• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW Weather... Too Close!

Yeeha! Stephen

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
:eek2: Whew that was close!

The Tornado that hit Haltom City went right behind the BMW shop and by my house! Looks like it was running the Railway Express tracks.

I went out side to see if I could get a photo and get on the news... Stupid.

When the wind changed from outflow to inflow, a Debris Cloud started moving toward our neighborhood! Just like on TV, I could see stuff being sucked up into the air.

I ran in the house and put on a leather MC jacket and my helmet and went back outside. By that time the debris cloud was moving well past my house and headed into Euless. I never did see the actual funnel, it was rain wrapped. Rats, no news fame for me. Man, that thing was moving!

Just a 1/4 to 1/2 mile farther North and I'll bet we would be doing clean-up in my neighborhood too. :giveup:

No thanks... I'll pass from now on.

sounds like the tornado sirens went off on campus and I went to the yard while everyone else was running for basements :loco:

I've seen tornado's and I know i don't want one running through my house! :nono:

Wait, he wasn't the same "trained professional" that duct taped his visor shut and went after the bee hive, was he? :scratch:

LOL, I guess they thought it might head up 26 from Haltom City to Grapevine.

I was driving through the usual afternoon traffic going home, dark and stormy and moving slow and I kept hearing this noise... Well I drove about 20 blocks and I still heard it like someone was blowing their horn.. Took me a few more blocks before I cracked the window and realized it was the tornado warning siren in the middle of town going off. :eek2:

About that time the golf ball hail started up....

And stopped just I got the mower and such out of the way and pulled the truck inside the garage. :lol2:

I've been really really close to tornados before, no need to see one that close again thank you very much.

I was watching channel 11 news tonight and saw that they had some amateur video of the tornado passing over the shooters neighborhood (Trinity and Precinct Line area). The large red house that he was shooting for a majority of time is right across the street from my brothers house. My parent's house is in the same neighborhood. My house is in the same neighborhood. I also got quite a bit of hail damage to the Fit while it sat in the parking lot at work.

My SO was at a Care Now in Mesquite when it blew through there...she looked outside and went back to the desk and told them they should change from the cartoons on their tv to the news....after they changed channels, they moved everyone to the back of the building to the bathrooms for 30 minutes. She said it looked like it was on rails going down I-30 east. She's hard to scare, but she said she was on the verge..what looked like funnels from the wall cloud before she went back in.

And where am I during all this? Sitting in a hotel room in Pocatello, ID.:doh: :argh:

Glad no one at home had any serious problems.

The tornado path just missed the parking lot at the RH train station. While I was on the train home (the ONE day I get to leave early!!!), it passed us less than a mile on HWY 10. Debris and hail were falling on the train as we pulled into Hurst/Bell station, we were instructed to all move to the bottom floor of the train and sit in seats.

The sky to the west was black and blue. It looked like it hurt. The only time I've seen it that color, and that dark, was when I was riding the bike from
Durango to Mesa Verde, CO; at 3 pm, it was pitch dark. Then the sky opened with raindrops the size of coasters, hail, and danged strong cold wind and rain. That's the night I got snowed on in my tent.

We were stranded at Hurst/Bell, unable to go forward or back. A pole was on the tracks ahead, wire, branches, trees, etc..... behind and ahead of us. A woman who parks at RH was trying to calm her daughter on the phone who had driven out in it against her mother's advice, hail smashing in the windshield of her PT Cruiser so that it was hanging inside the front of her car, rain pouring in it. She took shelter inside the NE Mall.

meanwhile, everyone on the train is calling friends, spouses to get updates and reported another big revolving storm in between Azle and Weatherford, headed WNW. My place is right in its path.

Those that ride the train from RH keep asking me if I rode the bike that morning. A woman calls her boyfriend who comes to pick her up and drive to the train station; they offer me a ride there. The train was going to be there for quite some time until debris was cleared off the tracks and signals were working.

On the way to RH, we try to predict if we will have windshields or not. All I can think about is my bike at home. The tornado missed the station parking lot by barely a mile as we found out. But we all still had windshields.

I drove home with trepidation to find more roof shingles on the lawn, as numerous as fire ants, the bike still standing and fine, more trees down and branches everywhere, and the pond full of water. No satellite access, which I didn't care. I just wanted my warm bed.

The one day I leave early and it takes me 3.5 hours to get home. Didn't make Pep Boys in time.

I was glad I didn't ride the bike yesterday.

Looks like it was running the Railway Express tracks.
It did. Our train conductor was white as a sheet. Apparently it crossed the tracks ahead of us by a few minutes.

Wasn't so bad up on the north side of town. The line of storms came through Plano about 7PM. Lots of rain, wind, thunder, and some small hail. But apparently no damage.

FWIW, I've read that many people of the people injured & killed by tornados run outside to see what's coming and/or get a better look.

- JimY

We had a tornado come through Waco last summer. It nailed the Coca-Cola building on Franklin, which is 2 or 3 miles from my neighborhood. That's close enough for me.

Back