• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Ride Report] Saturday Stroll through Bug Land 8/28

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
I woke up and hit snooze a few times, but made it to the first meeting point right on time. Fueled up and headed up the tollway feeder with Jack (linjy2) and Stuart (Thermalser). We hit almost every red light possible :angryfir: , but made it up to Denny's for breakfast. Low was already there and eating - I guess those lights had slowed us down more than we thought. We chow down with Steve (stevestom) and Paul (scratch), then discuss the route. We were originally heading west, but with Paul sitting this one out there isn't a ride leader that knows the roads in that direction. We decide to head north instead and run through the forest. Brian (bcbickers) and Shanon (sbaker) join up at Denny's before we roll out.

Steve decided to skip breakfast and hit the road early to avoid the pending afternoon weather. Good idea :scratch . We picked up Debbie (Snoopster) in Tomball and headed up Honea-Egypt and Egypt-Community. The traffic wasn't horrible, the sun was still shining, and the pace was tame. We made it up to Montgomery and pull into the gas station to clear our visors. The love bugs are attempting to take over the world and it seems it's our job is to turn as many of them into mush as possible. We are doing our best, but have to clean our visors regularly to be able to see. Up north through Anderson, clean the visors again, then around on FM 244(?) to FM3090. Over to Navasota, and we stop at La Casita for lunch.

It feels good to get into an air-conditioned, bug free environment :-D . We all sense the eyes on us in the restaurant as our bug-gut-encrusted selves walk through and take our seats at the back. Stuart gets a snapshot of the carnage on the helmets. Hopefully he’ll post his pics… ;-) Tip of the day: Don’t use Wet Wipes on your mirrored visor. It eats away at the finish. Apparently don’t use ammonia either. I learned that you should place a wet paper towel over the face of the helmet while you eat lunch and the bugs will come off quite easily. Thankfully, there’s plenty of room around to put our gear, and we settle in for lunch. We discuss SV’s plenty – after all, there are three in a group of seven riders. That’s got to be some record :chug: . Great conversation. Insight from riders new and old. Now… which route back home? There’s the long way, the short way, the fun way, the boring way, and the way that includes ice cream :mrgreen: .

So of course the ice cream route wins… but Shanon and Brian are going to head back from here. The rest of us head back to Anderson and back down through the forest. Some rain along the way, which caused a puddle, which impaired visibility, which were all factors in Jack’s lowside :eek: . He seems Ok – he and the bike are covered in mud. I assumed he had just slid off to the side, but apparently he rolled a few times. Debbie saw the whole thing as the next rider and managed not to fixate. Stuart and Debbie picked him up (Low and I had stopped and were far back from them) and they looked over the bike and rider for damage. Miraculously, not much to either 8-) . The frame slider did its job perfectly. Kept the tank protected, all the plastic in tact, no rashing that I could tell (although it would help to clean the bike to see for sure), a cracked signal up front, and a bent clutch cable thingy. His helmet has no rash, but the grass shifted his vent cover. He was wearing a leather jacket (even though he wanted the mesh in today’s heat ;-) ), but the water probably just hydroplaned him across the pavement and into the dirt.

He was sooooo close – King’s (and Blue Bell) were only a half-mile away. We get the bikes parked and decide to sit inside – the air conditioning and dry air awaiting us. Ice cream all around – and a wet rag to clean up some more. The clouds are dark to the south – but we have no idea which way they're going. Somehow, my idiot self decides it’s not worth the time to put the rain gear on, and it’s too hot out. :headbang:

Debbie heads for home, and Stuart has a place to sit out the storm in Tomball, so he, Low, Jack and I start south towards Houston. Not five minutes down 149, and it’s raining. No, actually, it’s pouring. The rain drops sting as they hit, but are making me quite cool at the same time. My toes start getting squishy, rain is running down the inside of my visor, and I can’t see anything in front of me. This isn’t safe, but where can we stop? The first gas station we come across is at the end of 149 where it hits 249. We pull under the awning alongside a few other bikes, and try to figure this out. Where’s Stuart? Do we wait?

