Tiger, it's always been a poorly balanced, top heavy, ill handling beast, so yes, a large displacement engine in such a package is a detriment when they should have redesigned the bike to be a better package.

I know this is hard to believe here in the good ole US of A where we now think that if you do not have at least a liter for a sport bike and at least 1500cc for a cruiser then you just can not ride with the big boys, but there are some people in the world who are actually concerned with the power of the bike.
You're making the assumption that all liter bikes have to come with 160 RWHP. You can make a 1050 cc bike have a very controllable 80 RWHP with great torque and a very smooth powerband all the way across the rev range and not have to break 6500 rpm. Now THAT is a great street engine. It's all in the state of tune. Plenty of great street bikes around the 1000cc mark that are not insanely powered.

What doesn't make a great street bike is anything that you must rev to 10,000 rpm plus to go anywhere. It doesn't make sense for the street and all it does is wear out the engine quicker mandating an expensive rebuild as well as PO the people who hate exhaust noise. High revs from a 600-675 is REALLY annoying. What would a street speed 675 make? 80 RWHP max? Thats a good figure for anyone of any skill level but not if you have to hit 13k rpm to get it.

The fact that Triumph wants to add a Daytona 1050 in the same vein of the 675 dictates that it must have a powerful 1050, moreso than the speed triple, probably 125 RWHP as opposed to 107 RWHP.

My X1 and R1100S, 1203cc and 1085cc repectively, both make 85 RWHP on the current reformulated gas. Both are mild power, easily controlable bikes and are great for the street. They'll also last a long time. It's all in the state of tune, not so much the ccs.

First, we live in the USA where we don't have the tiered system, so the dispacement concern doesn't apply. As for the Tiger, it's always been a poorly balanced, top heavy, ill handling beast, so yes, a large displacement engine in such a package is a detriment when they should have redesigned the bike to be a better package.

You're making the assumption that all liter bikes have to come with 160 RWHP. You can make a 1050 cc bike have a very controllable 80 RWHP with great torque and a very smooth powerband all the way across the rev range and not have to break 6500 rpm. Now THAT is a great street engine. It's all in the state of tune. Plenty of great street bikes around the 1000cc mark that are not insanely powered.

What doesn't make a great street bike is anything that you must rev to 10,000 rpm plus to go anywhere. It doesn't make sense for the street and all it does is wear out the engine quicker mandating an expensive rebuild as well as PO the people who hate exhaust noise. High revs from a 600-675 is REALLY annoying. What would a street speed 675 make? 80 RWHP max? Thats a good figure for anyone of any skill level but not if you have to hit 13k rpm to get it.

The fact that Triumph wants to add a Daytona 1050 in the same vein of the 675 dictates that it must have a powerful 1050, moreso than the speed triple, probably 125 RWHP as opposed to 107 RWHP.

My X1 and R1100S, 1203cc and 1085cc repectively, both make 85 RWHP on the current reformulated gas. Both are mild power, easily controlable bikes and are great for the street. They'll also last a long time. It's all in the state of tune, not so much the ccs.

First my comments about liter bikes and big bore cruisers were generalizations and obviously not universally applicable but if you have ever been on Westheimer on Saturday night or at the ROT rally you will readily see that, while not universally applicable, they do apply to a large number of today's US riders.

More importantly, my comment on the tiered system and the main point I was trying to make was that the US is not the only market in the world and in a lot of areas the smaller displacement is more appealing. I think that is the market Triumph is after with this bike. They made the Rocket III for the US market.

Here are the top sellers in Europe and while there are some exceptions most are in the 600-750 range -

French motorcycle magazine Moto Journal published an interesting statistics on the top 5 sales of motorcycles of the top 5 European countries. It shows which big motorcycles are sold where.

The country with the biggest sales is Italy, followed by Germany, France, UK and Spain.

