• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How to be seen

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
I commute 35 miles one way, in the dark to work. My route takes me straight down I-35 on one of the ten worst sections of freeway in the country. Lately I have felt I needed some added advantage to be seen by the other traffic as many stretches of this road have no lighting.

To put the odds closer to my favor I've done a couple of things. Most people are familiar with my two yellow helmets. This was the first change I made and difference was amazing. You can see people looking at you as the color grabs their attention.

Second, I added Hyperlites. They are LED supplemental lights mounted beside the license plate that flash rapidly for 5 seconds every time the brake is applied. I can't quantify the difference, but feel they make a big difference as well.

Next up was 2" red/white safety tape. I just recently added it so I really can't comment as to its effectiveness.

I thinking about a high-viz jaccket as well. What have you done?

IMG_1874.jpg

Last edited:
I wear a red Joe rocket jacket (mesh in summer/balistic 5.0 winter) and I am going to go to a different color helmet (silver?). I have also installed the HD rear turn signal conversion kit. It changes the orange rear lenes to red and turns them into brake lights while keeping them turn signals. They make a LED kit that goes into the back rest, but that gets covered up so it wouldn't do much good. I see very few HD folks wearing other colors than black so I think I am doing the right thing.

Second, I added Hyperlites. They are LED supplemental lights mounted beside the license plate that flash rapidly for 5 seconds every time the brake is applied. I can't quantify the difference, but feel they make a big difference as well.
I just replaced the wimpy Givi brake light bar in my wife's Atlantic top case with one of the universal Hyperlight modules. It was a custom job but the results are a much brighter third brake light plus the flashing.

One note - The Givi wiring only passes the brake hot and a ground through two contact connectors in the top case. The optimum Hyperlight installation includes a switched power input (brakelight) as well - this makes the hyperlight like another tail-light. I tied the switched brakelight power (gray wire) to the brake power (red wire) - this makes the unit work only as a brake light - it still flashes for 5 seconds initially and then stays steady as long as the brake is applied, but it goes dark when the brake is released.

I also added some color-matching blue reflective tape to my top case as well... I have the V-Strom Hyperlight kit - I just need some time and courage to unmount my luggage side and top racks and take apart the back end. (if you knew how much trouble I had putting the racks ON, you'd understand why I DON'T want to take them off...)
:mrgreen:

The GS was easy. Three screws and the entire tail light compartment drops out the bottom of the tail section.

I thinking about a high-viz jaccket as well. What have you done?

I have done exactly that: 3M Solas tape all over the bike, Hyperlites and the Hi-Viz jacket. The first time I wore it some friends were meeting me out in Marathon for a race and they said they could see the jacket a mile away on the highway.

Only one problem...I was walking through a restaurant out in the middle of nowhere between Austin and Port A when I hear a mother and her boy talking about me. She is saying, "It's okay, go ahead and ask him." He was too embarassed so I stopped, knelt down and asked him what he wanted to know. He looked at the ground, shuffled his feet then blurted out, "Are you a fireman?" I almost sold left the jacket in the dumpster in the parking lot. ;-)

105088066-S.jpg

Only one problem...I was walking through a restaurant out in the middle of nowhere between Austin and Port A when I hear a mother and her boy talking about me. She is saying, "It's okay, go ahead and ask him." He was too embarassed so I stopped, knelt down and asked him what he wanted to know. He looked at the ground, shuffled his feet then blurted out, "Are you a fireman?" I almost sold left the jacket in the dumpster in the parking lot. ;-)

105088066-S.jpg

Now that's funny! When I'm asked, I just say "No, I work for a living". :mrgreen:

Now that's funny! When I'm asked, I just say "No, I work for a living". :mrgreen:

Actually, I told him what I do for a living and his eyes got even wider if that is possible.

I was riding back from Canada last summer and stopped in some roadside motel in the panhandle. My wife and I were completely geared up like power rangers and we and the GS were wet and filthy with dirt and road grime. As we rolled to a stop a young boy was walking past. He swiveled his head to watch us the whole way until he bumped into the lobby doors. We dismounted and followed him in. Just as we opened the lobby door we could see him tugging frantically on his dad's shirt tail, pointing out at us and rambling breathlessly, "Dad, Dad, there's a REALLY big motorcycle like a dirt bike and and and they're wearing all this STUFF!!!!" I never cease to be amazed and pleased at the looks you get from the boys strapped in the back of the family sedan as we roll past. I imagine the conversations THOSE families will have that afternoon and all through the teenage years about motorcycles.

