• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Al's Steakhouse - Talahina,Ok

Reaction score
Rode up to Mena Saturday and camped at Winding Stair Emerald Cove campground Saturday night. Headed out Sunday morning and stopped for breakfast at Big Al's. I ordered 2 eggs over medium, pork shops, hash browns and biscuit with gravy. All good but I gotta say those pork chops alone were worth going back for. Got to talking to the waitress, they've been open less than a month. I was told Joy was the cook that morning and co-owner with her husband, Big Al. I talked to Joy and Danny?, her mother, and they kept telling me Al's steaks were much better than Joy's pork chops. I tell ya what, I'm tied up for the next two weekends but I'm headed back as soon as I can. If Big Al's steaks are half as good as Joy's pork chops, I've found nirvana. BTW, the biscuits and gravy were top notch too. I noticed they have chicken fried steak on their lunch/dinner menu. I could be moving out of state soon.

Rode up to Mena Saturday and camped at Winding Stair Emerald Cove campground Saturday night. Headed out Sunday morning and stopped for breakfast at Big Al's. I ordered 2 eggs over medium, pork shops, hash browns and biscuit with gravy. All good but I gotta say those pork chops alone were worth going back for. Got to talking to the waitress, they've been open less than a month. I was told Joy was the cook that morning and co-owner with her husband, Big Al. I talked to Joy and Danny?, her mother, and they kept telling me Al's steaks were much better than Joy's pork chops. I tell ya what, I'm tied up for the next two weekends but I'm headed back as soon as I can. If Big Al's steaks are half as good as Joy's pork chops, I've found nirvana. BTW, the biscuits and gravy were top notch too. I noticed they have chicken fried steak on their lunch/dinner menu. I could be moving out of state soon.

I was there a week ago...had the 8oz ribeye w. mashed potatoes...INCREDIBLE!:eat:

Ribeye....MMMMMM! Will be a few more weeks before I can make it back. But I will. Make it back.

My girlfriend is coming into town for an extended weekend. We're going up to Talihina for a couple of days. My mouth's watering already. :eat:

And if you go to Mena, AR - try breakfast at the Skyline Cafe. Their biscuits are the best I've ever had a restaurant. The rest of the breakfast is good too. Make sure you get there kind of early, because they only make so many biscuits and you may miss out - as a friend of mine did on our ride.

Well Susan and I went up to Talihina last weekend (June 23-25) to scout out some property. She's from Amarillo and had never been to that part of Oklahoma. I insisted on dinner and breakfast at Big Al's both days. I'll just say right now I was disappointed with the steaks but definately not let down by the pork chops at breakfast. The steaks were tasty but small. And by small I mean "thin". Sorry but I'm a born a bred Texan. My steak needs to be THICK! It was cooked properly and tasted just fine but jeez, Joy's pork chops are twice the thickness of the steaks. Now granted, Big Al was out working fence (so I was told), so I can't be harsh. After all, how many of us work fenceline? Bottom line? Good breakfast place, but a heck of a lot of fried stuff and the steaks are good but not great.

Back