The police pull up and a guy riding a Hyabusa starts making his complaint. No, it had nothing to do with us. Seems he wasn’t being amicable with the clerk in the store. It’s a strange situation, but thankfully he seems calm. Stuart rolls on by with full rain gear on, but doesn’t see us under the awning. I put on my rain jacket, but the jeans are soaked so there’s no point putting on the pants. The jacket is mostly to keep me from getting pneumonia. We get word from a local that the storm is coming up from the south. He thinks that heading south now would be the best idea. We wipe our visors, zip up, and head out. It’s still raining, but not quite as hard. Hopefully we’ve passed the brunt of it. There’s some high water along the right lane, but the pickups out ahead gave plenty of warning by throwing a wall of water off the road. It’s dry on the left, so we manage to get through. Low breaks off at 2920 to stop at the Kawasaki dealer. Jack and I finally reach the tollway and head for home.

My boots are squishing, everything on me is dripping wet, and I’m cold – but I’m home. Dry clothes. Warm blanket. Nap… :sleep:

‘Twas a great day of riding. Glad to see a new face and lots of familiar ones, and glad that everyone walked away in one piece. The rain cleaned off most of the bugs, so we won’t have to scrub our bikes like we thought. Thanks to all of you for putting up with me and the unknown route. (If anyone finds route directions in a Denny’s menu let me know. We never found them :rofl .)

Kinda glad I missed the rain when it started raining HARD in Sugar Land a bit after I woke up. :-D

Also glad to here Jack and his bike are ok.

Thunder and rain woke me from my nap in the early afternoon, and I started wondering if you guys were going to run into any weather. Sounds like it was a real adventure, and I'm relieved to know that everybody made it back in pretty good shape. Honestly, except for the bugs, I wish I could have joined you. ;-)

some pics of the bike and gear

housing cracked but light still works.
DSC04000.jpg

nates motosliders to the rescue
DSC04001.jpg

leverandstand.jpg

bent shift rod
DSC04008.jpg

minor scuff on left elbow, left back of jacket, and left side of belt
crashgear.jpg

shoei helmet, zero scratches but the plastic vent thingy on the top left swiveled. I just swiveled it back in place.

Brian (bcbickers) and I work together and I have been talking to him for quite a while about bikes and riding (he says pushing him into it) and had planned on riding together for the first time this weekend. I saw Rebecca’s post and thought it might be nice to join in for the fun. Brian was good with so we decided to go for it. A few days before the ride we got some bad news his bike was overheating and he wouldn’t be able to ride it. Being resourceful and kind (in my own mind anyway) and desperate to get out of the house (it was my daughter’s wedding shower and that many women in one place make me nervous (especially when one of them is my mother in law)) I offered the use of my little Ninja. He liked that idea and drove out to Kingwood to Saturday morning from Katy and we headed out from here.

All in all it was a great afternoon and a pretty reasonable adventure even (or especially) if we weren’t on anything like a Scott’s GS or a V-Strom and I want to than Rebecca and Stuart, again, for their organizing and leading.

The bugs were thicker than anything I have seen before. Riding through them had me thinking of WWII movies like the Battle of Britain where the pilots are flying through anti-aircraft fire. The little critters were popping into the bike and face mask sounded like itty bitty machine gun bullets hitting and worse it seemed like they were all aiming for my helmet visor. First ride I have been on where we had to stop multiple time just to clean bug guts, since we could no longer see through the visors. It did give me a chuckle to think about all the folks who don’t wear helmets or full face helmets and what they were going through (How do love bugs taste?). They were so bad they were getting spattered on the backside of my tank and on the instrument panel!!!

Brian learned a good lesson: Don’t try and wipe bug guts from your face shield ;-)

After lunch Brian and I had to split off and get back home so we headed (after a false start in the wrong direction) down 105 back to Kingwood. We could see dark clouds in the distance but hoped they would disappear somehow. We caught a few small showers on the west side of Lake Conroe but the heaven’s opened with a deluge between the lake and Loop 336. Worried about time overcame good sense and we tried to push on through even though the rain had traffic on I-45 and the feeder stopped and there were small streams running though the intersection. (Note to self: If cars are pulling over for the weather find the closest cover and pull over!) We pushed on through as best we could down 336 and turned onto 1314 until we found a gas station and I pulled over. We were as soaked as we could be and the folks running the station were looking at us with that same amused tolerance usually reserved for drunks and the mentally challenged.

