• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My little ride in Central Texas (and what I learned)

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I decided to take off after church and lunch for a "Sunday ride" yesterday. I had been out with some friends previously and wanted another crack at some of the roads we discovered. I wasn't wanting to go fast, just work on my technique and smooth things out a bit in preparation for the October Hill Country ride.

So I head out FM 436 and turn onto FM 1123 through Summers Mill. This road would be great if it wasn't for the holes and wear in the asphalt. More than once I could feel the rear wiggle about as it hopped into and out of a rut. I kept telling myself, "Stay on the gas no matter what" and sure enough, never lost traction. I got to Holland and figured I would make a pit stop for myself ;-) but alas, the good folks in Holland must never need gas as I did not see a single station there.

No matter-Bartlett was 5 miles on and I knew a good stop there. Of course, I felt every bump on the way :shock:

Once nature was taken care of I decided to try a different route. Instead of FM 487 toward Rockdale, I opted for 487 toward Jarell (sp?). It started off rather rocky as FM 487 east is pretty beat up in Bartlett and you have to contend with gravel a little too close for comfort. Once out of town it seemed fine, though not all that exciting. As I approached I-35, I was stuck behind a car doing 50 mph when suddenly :eek: the back end of the bike hits either gravel or sand and starts to move to meet the front tire. Instinctively, though not out of any skill that I know, I stuck my right foot out in the direction the bike was beginning to lean. It made contact and I basically pulled a motocross turn for 1-2 seconds. The rear met solid pavement again and the bike stabilized. I generally watch the road surface in front of me for obstacles, but I never saw anything of concern before that moment. Oh well.

The map showed FM 487 went straight through Jarell, but the reality of it was different. Going straight dumped me on CR 305 (not on my map), but I went with it figuring it would hit a major road eventually. After riding in the middle of nowhere for quite a while I ended up on FM 487. :-D Took it down to Florence and turn north on 195.

I had heard that FM 2484 was a great road to ride, so I figured I would give it a try. Turned east on 2484 from 195 and immediately saw a warning sign for deer for the next 18 miles. Right past the sign was a deer on the side of the road that had been hit by a car. :eek: Made a mental decision at this point to take it easy on this road. Well, it turned out to be a fantastic road-newly paved with lots of fast sweepers. Very pretty scenery as it transverses around the lake there.

Once back to I-35, I decided to head back for my traditional afternoon nap and motorcycle racing on SpeedTV. All in all a fun ride.

Sounds like a great run for you. Glad you made it through that rough spot Ok - putting a foot down on gravel is just instinctive, and it seemed to work for you.

I'm glad I did not have to deal with the love bug invasion on the ride, too! I certainly don't miss them (lived in Houston for 10 years).

Next time you're in that area headed west on 487 out of Jarrell, turn right at FM 2843 rather than going on to Florence. The next 7 or 8 miles consists of fast sweeping turns and near-perfect pavement. Turn left onto Cedar Valley Road (look for a little church on the right as you pass over a rise for your cue) and take that to Stillman Valley Road and make a right. That will connect you to FM 2484 right where the best curves begin after it crosses over the Lampasas River headed back towards Salado. There are lots of other good roads to explore in that area too. 8-)

Funny you mention that...I was browsing about on maps.yahoo.com and noticed the road you recommend. I remember passing it on the ride and wondering where it went. I'll have to check it out....

Thanks!

scratch said:
Next time you're in that area headed west on 487 out of Jarrell, turn right at FM 2843 rather than going on to Florence. The next 7 or 8 miles consists of fast sweeping turns and near-perfect pavement. Turn left onto Cedar Valley Road (look for a little church on the right as you pass over a rise for your cue) and take that to Stillman Valley Road and make a right. That will connect you to FM 2484 right where the best curves begin after it crosses over the Lampasas River headed back towards Salado. There are lots of other good roads to explore in that area too.

How do you remember that kind of stuff? To that detail?

