• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Generic Question Re: Service Reporting

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Brandt
I have a question about what a reasonable customer expectation is for the level of detail provided to the customer on motorcycle service work performed.

I have tried on a couple of occassions to provide the repair shop with a couple of pages with blanks for service tech comments, or check marks, where no comment was necessary for the items listed in the routine service for my bike. So far I have never received any of these with any markings on them when I picked it up. I also included a formatted area to show which, if any, valve clearances needed adjusting, and in which direction. I didn't expect actual starting tolerances, but just a general sense of which clearances had changed.

I know places like Jiffy Lube give the customer a receipt with pre-printed checklists of all items they check/adjust/replace and expect it helps the remind the techs what items are expected of them. The receipts I have received simply state "18K service" with itemized fluids/parts. So I guess I actually have two questions.

1) Is the level of detail I expect reasonable, and for that matter of any value (either to me, or the shop itself)?

2) Does anyone have experience with shops that provide a more detailed report of work done as a standard practice?

Thanks for any insight that you may provide.

At the prices most shops charge for service I would demand that the proper procedure be followed and the checklist with details be filled out and the bike washed and waxed before return . That is probly why I service my own . I dont even fool with warranty work unless it is major repair , just too much trouble . SEYA

:tab I have come to expect VERY little from dealerships.

:tab After years of trying to be an accommodating and reasonable customer, I eventually realized it did not help. I would always try to drop off the bikes when I did not need them back in a hurry so they would not be rushed. I never called back and hassled them about when it would be ready. I always told them up front exactly what I wanted done and I did not add extra stuff to it after the fact. Even when I was offered a pickup/delivery option I declined and took the bike to them and picked it up so they would not have to take the time to send someone to do it. When something was done wrong I did not go nuts or pitch a fit. I would simply point it out and ask that they fix it. I work with hot headed people everyday so I have a LOT of experience in keeping my voice and attitude calm, non sarcastic, and non hostile. That did not seem to help. I have a bunch of dealership horror stories that just don't make sense because they simply did not have to turn out that way if the people would have simply done their jobs even at the minimal level of competence. I mean, I don't expect the world from these people and I don't make crazy demands on them. Perhaps they take that as a cue that I am someone they can just take for granted and maybe I should have been more pushy :shrug:

:tab I have had MUCH better experience with private shops!!

Back