Italy
1. Yamaha 600 Fazer/FZ6 - 10,834
2. Honda 600 Hornet - 8,217
3. Kawasaki Z750 - 5,149
4. Honda CBR 600 RR - 4,421
5. BMW R1200GS - 4,095

Germany
1. BMW R1200GS - 6,779
2. Honda CBF 600 - 4,859
3. Suzuki Bandit 650 - 3,420
4. Yamaha 600 Fazer/FZ6 - 3,286
5. Suzuki GSX-R 1000 - 2,947

France
1. Kawasaki Z750 - 7,160
2. Yamaha 600 Fazer/FZ6 - 6,474
3. Suzuki Bandit 650 - 5,475
4. Suzuki SV 650 - 3,420
5. Honda Hornet 600 - 2,687

UK
1. Suzuki GSX-R 1000 - 2,534
2. Kawasaki ZX-6R - 2,213
3. Honda CBR 1000 RR - 2,083
4. BMW R1200GS - 1,980
5. Yamaha R1 - 1,936

Spain
1. Yamaha 600 Fazer/FZ6 - 5,421
2. Suzuki GSX-R 600 - 2,988
3. Honda CBR 600 RR - 2,893
4. Honda CBF 250 - 2,778
5. Suzuki Bandit 650 - 2,425

Top 5 of the Top 5

Which makes the top 5 of the top 5 countries:
1. Yamaha Fazer/FZ6 - 26,015
2. BMW R1200GS - 12,854
3. Kawazaki Z750 - 12,309
4. Suzuki Bandit 650 - 11,320
5. Honda Hornet 600 - 10,904

As for the Tiger, it's always been a poorly balanced, top heavy, ill handling beast, so yes, a large displacement engine in such a package is a detriment when they should have redesigned the bike to be a better package.
By all accounts - and judging by my own test ride - the new Tiger is a much improved motorcycle that is an extremely good package - comfortable, smooth, torquey and agile. Have you ridden one?

You can make a 1050 cc bike have a very controllable 80 RWHP with great torque and a very smooth powerband all the way across the rev range and not have to break 6500 rpm. Now THAT is a great street engine.
Not all of us would agree. Anyway, the 1050 Sprint/Speed Triple/Tiger has a smooth, torquey powerband and still makes upwards of 100 rwhp. Nothing else makes a flatter torque curve than the 1050 triple, and that makes for very linear, controllable power.

What would a street speed 675 make? 80 RWHP max? Thats a good figure for anyone of any skill level but not if you have to hit 13k rpm to get it.
I'm betting on 90-95 rwhp. The Daytona 675 already makes 105, and the consensus is that it makes much better low-to-mid rpm power than anything else in the 600 category, and even compares favorably to the GSXR 750. The current crop of Triumph triples have shown an ability to punch above their weight class in that respect.

Because of the tiered system, it's only natural that the middleweights will be the most popular sellers. And with their petrol prices, anything that's miserly in consumption will naturally be a hit. If they paid $5 less per gallon and didn't have a tiered licensing system, would they want more cc's? Probably. Ever try riding up some roads in the Dolomites coming out of Venizia or into the hills of Spain out of the Mediterranean coastal region of Villamora? Need cc's to do it.

In the 4 years I'd lived in Europe and visited every country there, pre and post-EU, I can say that European riders tend to be more skilled as a whole. Not nearly as many incompetent lifestylers as there are in the US. They take riding more seriously. The James Coney Island scene in the Galleria area, is as you impied, a joke when it comes to rider skill. ROT too. I don't feel safe being amongst those attendees.

The tiered licensing and cost of fuel has forced manufacturers to build Euro only models that we will never get here. Gas here is 1/3 the cost. We still complain about it but I don't mind getting 35 mpg as opposed to 45 mpg if I'm allowed to have a little more oomph on tap for my irresponsible moods.:twisted:

That said, we need a more thorough MSF course. I ws a rider-coach for 1.5 years and never felt I was doing enough for the students. The Calgary Safety Council (their version) is 2 more days and pushes the students much harder.

Back