Speaking for myself-I'm a UNIX geek. Numbers are easy to remember but I cannot remember someone's name more than 5 seconds after I meet them.

:tab Chris, when you lead the ride, or ride alone, you pay attention to such details. If you ride the area more than a few times, you train yourself to learn landmarks. Paying attention to your surroundings is really the key. When I do my ride reports I basically lean back, close my eyes and reride the roads in my head. All the sights, sounds, smells, etc,... come right back to me all over again. Looking over the route on the maps does the same thing as well.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
When I do my ride reports I basically lean back, close my eyes and reride the roads in my head. All the sights, sounds, smells, etc,... come right back to me all over again.

So what does North Carolina smell like? :lol:

mrr1150gs said:
How do you remember that kind of stuff? To that detail?

Actually, I had forgotten the designation of FM 2843. That one just doesn't stick in my mind for some reason. So I refreshed my memory by consulting my "Roads of Texas" atlas. :mrgreen:

I know all those roads by visual cues and could lead a ride out there without looking at a map or road signs, but that's the result of a lot of exploration. A whole lot. I stored my last two bikes in my brother-in-law's hanger near Hearne for almost 4 years, and (being a single guy with no attachments) I had nothing better to do than drive out there most weekends, suit up, get on the bike and head off wherever the road would take me. I developed a fondness for that particular area because it reminded me so much of the Hill Country but only took an hour or so in riding time to get there.

musty, sweet, damp, clean, cut grass, rotting leaves... it goes on and on... The sensations of riding in the deep woods on the mountains is hard to describe. That area is considered to be a tropical rain forest because of the amount of rain it gets every year. It is exceptionally lush. Water is everywhere even when it is not actually raining.

Adios,

Yes, the smells...

On those Central Texas rides, I always noticed where I caught the first whiff of cedar in the air. Usually it was somewhere right around the second 90-degree sweeper on 487 west of Jarrell near the rock quarry.

I've got to get back out there again sometime.

I am bad about memorizing road numbers unless, I ride them a lot. I am real good with my since of direction (north, south, east, west) and tend to just wonder in the general direction I'm headed. I did keep a simple, well marked map in my tank bag when I went to North Carolina. I didn't want to get too far off track.
I used to race off road for years and I too am in the habit of putting a foot out when I break traction but, I have heard that on the street it is not good. It hasn't hurt me yet but, my dad has had a few injuries from that practice. I guess he's doing something wrong. :huh:

wc,

Surprised we haven't crossed paths on some of those roads sometime. I always enjoy stopping at Summer's Mill crossing and listening to the waterfall. Check your map and find Andice, out west of Florence. Home of the Andice General Store. Good place for a coke break under the shade tree while you watch the cars and occasional cycles go by. You can double back and take 2843 that was mentioned into Salado where you can head home or go back over to Holland and retrace back into Belton (my home) before heading home to Temple. Definitely some good riding to be had in our neck of the woods.

Ride safe!

Mark
748S
SV650

MGN54 said:
wc,

Surprised we haven't crossed paths on some of those roads sometime. I always enjoy stopping at Summer's Mill crossing and listening to the waterfall. Check your map and find Andice, out west of Florence. Home of the Andice General Store. Good place for a coke break under the shade tree while you watch the cars and occasional cycles go by. You can double back and take 2843 that was mentioned into Salado where you can head home or go back over to Holland and retrace back into Belton (my home) before heading home to Temple. Definitely some good riding to be had in our neck of the woods.

Ride safe!

Mark
748S
SV650

How cool is that...Belton! We'll have to meet up sometime. I'm in downtown Temple. 04 asphalt VFR.

I have a memory as big as a piece of paper.

So I use a grease pencil to write the road numbers and directions on my gas tank. That way I can draw a map as I go and it is easy to back track and take other roads. After the ride I track the roads on a mapping software and add roads as I return to the same area to explore some more roads. Works great because I can’t lose the piece of paper. :oops:

Back