As we waited it out it got much worse. At one point the rain was falling sideways and blowing completely through the covered area by the pumps. (We didn’t wait inside because we didn’t want to leak all over the station, besides, it was too cold inside as wet as we were.) After about 20 or 30 minutes the rain seemed to settle down and we headed out again. A few miles down the road, just past 242, the rain stopped and by the time we reached Porter the road was dry. Man was it cold, I know I was shivering and trying to tuck in as close behind the windscreen as my fat belly would allow. By the time we got home it was clear that it hadn’t even rained over here!

Once we got here the wedding shower was still in full swing. I protected Brian by keeping him out of the house. I did give Brian a dry shirt and a beach towel. He headed home and amazingly he said he would be out again as soon as he could!

Well from the sounds of it everyone had a pretty decent ride, minus the obvious… Bugs and Rain… My greatest lesson learned for me was to never use a Wet Wipe on my shields again :shame: now I’m debating weather to buy another mirrored shield or not. To tell the truth I was hoping for a small amount of rain on the way home to help wash off the bugs and guts… but not to the extent that we got…Parts of the rain ride home almost could have been considered fun but not when visibility was less then 20 feet. Unfortunately, now I’m fighting off a cold.. I guess 50 miles in the rain doesn’t do a body good at all. But thanks to my old friend Jack D. and his partners Lemon & Honey I will be kicking this other bug soon and be back on the road again. So when’s the next ride… :party

Low said:
Unfortunately, now I’m fighting off a cold.. I guess 50 miles in the rain doesn’t do a body good at all.

Sounds like another good reason to wear an ugly yellow Aerostitch Roadcrafter. Last month I rode several hours through heavy rain and only had a little rain get in at the neck.

Being wet would have really sucked when our route continued through the New Mexico mountains where it had just snowed. Needless to say, it was a little chilly.

Dude! I just did the visual of the yellow 'stitch on the green bike, it wasn't a pretty combination. It would kinda look like...well nevermind :-P

sbaker33 said:
Dude! I just did the visual of the yellow 'stitch on the green bike, it wasn't a pretty combination. It would kinda look like...well nevermind

But, a visual that not many people on the road would miss. Which I think is way more important than color coordination. Of course, if you ask my spousal unit, she will affirm that I am not really a color coordinated person.

I want to thank Squeaky for organizing another ride & to Thermalser for leading the ride. I appreciate everyone accommodating me & changing the route to allow me to tag along. :-P The luvbugs were definitely out in full force. I could only duck behind my windscreen for so long before I couldn't even see through that. At one point while waiting for the rest of the group, I swear that they were swarming around us. I thought it was hilarious when a rider flew by us w/ just a bandana around his nose & mouth. Was he wearing any goggles???

I'm glad to hear that Jack is doing all right. His lowside was my first to witness and it all seemed to be happening in slow motion. I believe his back tire came out from under him in the wet curve and he and the bike began tumbling separately down the embankment. I think the mud & grass helped cushion the blow. Luckily I wasn't following too close behind & could pull over calmly & check on him. His first comment was, "Are the guys behind us okay?" We had lost sight of Low & Squeaky. I told him that I thought they were all right & did he want help standing his bike up. After looking over the bike, we headed towards Kings. The waitress was probably not to happy to see our bug infested selves and commented that we were smelly. How rude!! :eek:

I was fortunate enough not to hit any rain on my way back to Huntsville and spent an hour cleaning up my bike. All in all I enjoyed the ride & seeing everyone (new & old).

man yall look like i did last year in sept. i went to columbia,miss. for three days,750 miles of love bugs, talk about stink,the bike smelled the worst,the radiators cooking the lb's,took two hours to clean my air filter, thankfully it was reuseable or i would have to thrown it away.yall's day was definately an adventure with the weather and the lowside, glad to here everyone made it home safely.nice pic's too.

Back