• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New tires: strange looking mount?

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could find my digital camera...

I had a set of the new Avon Storm tires mounted on the SV last Friday. They ride great and seem to grip really well but on Sunday when I went out to do my weekly tire pressure check I noticed that the front wheel looked different. Lacking photos, I will attempt to describe what I'm seeing:

Most tires, including the rear Avon on the SV1K and both the front and rear on the 919 are snug up against the upper lip/edge of the rim. I noticed that the front tire on the SV had a bit of a gap between the uppermost edge of the rim and the rubber tire itself. Almost like the tire wasn't wide enough to fill the rim completely. This gap seems to be the same width on both sides of the wheel and even all the way around the rim. The tire is the correct size (according to the sidewall) and it was mounted at CTPS where I've had very good service so far.

Is it possible that the new tire design just mounts slightly different than previous tires or should I bring the bike back and have this checked?

Clear as mud?

I think I know what you're describing and if it is what I'm thinking about than yes your normal. Some tires just have a different shape around the bead that makes them appear not to be seated on all the way.

But lets still see a picture to be sure.

This gap seems to be the same width on both sides of the wheel and even all the way around the rim.
Based on this statement, I'd bet it's fine. I'd find it extremely unlikely that tire would fail to seat properly but evenly all the way around and on both sides. But, I'd still like to see a photo.

How about double-checking the size and direction arrow?

What exactly is the size of that tire? It doesn't look seated to me. I don't buy a new tire design theory.

If memory serves me right the SV1k uses a 180 on the rear and I've seen people put on the wrong 180. Some manufacturers make a 180 for a 5" rim and a 5.5" rim. But I've never seen a front 120 that was for 2 different width rims. I don't think they exist. Is your rim stock? There are fronts designed for a 130.

Have it looked at ASAP or we'll be reading about you in an obit thread.

I'll bet the side wall on your previous tire was softer (some would say "broken down") due to age or rubber compound and filled that gap, and the newer tire has a new, and more stiff side wall. That's one of the reasons new tires handle so much better right off the bat. The side wall will soften over time and I'll bet it looks more like the old one by late spring. A stiffer side wall may also be the way that Avon achieved the profile for that model of tire. You're probably noticing something that is just different, not wrong. Take it to Lonestar BMW and ask them to look at it and tell you if it's correct/normal. They have a LOT of integrity and will provide a great second opinion. Send the pic's to Avon and ask them about. Their response may be VERY interesting in a variety of ways.

Check your tire pressure religiously just in case.

David

I'm no tire expert, but it looks fine to me. If its holding air well and is even all around, its good to go IMO.

If your worried about it, take it back and have them look at it. peace of mind is worth a lot

That looks exceedingly weird. I'd find it hard to believe that it would hold air with any integrity if it's not seated right, but it still makes me real nervous to see it like that. I'd check to see that it's not a 110 (or 100?) tire, (I assume you actually have) then start checking around, cross-referencing, and asking the installer/ stealership/ Avon if it seems right.

I have sent an email to Avon with the pics above, so we'll see what they say. I appreciate all the assistance on this.

I have checked the tire size and direction at least 3 times now: 120/70ZR17 58W (normal size) and the direction is correct. The rear tire does not have the same "lip" on the rear rim as the front does, but they are different tires...And yes, the wheels are stock.

I'll bet good money that Avon says it's just normal. Pic one doesn't really show the bead IMO, pic two is awesome, it shows the tire all the way up against the bead, and pic 3 is showing a really dark shadow which could be mistaken for a gap between the tire and the rim.

if it was me, I'd let the air out of the tire, put soapy water around the rim to make it slick and then inflate to 10 psi more than normal and see if the tire "pops out" onto the rim a little better.

Looks fine to me.
That tire apparently has a different cross-section shape than usual. It looks like the sidewalls are straight wrt the ground, whereas most other tires will bell outwards more and thus meet the flare of the rim. It's as if the tire is too narrow, but you've verified it's the correct size so it's just the design of it.
Remember the seal is not made at the last flare of the rim, but around the bead of the rim.
Like Bill stated, pic2 shows the tire is fully seated.

Dave

if it was me, I'd let the air out of the tire, put soapy water around the rim to make it slick and then inflate to 10 psi more than normal and see if the tire "pops out" onto the rim a little better.

Hmmm...that's not a bad idea...Will it work with the front wheel on the ground? I don't have a centerstand or a front stand to lift it.

If you're still really unsure I'd just wait till Avon gets back with you before you deflate and soap your front wheel. I'll bet you almost anything that they are going to say that it is just fine.

yes - it will work with the front wheel on the ground.

JUST MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS NOT ON AN INCLINE ON THE SIDESTAND WHERE LETTING THE AIR OUT OF FRONT TIRE CAUSES IT TO FALL OVER..

It certainly won't hurt anything if you try it.

yes - it will work with the front wheel on the ground.

JUST MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS NOT ON AN INCLINE ON THE SIDESTAND WHERE LETTING THE AIR OUT OF FRONT TIRE CAUSES IT TO FALL OVER..

It certainly won't hurt anything if you try it.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

actually, NO, it will not work, the tire should have NO weight on it and, preferably, laying down on its side for a proper bead seat...

Your tire looks fine to me, I wouldnt dick with it. Its holding air, it doesnt wobble, no funny vibrations. Just differences in tire design.
NO worries...just ride...:rider:

A few additional pics:

pic4
pic5
pic6
pic7

Looking at this closely with a flashlight, it really looks like the tire just sits differently on the rim. It is evenly mounted on both sides and seems to ride just fine.

Last edited:
Here, this will make you feel much better. I'll come to your house, take your SV to a track day and see if the tire holds up. If it lasts 40 or 50 laps and all is well I'll bring it back to you.

See what a good guy I am!!! Still, after seeing those pics I think you're just fine. That tire just has a different shaped sidewall on it.

I would have it checked at a local shop...it doesn't look right to me. I have never seen a tire mounted like that.

Back