I LOVE the reflective tape however one of the small but annoying downsides to the great 3M tape and all the reflective stitching on gear nowadays is nighttime pics are tough to capture. It usually reflects so much light my flash either doesn't go off or, if I force it on, it overwhelms the picture. After 700 miles of riding my hands are usually shaking too much for long exposures So I just go with the pschadelic starburst affect. It's kinda like my night vision ever since I had RK surgery 15 years ago....

17761989-S-1.jpg

I really like the neon yellow (which looks green to me) that many bicyclists wear now. I saw some jackets at Lone Star in either yellow or orange.

I also noticed some new signs on 183 north that are a piercing yellow. I've seen several of the BMW riders wearing beige or silver jackets with orange reflective stripes that really stand out.

With so many vehicles running headlights during daylight now, these jackets help the rider stand out. They could also be a lifesaver if you ever have to leave the bike during an accident. The rider would definitely stand out in that situation.

Sorry, not sure of the manufacturers of either of these jackets.

I have White/black reflective tape on my helmet. With all the hrad movement I figure it should catch a cager's eye.

pb_1002.jpg

For those folks that have GIVI cases. Placing white reflective tape behind the red lense makes your cases way more reflective. The case on the right does not have tape behind the lense.

IMG_0997.jpg

Hyperlights, reflective stickers and such from http://www.nightfirepatches.com, Hyperlights, my London Issue Police jacket with "Police" left uncovered, a new headlight relay set-up with a 30 amp for the high and for the low beam, bright colors on the helmet with a reflective sticker square in the middle on the back, comming soon will be a set of PIAA 1100x lights up front...led turn signals on the back (much brighter and visible)

And last, but not least.....dog ears on my helmet :)

I've got a pair of motolights mounted on the front calipers. It gets the attention of the cagers coming at you.

Current Cycleport jacket and pants with reflective striping. The previous owner installed a LED tail light that I am not sure if it dose much. It sort of rotates when the brake light isn't applied then flashes when it is applied. I hope it helps. It seems too small.

My biggest problem when riding at night or early morning isn't the guy behind me its the mini van who never looked left when they merge into my lane.

I am going to upgrade my rear brake light and I am going to ad a constant on side marker in my turn signal.

A guy I ride with has a set up kinda like this. He puts on one of those mesh yellow vests that construction workers, etc wear over his ATGATT. That and his white helmet really get him noticed.

Cagers think he is a cop, they even pull over for him. It is amazing.

I use the Ghostrider method. Set my self on fire and ride....but only for very short distances.

ghostrider1.jpg

I've got a set of Tailbrights on the ST1300. Used some of the "extra" reflective strips and stuck them on the VFR bags and the back of the helmet.

Added a TWTEX reflective sticker to the helmet and topcase on the VFR.
Doubt its going to do much, but it gave me a good excuse to get them! :trust:

AusFletch, I can vouch for those jackets being VERY visible. I've seen a few in packs of bikes and you can't miss them. I nearly bought one, but my Belstaff fit enough better to make me get that vs the Olympia.
My jackets (Belstaff and Tourmeister) and Olympia pants have reflective striping, not as much as I'd like, but something is better then nothing.

I'm all for adding color/reflectivity to your gear, I still ride like they can't see me, cause if they do, they are aiming :wary:

To put the odds closer to my favor I've done a couple of things. Most people are familiar with my two yellow helmets.

Two helmets! At once? Yeah, that'd sure get MY attention. :eek:

:mrgreen:

I have to admit that I like the idea of the flashing tail light thingy, but I am quite intimidated by modifying anything electrical. It scares the bejezzes outta me...especially with the recent threads of exploding motorcycles. :eek2:

This is what i did recently to help my commute be a bit safer (click on pic for short vid).

th_MS150009.jpg

:rider:

We know that can't be your bike Brian or is a really old pic, it is still in one piece :mrgreen:

:clap: So... when is the intervention? We all go to his garage and put it back together while he's at work...

Back